Parker

Parker

41%

So Sick of Statham

Well, looks like Hollywood has finished their latest Jason Statham tailored generic action flick. This guy has so much potential with even a semi-decent director (Guy Ritchie, for example), but he squanders it all with these cheap, cookie-cutter action films. The trailer shows the terrible dialogue and tired one-liners that plague all his movies. I'm never sure if these actors are aware at how formulaic and terrible their movies are or if they are fully aware and just see dollar signs. It's not like he has to research anything for the role, he can just show up on set and do the same shit over and over. I'm sure he's got a team of yes men telling him he is the next Arnold or Stallone, but sorry Mr. Statham, you need to have some legitimate classics before people will watch your garbage as well
Tanner Lawrence
01-19-2013 09:44 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

El Squire

El Squire

It still knocks six bells out of Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher....I prefer Statham in the British environment but he always manages to entertain. Not one of his best films but I find it very hard to see how Jack reacher got higher ratings - but then that was hype !

May 11 - 01:43 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Jack Reacher was good.

Jun 26 - 06:36 PM

Ricky Gee

Ricky Gee

Parker was surprisingly good, and yeah, better than Jack Reacher. Reacher was typical PG-13 blandness pretending to be badassed adult fare. No such pretensions with the blood-soaked ass-kicker Parker. Even the acting was well above par for your typical action movie. It's unfairly underrated because Statham is in it.

Jul 21 - 12:16 PM

Ben Thompson

Ben Thompson

In Rex Reed's review, he compares Jason Statham and acting to Taco Bell and nutrition. I for one think that Statham is a great actor, especially in The Bank Job and Snatch. He has great potential to be a good main character in a movie. It's just that most of the movies he's a main character in isn't necessarily a good movie.

Mar 28 - 09:34 PM

Carlton M Raines

Carlton Raines

Here, here , get rid of Lopez and Statham, both can't act, and make crap films.

Mar 10 - 01:57 PM

pat

Pat S.

It is "hear, hear" not "here, here".

Apr 9 - 04:42 AM

Iveta Cherneva

Iveta Cherneva

Disappointed. I mean seriously, who goes to a movie to see Jennifer Lopez not get with the guy in the end?

Feb 17 - 12:45 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

The only half-decent Jason Statham movie I've seen so far was Safe... but of course, I haven't seen Transporters 2 and 3, Crank, High Voltage, or The Expendables 2, so I may not be qualified to comment.

Feb 4 - 04:25 PM

Dan Meyers

Dan Meyers

WHAT WAS THIS PRODUCER THINKING!!?? I am a major Statham fan, have seen all his movies many times and WILL NOT see Parker. Why not? Because I absolutely cannot stand Jennifer Lopez! She is a stuck-up, conceited 'rican slime-ball. Just to gaze upon her for one minute, to hear her trained, controlled "I'm still Jenny on the block, yo" lying voice would require a huge bag of money for the producers to pay me. She is so fake, so full of herself, and such a horrible, haughty person, I can barely write her name. J---e---n . . . oh forget it. Sorry Statham, you and the Parker producers made a fatal mistake with casting L--o---p . . . you know who I mean!

Feb 3 - 02:57 PM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

Shut Up! Nobody CARES

May 19 - 02:25 AM

Matt S.

Matt Smith

I just saw this today. Got pretty much what I expected- certainly no more. The "I think of every last detail better than anyone else and am still a bad ass" routine is at risk of becoming overdone for Statham but it still gave me some entertainment as a see it once and forget it flick.

Jan 28 - 02:44 PM

Tinseltine

Le Anne Lindsay

I've been told "The Bank Job" is his best movie by a couple of people. I've added it to my Netflix queue. However, I think this movie plays well. John J. McLaughlin's screenplay does a good job of creating a plausible heist/vengeance movie with the requisite amounts of violence, stunts and actions surrounding a "super hero" with an incredible ability to withstand pain and heal very quickly. And Statham's charisma is evident in the fact that we want to root for this killer thief with a moral code all his own.

Jan 27 - 03:23 PM

Rich Gehring Jr.

Rich Gehring Jr.

I understand your point but he doesn't bother me that much. You are exactly right in the fact that he does cookie cutter action movies, in that spirit however you know exactly what you are going to get every time. His movies do not try and be anything else and they deliver exactly what you expect them to deliver. Fast paced almost silly at times action films. ( I thought The Mechanic was a pleasant surprise) I don't feel like he's over exposed though, and I'm sure he will keep cranking out action films.

Jan 25 - 08:48 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

I like Statham but he's wasting his career on this crap. Lock Stock, Snatch, Italian Job & The Bank Job were all good/great movies and he proved that he has the acting chops/charisma to be a major star in Hollywood. I really don't get why he keeps churning out these Van Damme straight to video caliber turds.

"It's a waste of life!" - Mickey Goldmill

Jan 25 - 03:07 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

I like Statham but he's wasting his career on this crap. Lock Stock, Snatch, Italian Job & The Bank Job were all good/great movies and he proved that he has the acting chops/charisma to be a major star in Hollywood. I really don't get why he keeps churning out these Van Damme straight to video caliber turds.

Jan 25 - 03:07 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

I like Statham but he's wasting his career on this crap. Lock Stock, Snatch, Italian Job & The Bank Job were all good/great movies and he proved that he has the acting chops/charisma to be a major star in Hollywood. I really don't get why he keeps churning out these straight to video caliber Van Damme turds.

Jan 25 - 03:05 PM

Tanner Lawrence

Tanner Lawrence

All I'm saying is if he was a little pickier with the roles that he chooses, he could not ONLY be making the money and be seen as an all around total bad ass, he could also be more respected by the wider audience. He then would make two or three times the money and also be that much more bad ass. Sure it's easy and they are making money, that part is obvious, but that is why the movies are bad, because no one involved gives a shit about quality. It's really too bad that an appealing actor like him is wasted in these flicks..

Jan 24 - 03:54 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

They said in the "Making of Crank" featurette that he comes cheap, so he is usually the guy you get to play the role in movie nobody wants to play.

Jan 24 - 02:42 PM

Matt Lane

Matt Lane

parker, looks like blitz, looks like safe, looks like killer elite, looks like crank, looks like transporter.. wake me up when he's makes a good movie. Lock Stock, Snatch, and Bank Job are his only good flicks.

Jan 24 - 02:29 PM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

How about The Expendables 2?
Safe and the transporter are good action movies so...

May 19 - 02:27 AM

Andy Nix

Andy Nix

I think people are watching his "garbage" which is why he keeps getting put into more films. He makes cheesy action flicks. If you don't like them then leave it at that. There are many of us who do. He plays the bad ass who sleeps with hot women and kicks everyone's ass. He's good at these kinds of action flicks and maybe this is what he enjoys making. I sure as heck enjoy watching them.

Jan 24 - 01:53 PM

Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas

I think Jason Statham is a good supporting comic relief actor (See "The Italian Job") but I don't think he can carry a movie.

Jan 24 - 01:00 PM

yautja99

christopher belcore

Personally, I love these movies: safe, killer elite, crank, the transporter series, and soon Parker. Not every movie needs to be about dramatic plot and great acting. For every Les Miserables I'm glad we have movies like this. Some of us just like to see guys kicking ass and taking names.

Jan 24 - 09:15 AM

christo t.

christo t

there's good popcorn flicks (avengers, snatch) and crummy ones, mate.

Jan 24 - 06:48 PM

Plecter L

Lucy Plecter

I like Statham, he's gorgeous, and I like his movies, but they're getting a little old. I wish he would try something new.

Jan 23 - 11:14 AM

William Marcus

William Marcus

He's trun to watch and is good at action, which they are what they are. But why team him up with that no talent Jennifer no talent Lopez. Horribly bad she will make this unwatchable

Jan 22 - 11:21 PM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

Obviously, Tanner, people are watching his movies. Otherwise, we wouldn't be introduced to more of them year after year. I'm not a fan of his movies either but what does he care if these films aren't classics? He still makes more money than any of us, he bangs smokin' hot women, and he looks like a total badass in the process. Sounds like a nice racket to me.

Jan 22 - 09:36 AM

yautja99

christopher belcore

aqreed. He's basically doing 80s action movies which are just violence and cheese. Personally I thinkt that's a terrific combination.

Jan 24 - 09:16 AM

Chase The Lost

I'm glad you enjoy them. These types of films aren't interesting to me but horror films are. Everyone enjoys a certain style of mindless entertainment and I think it's marvelous that we have so much variety. I can't, with substantial inteligence, belittle an actor who has earned his right to be perceived as a badass in the public eye.

Jan 24 - 09:55 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Popular is not synonymous with Good. By your logic, we shouldn't question anything that makes cash and objectifies women. I'm not surprised you like 80s action, you certain sound like you come from that decade. A brainless little Uncle Sam capitalist.

Jan 28 - 12:41 PM

Chase The Lost

That isn't at all what either of us said. Once again, you fail miserably and you look like a complete jackass in the process.

Jan 31 - 11:22 AM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

No, he's right... movies are an art form, not an outlet for pointless mainline violence and horror. Have a friggin' PLOT, for God's sake.

Feb 4 - 04:27 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

He's a good actor, my problem with him is he decides to star in shit movies. He has talent, I just don't think he's using it correctly, he should star in more good movies.

Jan 21 - 06:26 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

i would watch this, but statham deserves a real chance at acting. im more sick of stallone, and willis

Jan 21 - 10:31 AM

Yodaman Solo

Yodaman Solo

Well, I'm a fan and I will watch his 'garbage' even though I don't feel he is or will ever be the next Stallone or Arnold. And if you are so sick of Statham then just don't watch his movies. You do have that choice you realize. ;-)

Jan 21 - 07:31 AM

Tanner Lawrence

Tanner Lawrence

I will say that Lock Stock and Snatch are classics, but not anywhere near as classic as say a Terminator, Rocky, Rambo, etc. Plus he wasn't the star of those anyway. Crank was decent, but wont live on

Jan 19 - 09:49 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile