67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Paris Is Burning Reviews

Spencer S

August 8, 2014
This documentary is a beautiful time capsule of the "ball" culture of late eighties drag culture. Not only does it show the performance aspect of these intricate and flawless drag shows, but also the AIDS fueled hysteria of the time, discrimination against gay people, and the fears and doubts of these one of a kind people. Since the film was released, many of the performers have died of AIDS related illnesses, and many of their trade secrets and views on life are only evident on the celluloid that this film was printed on. The subjects of this two year documentary are fascinating because of their candor and reverence for their craft. The film is both insightful in its depiction of ball culture and thoroughly entertaining for its depth and scope.
Carlos M

June 5, 2014
A revealing (and sad) portrait of this subculture of the 1980s, it documents the balls, "houses" (or "families"), "voguing" and a "realness" competition that raises fascinating questions about what it is to be real (gay men even appear teaching women to behave like "real" women).
Christian C

May 21, 2013
A timeless, classic LBGT film. Quite bold for its time...which I guess means it isn't exactly "timeless"....still....
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 30, 2012
This documentary focuses on the aspirations and culture of African American homosexuals and transsexuals.
What is interesting about this subject is the depth of the culture. Filled with nuances and its own patois, gay and transsexual culture is remarkably complex, and the film exposes all.
I can't say that I enjoyed the film because I've never been sitting in my apartment and thought, "Gee, I wonder what gay culture was like in the 80s." But that's not the film's fault.
Overall, if you've ever been sitting in your apartment thinking, "Gee, I wonder what gay culture was like in the 80s," then this is the film for you.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

August 11, 2008
Intruiging documentary about the lives of homosexuals and drag balls in Harlem, specifically vogueing, the art of dancing in a way that rips off runway models. The way these people look at certain things in life, it's obvious they've become separated from reality a bit if only because of the way they've been cast away from the real world based almost solely on their seuxla preference. Updating it since, most of the people featured here are dead from HIV-related ilnesses, or in one case even murdered. They mean well, but they lead a dangerous life in a world that's never going to accept them in any mainstream way.
_kelly .

February 2, 2008
It's just fab that there are any documentaries as revealing and close to its subjects as 'Paris Is Burning'. An obvious landmark for queer filmmaking, a paradigm examination of documentary subjects - footage of people emoting and expressing raw feelings. Beautiful
John B

February 14, 2012
Good addition to the documentary canon of the gay/lesbian community. This one centres on drag queens and in particular minority drag queens. Once again reinforces the notion of the community coming in various colours.
March 12, 2013
It doesn't matter if you agree with a lifestyle or not. This documentary has a story, about an era of the scene of the Black and Latino gay community in NY, it has very personal human stories of hopes, dreams and everyday survival in a big city within entertainment. If you relate to the subjects or not is not the issue here, that's your personal view, but what counts is that it's a fact even if we do not dare watch it. It begins very straight forward and ends as an ode to that specific time and place in history.
A true testament of a well made documentary.
November 2, 2012
Genuinely interesting to see the dynamics within the drag communities, also a great portrait of New York in the 80s. I love the bizarre categories one can win 8 foot trophies for!
June 13, 2012
A timeless, classic documentary. One of the holy trinity of documentaries: Burden of Dreams, Grey Gardens & Paris is Burning.
sepio41
October 24, 2008
livingston's documentary is still a stunner after some 20 years. it is a source of personal heartbreak as well but i can't tell it because it's a spoiler. so see it, get to know and i'll share.
April 22, 2008
This is an extremely in-depth, interesting work of documentary filmmaking thanks in large part to the willingness of the subjects to speak openly. They give the film added poignancy and significance as a cultural commentary on a specific time and place that reflects a broader historical trend. Having watched it in a Humanities class about culture and identities, I can say the film certainly begs to be analyzed and discussed.
June 3, 2007
While the quality of the film is not the best, the central characters in this movie paint a vivid picture of growing up in the drag culture of Harlem in the late 1980s. I like the candidness of the film and the realness of the interviews given by the central people.
rockabye
May 30, 2007
amazing, awesome, fabulous film. I loved it and liked how I felt like I was transported back in time to the late 80's
August 20, 2014
an engrossing look into a sub-culture that could only exist in America. Also I never knew that Madonna co-opted her entire 90's style from African-American drag queens. well worth the time spent watching it...
Spencer S

August 8, 2014
July 29, 2014
Probably a little late in discovering this movie but everyone should watch it right now on Netflix. Seems like a quintessential LGBT movie but of course it also explores race on top of sexuality so well done <3 <3
March 18, 2014
Through acting like a certain part of society, these drags reveal the framework of all of society.
January 20, 2014
Its format is scattershot, but "Paris Is Burning" offers valuable insight into one of the most needlessly harassed and hated subgroups of modern culture.
Michael H.
September 14, 2013
Jennie Livingston' s movie succeeds by just allowing her subjects to be who they are and talk about what they care about. An approach that had proved successful for Earl Morris in GATES OF HEAVEN (though Morris' subjects wandered much farther afield). There's an undercurrent of danger and risk, displacement and isolation that lends an urgency to even seemingly frivolous pursuits.