ParaNorman Reviews

August 28, 2015
Witty, understated, intelligent and fun. I don't think I'd change anything about it, the pace is perfect and the animation is great so the kids stay entertained while boasting satire that rivals the Simpsons. It manages to reinforce the message of tolerance while not forcing it down your throat which I also greatly appreciate. There aren't many movies that succeed in being family movies that don't make me want to poke my eyes out much less tolerate so this is a rare gem indeed (I saw a review stating that this is like a gateway drug to horror movies and that's a fantastically true!).
½ August 17, 2015
Cute and funny, albeit a bit on the childish side.
½ July 5, 2015
Paranorman was quite an odd film for me. I am I huge fan of Coraline so when I saw this advertised I thought I would like it the same. I wasn't quite right however. The animation was great and all and they sure put together a good cast but I just couldn't find myself to like it a lot. I felt like the film was very enclosed and in a certain space like the characters were just talking and not travelling. I don't like how films intertwine a love story in the film on purpose just to 'relate to everyone'. People are not going to watch Paranorman to see a love story, they will rent 'The Notebook' or something. It just doesn't work when you put love into this type of comic horror film, it just turns out to be cheesy. I know the love story was only a small portion of the film put it seemed to stick with me the most, not the main plot. So, Paranorman is ok but it isn't as good as Coraline that's for sure!
June 10, 2015
The biggest strength of Paranormal is its delicate entwining of messages - being tolerant and being valiant.
½ May 18, 2015
Extremely weak and disappointing compared to other stop-motion animated films.
August 6, 2012
It's a step down from Coraline, but ParaNorman is still charming (and not as scary as Coraline at least). It definitely got me psyched for Halloween.
½ May 21, 2015
Did not expect this to be half as good as it was. Seriously, it's incredible. Between this and Coraline, Laika has surpassed Aardman as my favorite stop-motion studio.
½ May 21, 2015
An animated love letter to horror movies.
½ May 17, 2015
Funny, scary and fantastic! 3D effects were really great! Nice voice casts and wonderful story. I think adults can enjoy it too! See it in 3D, if you can!
May 1, 2015
amazing. Norman is a fantastic and relatable character, and you really feel for him. the climax is my absolute favourite. the message is extremely valuable, even for adults. the animation is a 10/10, stop motion at its finest.
½ April 28, 2015
Yes, it's a zombie movie for kids, but there's some pretty scary moments and some priceless horror movie gags
½ April 13, 2015
84% on my Tomatometer.
February 17, 2015
Dark comedy suits this animated feature quite well, easily one of the best in recent years.
½ August 21, 2012
Something similar to the Sixth Sense (and perhaps the likes of Tim Burton's stop-motion films), although it has less of the horror, and more of the lovable and unforgettable humor the story and characters bring.
February 14, 2015
Movie was off to a long, shaky start .. very one-dimensional at first. then the heartwarming story, & the little bits of absurd humor made this movie good. Could've been a better & more realistic resolution. The most lovely scene was Norman with the little girl. A movie with good potential that didn't quite fulfill its possibilities.
½ February 12, 2015
Beautiful, artistic and with a great special message, ParaNormal is a wonderful animated film.
January 29, 2015
I really enjoyed this one, finding the flavors of the animation style blended well with it's humor, and it's message is fantastic.
½ February 1, 2015
This beautiful animation pushes further into the realms of awkwardness as a 'family film' then I've seen for quite some time- even its living characters are disturbingly ugly and the script weirdly surreal and unforgiving about the harsh reality of real life.

It is captivating though, and I laughed more at this then any other comedies I've seen recently.

I loved Coraline and feel they've once again done a great job here as well.
January 25, 2015
great animation with a interesting design for characters. Choose to tell an interesting story in a new angle.
½ October 5, 2014
This was a nice little surprise of a movie. I'm beginning to think that the team over at LAIKA are seriously here to play ball. "ParaNorman" carries a great story, gorgeous animation, and a bunch of colourful, well-written characters that are the driving force behind making this such a witty, hilarious, and heartwarming adventure that transcends age. I don't always say this, but "instant classic" applies here!