• PG, 1 hr. 44 min.

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Parental Guidance Reviews

Nicki M

April 27, 2013
Wasn't quite the suck-fest I pictured, but believe me, my expectations were way down for this one.
Found this quite watchable (once, anyhow, wouldn't watch it again). Decent cast lift it a bit too.
Anthony L

August 15, 2013
Surprisingly not crap. The only way I can describe it is that it's essentially an 80's film made in 2012. It is honestly a joy to see Billy Crystal and Bette Midler acting together in these roles, just when you think you can see a cliche coming, it diverts and turns into something different. Sure, there are elements that we've all seen before but it does it differently, instantly feeling like it is something fresh. Al the what would be schmaltzy preaching actually turns out to be valid advice, things get over the top but come right back down to earth without the bump. I liked it anyway.
Cynthia S

March 16, 2013
Decent, funny comedy, but nothing really special. Billy Crystal was very funny. The philosophy of old school vs, new school parenting had some good laughs, etc. But, it was just really average over all. Pleasant, but not memorable.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 26, 2012
Parental Guidance was a funny movie. The kids in the film are really cute, funny, and charming. It's a good movie for the whole family. The way our parents parented are much different then the way most parent today and this movie gives a great example of it. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler are some of my favorite actors. I loved seeing them together in this. They were a perfect match for the movie. Tomei and Everett are great as the up tight "share your feelings" parents. It's a fun watch if you get the chance to see it.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 24, 2013
Here come the grandparents. There go the rules.

Good Family Movie! You watch a movie with Billy Crystal to laugh, and he doesn't disappoint. Crystal keeps in tune with the easygoing wit that made his hosting the Oscars so funny. "Parental Guidance" is a return to what made him famous in the first place: nice, funny family-friendly comedy. Marisa Tomei is still a stunning beauty. She steals her scenes with unrivaled grace, no matter the movie, and here plays a mom different than her own parents. The comparison makes for a laugh in itself; especially where Crystal and Tomei interact. There's no smut, no swearing, and no vulgarity. "Parental Guidance" is a refreshing blend of old and new that proves what made the classic laughs so great. Well done.

Old school grandfather Artie (Billy Crystal), who is accustomed to calling the shots, meets his match when he and his eager-to-please wife Diane (Bette Midler) agree to babysit their three grandkids when their type-A helicopter parents (Marisa Tomei, Tom Everett Scott) go away for work. But when 21st century problems collide with Artie and Diane's old school methods of tough rules, lots of love and old-fashioned games, it's learning to bend - and not holding your ground - that binds a family together.
Al S

December 31, 2012
An absolutely outrageous and hysterical good time. A tremendously entertaining and heart warming comedy that will have you falling out of your chair laughing from start tot finish. A wonderfully hilarious family comedy that packs pure laughs and heart every which way. A brilliant all-star cast who have great chemistry together and great character development. Billy Crystal and Bette Milder have never been better or funnier, they are a comic dream team that know how to balance the laughs and the heart perfectly. It has big size laughs for both kids and adults. Director, Any Fickman crafts another enjoyable and fantastic comedy.
Everett J

January 18, 2013
Here's a comedy for families that the kids will enjoy, but the parents will like much more. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler star as grandparents who spend a few days watching their grandkids while the parents are on a business trip. Only these kids sheltered, pampered, and spoiled. It's old fashioned meets new wave, and its very funny. Crystal and Midler have great chemistry, and neither are annoying at all like they can be sometimes. Some of the movie is over the top with the situations the kids are in. But, I've been to little league games where the score isn't kept, and it's pretty ridiculous. Shines a good light on the way things are now in our society. Much funnier than I thought it would be, and worth a watch, especially for parents.
KJ P

December 31, 2012
Caked with cliches, slapstick, and suck-up drama, "Parental Guidance" is the most laid back film of the year. This is a film where every actor is washed up and ready to retire, and it's pretty much what the film feels like too. The filmmaking is as basic as you can possibly get and the acting is very stale. The most impressive performance is from the young actress, Bailey Madison, who has a very bright future ahead of her. I did not mind my experience of this film, and I even had tears in my eyes, but that is because life is life and it will give everyone something to cry about. I did not like this film, but it's not horrible!
Bradley W

December 29, 2012
Parental Guidance is exactly what it promises, a fogetful and meaningless family comedy without the laughs.
Fascade F

May 12, 2013
Artie Decker (Billy Crystal) is good at what he does. Being a radio announcer for a minor league baseball team for a long time he was sure that there was another season left in him to remain as an announcer. Management wants to revamp and upgrade the atmosphere of the stadium. Meaning that they have got to let the "aging" broadcaster go. When he gets home and breaks the news to his wife, Diane Decker (Bette Midler) she is enthusiastic about it because she wants to see the three grandchildren of her only daughter Alice (Marisa Tomei). Hilarious antics are sure to be enjoyed as you experience what happens as the grand parents and the grand try to cope and understand each other as the parents take some time off on a business trip. delightfully entertaining with one tear-jerker moment for me. Please see this it is entertaining!
SC007
SC007

January 2, 2013
The film was good but could have been so much better. It needed a rewrite. Some scenes were hilarious and other scenes were stupid. Also I think another director like Rob Reiner or Shawn Levy could have made this film much better. The film reminded me of movies like Cheaper By the Dozen, Yours Mine and Ours, Uncle Buck, and Parenthood. I also thought the tone of the movie was a bit off.

Billy Crystal and Bette Midler shine here. They have a great on screen chemistry. Marisa Tomei was also good as their daughter. The 3 kids in the movie were good too.

I definitely recommend it for Crystal and Midler's performances.
Jason C

December 28, 2012
Throw another one in the "why was this even made" column. Parental Guidance is probably the only movie so poorly written and directed that it makes Marisa Tomei seem like a bad actress and Billy Crystal and Bette Midler appear to not be funny.

There's no reason to write an in depth review because there isn't really much of a film. With so many jokes you could make about how children were raised versus how they are raised today, the writers couldn't come up with anything better or more original while writing a decent story. I'd think any experienced writer would have to TRY to make a movie this bad.

Midler and Crystal are still who they are, so there are a couple of funny parts, but poor Tomei. She was so miscast and did so poorly in Parental Guidance that I couldn't help but feel bad for her. The only bright side to this movie being made is that Bailee Madison got to be in and develop in another film. She's an OK actress, and might turn acting into a career at the rate she's going.

Parental Guidance doesn't have anything offensive, nasty, mean, or funny, and was pretty pointless and very unoriginal. Maybe a decade from now when Parental Guidance comes on TV late at night I'd say it would be good to watch. Otherwise, you'd be wasting your time watching it.
mpdanello
February 19, 2014
This is a great family movie for kids 5 and under and a good movie for adults too! There are lots of great laughs and Billy Crystal is great too!
Deckard42
June 29, 2013
F*** Prometheus, f*** Cabin in the Woods, this right here is the scariest movie of 2012. Scoreless baseball games, Jarvis-enabled houses, perfectionist parents, and a psychopathic kid who listens to his "imaginary friend" score Parental Guidance a trip to the mental ward.
holschuh4
June 27, 2013
I came away from this movie wanting to smack someone around! If I had to deal with the "rules" that were portrayed in the movie, I'd have packed up my bags and left!
June 12, 2013
It's a comedy that's moderately funny and maybe a bit flat. Frankly, I thought the best part was the end when Billy's doing a play by play on a kid mining a booger. THAT was funny.
May 25, 2013
You might actually be surprised at how funny this is. That or it's cuz I'm older that I found it funny. The stuff that happens in the movie as well as the differences between the parenting methods was actually amusing and they at least poke fun at the way some kids are disaplined anymore.
November 12, 2012
This is actually a really good family movie. The only problem is that Billy Crystal is the only character in the movie whose acting felt organic. Bette Midler was too over the top, Tom Scott was just bad and Marisa Tomei phoned it in. Acting aside, the movie (Billy Crystal) genuinely had me laughing thigh most of it and it is a movie I would gladly sit through again.