En Passion (A Passion) (The Passion of Anna) Reviews

March 24, 2011
The Passion of Anna, which takes place on a remote island, is an extremely complex tale about four people trying to fill the voids left by disillusion and past tragedies.
½ December 13, 2009
Bergman is the master when it comes to dealing with the intricacies of love and relationships, this film is extraordinary in the way it slowly gives us an insight into these four lost souls as the struggle to make sense of life and try to find their way which isn't easy, the bleak landscape, the desolation, the sparse dialogue, Liv Ullemans face in close up all come together to produce an explosive emotional roller-coaster with an inevitable outcome, the violence of the characters emotions spill over into the environment in the form of an unexplained killer of dumb animals.

Where are the contemporary films to match such genius, where are the voices to guide us through the fog?
August 23, 2012
If you make it past a very dull first 50 mins you should enjoy it. If it remained at the same pace as the first fifty-minutes this would've been more toward the 2 star range. There will be one scene in this first half that'll leave you shaken up, the rest will leave you yawning. After this the film builds up as you see Anna's darker side. She was always a weird one but we never saw the sinister version of her. Bergman style is very unique even using clips from past films of his and interviewing the actors for character analysis mid movie.
November 26, 2011
I liked how Bergman mix passion and violence in the perfect way. The movie is a beautiful song of unhappiness.
March 11, 2009
Yet another masterpiece the the master himself, Ingmar Bergman. The Passion Of Anna is perhaps one of his most underrated and lesser known films, but it is still amazing. It was wonderful to see his biggest stars (Max Von Sydow, Liv Ullmann, and Bibi Andersson) together in one movie. All three of them are terrific actors. After watching this movie, I have officially decided that Liv Ullmann is by far one of the best actresses that ever lived. Performance after performance, she is incredibly perfect. Like most Bergman films, this is a very complex film and will certainly make you think and get you in the minds of the characters. Interesting film.
August 17, 2008
The synopsis printed on flixster is laughably wrong. The actual Bergman movie is as gripping as ever, but forsakes his usual narrative simplicity (as opposed to psychological or dramatic simplicity), and seems to me now to go in too many directions at once. Still, better too many ideas than too few.
August 26, 2015
Once I got over the confusion brought on by the strange narrative structure and breaking of the 4th wall, I found these traits to strengthen the experience. I feel that I need to watch it again to really get it.
August 22, 2015
He has tried to hide from the world around him.

Andreas resides on an island as a hermit of sorts. He is in a deep depression due to a divorce and ruined family. His neighbors are going through a similar process as he went through and he tries his best to be supportive so they don't also divorce. Meanwhile, he encounters a strange woman named Anna and they fall in love, but she has strange delusions she struggles with. Meanwhile, someone on the island is killing animals.

"We lived in harmony."

Ingmar Bergman, director of The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Fanny and Alexander, Cries & Whispers, The Rite, The Touch, and All These Women, delivers The Passion of Anna. The storyline for this picture is intricate and contains many unique components but wasn't as compelling as I would have hoped. The acting was solid and the cast includes Max von Sydow, Liv Ullman, Bibi Anderson, and Erland Josephson.

"You'd better put it out of its misery."

I came across this on Netflix and thought it would be an interesting old school thriller. I found it just okay. The plot is above average and well written but not overly intense. This isn't a must see but is worth a viewing if you're a fan of 60/70s thrillers.

"She takes refuge in lies and dissimulation."

Grade: C+
August 3, 2015
This is one of those films that linger in your mind for a long time whether it's a beautiful comforting one like when Eva sleeps cuddling with Andreas dog; or a horrific image of the slaughtered sheep. It shows both life's inner and outer terrors as well as the pleasures we experience briefly.
July 10, 2015
I haven't seen all of Bergman's genius films but this one is just perfect
½ October 2, 2014
An excellent experimental film Bergman made while his marriage to actress Liv Ullmann was disintegrating. As Greg Carson's 2004 bonus documentary short Disintegration of Passion makes aware, Bergman is at his most experimental here, having the actors actually ad-lib their dialogue at times, as he was in ennui and wasn't sure where to go with the picture while making it. The end shot of von Sydow's complete disintegration is wonderful. Highly recommended, though unusual phase of Bergman's career. Ullmann's insight, that the Swedish title, The Passion, is more accurate, is correct, since each of the four main characters are so confused and at a personal crossroads of sorts.
October 1, 2014
My least favorite of the three Bergman movies I've seen so far (this, Seventh Seal, and Shame). There's a lot that just didn't work for me; personally, I didn't like the interviews with the actors. Also, the structure of the movie was very odd, with big lengths of time condensed to the point where it was a bit confusing, such as when Andreas randomly admitted he'd begun a relationship with Anna, despite not having seen Anna for most of the movie. The way the movie ends comes a bit suddenly, too, with the spontaneous admission that Andreas and Anna hate each other. And the animal mutilation plot was very odd and random.

That being said, just like all the movies I've seen of his, this movie has so many strange and beautiful moments. Many of the monologues, like when Anna basically tells the camera the story of her family dying, are heartbreaking and feel so real. The colors are beautiful, and so many of the individual scenes are wonderfully executed, like the beginning of Andreas and Eva's affair. It didn't totally cohere for me, and the message eluded me a bit, but I was still able to luxuriate in the beauty of the visuals and get a sense for the dark nature of the characters. It's strange, but this is a movie I felt was beautiful without necessarily liking it that much.
August 5, 2014
Good, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Who killed the animals? Was it supposed to be Anna?
August 20, 2013
Bergman made slow films dealing with philosophical and spiritual issues, but they aren't that lively or satisfying. This one is devastating, Sydow is perfect at playing the spiritually shredded main character.
½ December 17, 2013
Max Von Sydow lives alone on a remote Swedish island. He keeps to himself, mostly, until he meets Anna when she asks to use his telephone. Later, he meets her friends Eva and Elis with whom she is living after a serious car accident in which her husband and son were killed. She was the driver. Yes, this is heavy, as only Bergman can be. Anna demands absolute truth and honesty from everyone around her. This is her passion - it is tough on everyone. Further, she may be deceiving herself about things. Von Sydow has much he doesn't want to talk about. When he and Anna fall into a relationship, this makes it hard. At the same time, a madman roams the island engaging in acts of animal cruelty. This latter side plot serves to heighten the tension and emotional stress of the film. As do the splashes of red (and red filters) that occasionally appear in the otherwise wintry environs, captured marvelously by Sven Nykvist.
December 8, 2013
Pretty much one of Ingmar's best.
May 29, 2013
-The letter and a ticking clock-

Bergman is a master of presenting the darker side of human nature. Each film I've seen (only a handful) has left a mark. The only thing that bothered me about THE PASSION OF ANNA was the cast interviews during the film! Artistic or not, there wasn't any need to explain the characters in the slightest, as everything is apparent. With that aside, Anna reminds me of someone close to me, minus the killing of animals and people, of course. Powerful stuff, as is all of Bergman's films that I have seen.
April 29, 2013
I found this movie immensely disturbing and haunting, particularly the scenes of their sitting across the table from one another, she listlessly reading, he looking down blandly at his dish, and the ugly crunching sound of the food being chewed; and the terrible pathos of the bronchial man accused o...read moref animal cruelty who subsequently took his life, deeply melancholy. But what devastated me was the stark images of animal cruelty, the slaughtering of the sheep, the barn burning with the animals bellowing, and particularly, the desperate yelping puppy hanging by the neck, swinging back and forth. If a movie is defined as poignant by its affect....
December 22, 2012
The third film directed by Ingmar Bergman, starring Liv Ullman and Max Von Sydow, shows a marriage of Sydow's that seems to be on the rocks. He looks to Ullman for consoling, who seems have a troubled background life, as it starts to return to her. Essentially, she is nuts. If it isn't a great work, it is still a good work, as Bergman films are always fun to watch, even if they are complex, confusing, and high bizarre. The cinematography is always dazzling and compelling. The acting by the two leading actors in this film, like in "Shame" and "Hour of the Wolf" are good.
August 4, 2012
It takes it really slow, and doesn't really go anywhere, however this dark and intense film explores the darker side of human nature. Bergman offers his interesting commentary on cruelty, and our natural attraction and repulsion from it.