19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Last Man Standing: Season 3
—— Unforgettable: Season 3

ParaNorman Reviews

August 27, 2012
It has interesting themes of how cyclical societies are and its claymation is sometimes hauntingly beautiful, but the movie succumbs to a lot of cliches about weird kids who aren't understood by their parents (and of course the movie feels like it takes place in the early 70s).
February 6, 2014
Thought provoking, down to earth and unique, Paranorman is a shiny example of quality in animated ghoul films. Destined to be to halloween with The Grinch is to Christmas, Norman is an icon.
February 4, 2014
Spectacular, awesome details, nice spooky story...
February 4, 2014
Loved every ghostly, green second of it.
September 20, 2012
Amusing, unique, and funny; "ParaNorman" is a nice, little gem that tells a great story and a nice message. All kids and parents should pay attention to this flick.
February 1, 2014
I could not stop laughing! I rented the DVD from my public library, and bought the DVD shortly after. :)
February 1, 2014
ParaNorman is a very cute and entertaining uncomplicated kids film that can appeal to adults and kids alike.
The animation isn't perfect but it's so much fun that you can overlook the slight blemishes here and there as they don't take away from the film at all.
Simple fun and beautiful to look at, ParaNorman is an easy recommendation for anyone looking to get their kids into the spooky stuff but has watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown a few too many times.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

January 31, 2014
On the surface, Norman seems like just a normal kid who watches horror movies with his grandmother. But considering his grandmother is dead, being able to see her ghost and others like her might seem more than a little odd to other living human beings. But not to his friend Neil who Norman assists in reconnecting with his deceased pet dog. However, things are about to get a lot more serious than playing ghost whisperer when Norman's soon-to-be-dead uncle informs him of the oncoming apocalypse...

"Paranorman" is a very entertaining animated film that is alternately creepy and funny with more than its share of twists and turns and a cool message about how it is okay for a kid to be a little weird and like horror films. In fact, the movie is more intelligent and thoughtful than it has any right to be. Sure, there are a couple of unfortunate minor characterizations, one character I would have liked to have seen more of and some gross out humor for the kiddies. That's all small potatoes considering how even the throw away jokes hit the mark, along with a great Shakespeare joke.
August 22, 2012
Fun movie!! Good animation!!
Dave J
January 22, 2014
Wednesday, January 22, 2014

(2012) ParaNorman
COMPUTER ANIMATION
SUPERNATURAL ADVENTURE

From the makers of "Coraline" released in 2009, which is really another zombie movie I had never seen before combined with the "I see dead people" elements of "The Sixth Sense". It's called ParaNorman because aside from his uncle he's one of few who can see and speak to dead people. In movies in general it's hard to make a film to portray kids or people with special abilities to become outcasts since they contain something that's not often inherited most people these days can easily make money from as opposed to others who have to work longer and harder to achieve this for it's not like a power can just be handed to them. In this movie money is not the factor, it's more of the town itself which carries itself a very dark secret or past which is slowly unrevealed until the very end. Yes, in this movie, Norman can see dead people but can he also talk to dead people other people can see as well who are not ghosts who are as they say the walking dead or zombies. And the movie says why shouldn't he, which he does, something Norman didn't know at first he can do before. The other interesting thing I had never seen before was how the makers are able to scare the audience by showing the zombies only to have the audience sympathize with the walking dead later, since they have always been portrayed as disgusting, dangerous and irrational. In movies these days, everything is a possibility, its whether or not the makers are able to convince the audience to go along with it too, and in this case it succeeded- at least for me anyway.

3.5 out of 4 stars
May 19, 2013
it a scary movie and a super natural movie and it a 4 star film and it the great animated movie of haloween coming early
January 21, 2014
This movie is like an animated "Goosebumps" novel - genuinely scary (for kids), with a brilliant sense of dark humour, and a lot of parodies of horror cliches.
January 19, 2014
Neil (Tucker Albrizzi): What do we do Mitch?
Mitch (Casey Affleck): I dunno, I dunno!
Neil (Tucker Albrizzi): You're the oldest!
Mitch (Casey Affleck): Not mentally!

Quite honestly, the only reason I watched this film was because it was available on Netflix streaming, so I figured, what the heck, right?! But it turns out this movie actually laugh out loud hilarious and highly entertaining. The animation was superb but not distracting, it was wonderfully rendered; truly kudos to the animation team for putting so much effort in to this movie. The voice-acting was pretty decent too, I like that the actors are fairly well know but they aren't too recognizable that your not distracted and can concentrate on the film instead spending the whole film hearing Brad Pitt performing as Sinbad or someone equally as recognizable. The story was excellent and a tad bit different; I give it brownie points for it's originality. The plot had a refreshing and some predictable results but overall, it was really entertaining to watch the story unfold and more importantly the film didn't have to dumb down the humor or the story for kids or adults to enjoy, it was a fun movie that the entire family can appreciate. This is a definite must own for my viewing library and I tell everyone I know to go check it out. It's that entertaining. I really, really liked it. What else can I say?
ian h.
November 5, 2013
Great Animation, Clever Story, And Lots Of Fun
September 10, 2012
A genuinely spooky, often funny, fresh and smartly written movie with terrific animation and an exciting and thoughtful story.
jeffreyutley
June 26, 2013
Very, very good. 8.1/10. B+.
January 14, 2014
Unbelievably hilarious! I did not see it coming, and don't think it should be rated PG - there are too many adult words in it.
Erik R.
January 12, 2014
It is very difficult to write a movie or a book that can manage to appeal to both children and adults. Pixar can do it, and Studio Ghibli can do it. But can studio LAIKA, creators of Coraline and now Paranorman, do it?

Well... Coraline is one of my favorite animated films; my enjoyment has grown with each successive viewing. But Paranorman is no Coraline. In fact, not only does Paranorman not appeal to adults, but many parents question its appropriateness for children... a complaint which I care nothing about!

Coraline is almost certainly too dark and too scary for children - after all, the 'Other Mother' wants to sew buttons into Coraline's eyes and I imagine that'd freak out some youngins. That's no problem for me though, since I'm not a youngin and I don't have youngins. Instead, I appreciate the beautiful animation, the eccentric charm which every character exudes, and the script which explores childhood themes of angst and isolation and identity without ever devolving into cliche.

Paranorman, however, is a non-stop slideshow of cliche and stereotype. There's the charming fat kid (a staple of such films dating back, as far as I can tell, to Goonies and continuing on into more recent releases like Super 8 and now Paranorman). There's the means-well-but-insensitive father who wishes his son was less weird. There's the ineffectual mother. There's the teenage girl who only cares about boys. There's the muscular teenage boy who loves his car (cept for the throwaway, 'I'm gay' line... yeah what?). There's the bully picking on Norman. There's the ALL ADULTS JUST DON'T GET IT AND NEED THE YOUNG CHILD TO SHOW THEM WISDOM! Not a one of them is charming except for the fat kid Neil but his charm is so obviously manufactured that it only serves to further highlight just how stereotypical the whole shebang is.

The plot's not much better. Teenage boy is a little bit weird and therefore isolated. But his isolation allows him to become a hero (see image)! He doesn't give up even when everyone else does and then reveals the truth to those poor benighted mainstream fools. And within the last 20 minutes, every single character pulls a 180 and now appreciates our hero! Gee, never seen that plot before.

Paranorman isn't a bad movie. There's some gorgeous animation; I thought some of the skies were particularly well-done and the animation near the end was spectacular. But I found the fundamental story-skeleton - the characters, the plot, the ebb and flow of the action - to unequivocally fail to transcend the stereotypes that it co-opted.

Final Say: Paranorman's stop-motion animation is great and there's a handful of decent lines, but the film doesn't have much else going for it. Abundant use of stereotypes and trite plot lines keep the film from ever soaring.

How to Watch It: I wouldn't watch Paranorman unless I'd watched Coraline and Nightmare Before Christmas first. But if you watch them first, then you'll almost certainly realize just how inferior Paranorman is. Which doesn't exactly leave a lot of space for this film in one's animated film collection. So...

Trivia: Stop motion animation dates back pretty far, all the way to 1897. It became rather more famous with Willis O' Brien's work in King Kong. O' Brien's successor Ray Harryhausen is probably the most famous stop-motion animator of all time, with his mythology epics like Jason and the Argonauts, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, and Clash of the Titans (all of which I own, yay!).
November 29, 2012
Can I just love something without any explanation? Sure I can.
August 22, 2012
Spectacular craft here. Like, damn. And I think it works as a film much more than Coraline.