The Passion of the Christ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Passion of the Christ Reviews

½ May 10, 2016
Perhaps sometimes distractingly over dramatic. I think The Last Temptation of Christ was a lot less in your face. However, this film is still under control and is memorable, frightening and emotionally stirring with clear dedication and passion through out
May 2, 2016
best film ever !!!!!
½ April 30, 2016
A tremendous depiction of the last hours of Christ. Jim Caviezel's Christ is probably the definitive Christ in cinema.
½ April 18, 2016
Mel gibson ruined the story with inaccuracies. Christ seeing demons as well as Judas was absurd. Then Christ threatens to destroy the temples if he dies which is crazy. The sound track drones on with Angel Awes...driving one crazy. Of all the bible movies I have seen this plays out like a grade B Italian film from the late 50's. Everyone looked like mafia. The movie has Christ getting beaten for an hour and everyone has tears...the acting was so bad....If I ever meet Mel Gibson I'm personally going to smack him for wasting my life of the BS movie. He can barely act and his talent as a director is so bad...the stink was coming out of my Television. The worst biblical movie of all time. It starts out with Christ Crying and so scared of dying he's dripping with sweat and seeing demons...BS.....Mel Gibson should be beaten and crucified for this crap. I will be glad to nail him in the side with the spear.
March 5, 2013
the best religious-themed movie I've ever seen
April 1, 2016
This was an accurate adaption. I thought that the subtitles were going to be distracting, but to my surprise they weren't. I actually enjoyed hearing the original languages. All of the additional dialogue reflected the original intent. Although this movie was difficult to watch, I don't think that any moments were wasted. The flashbacks provided more than just a reprieve from the suffering. They revealed a man, not a pious wimp...as so many other films have. I especially enjoyed the scene between Jesus and Mary when she wants Him to wash His hands. As a theatrical piece, it was wonderfully crafted and well paced. The special affects were used sparingly, thank goodness
April 22, 2011
It was brilliant in enabling the viewer to experience the agony of what Jesus went through. For that, I give it a 5 out of 5. However, it is extremely difficult to sit through and in terms of it being overall an oerall enjoyable movie, I give it maybe a 0 out of 5. Nonetheless, it does have the merit of various flashbacks to memorable moments - not entirely agony in the garden, trial, mockery and execution.

This movie turned out to be a blockbuster hit, largely due to support among the worldwide Christian community. Hindsight is always 20-20, but especially in light of that fact, it might have been better to add more in the way of post-resurrection scenes.
December 31, 2013
Although this film has been highly controversial and been called anti-smectic for its portrayal of the Jews, I think Mel Gibson did a brilliant job making this film and Jim Caviezel gave a fantastic performance as Jesus.
March 27, 2016
I feel that Mel did a fantastic job of helping us to understand and feel the pain Our Lord and Savior went through. I Love Yeshua..Thank you Yahweh. Praise Your Holy Name Forever.
½ March 20, 2016
Grade: A
Rating: 9.5/10
½ March 26, 2016
The graphic details of Jesus Christ's torture are necessary to show and for us as the audience and concerned party to gain any understanding of how much He suffered for our sake, and it should be remember that this incredible physical suffering was mirrored on the mental and spiritual sides at this same time.
January 13, 2007
I finally got around to watching this 12 years after the original release. Wow. It was very graphic but I think it helped me to understand more about the crucifixion of Jesus and what He went through.
March 26, 2016
What better way to prepare my heart and mind for the ´Kors vandring in Oslo on langfredag´ than to watch this masterpiece by Mel Gibson? There have been many films made on the life of Jesus Christ and I have seen the majority of them. Gibson's passion of the Christ is undoubtedly the most stupendous and superb, beautiful beyond words. I love Mel Gibson's masterful and highly accurate interpretation of the end of the road for Jesus Christ on earth. It was obvious that director Gibson gave it 100% and a million times more for this precious offering to all Christians who had watched it. So meticulous was Gibson, that actors spoke the language of that time. And so Jesus spoke Aramaic, the hated Pharisees and Sadducees spoke Hebrew and the Romans spoke Latin or Italian. Every screen shot was perfect. The Mediterranean semi desert climate and the breathtaking ancient sandstones of Jerusalem, the roman soldiers´ costumes, the ugliness of the hedonistic lifestyle of roman rulers. Absolute dream cast. Jim Caviezel as Jesus Christ and his mother the Virgin Mary were no doubt the key roles. But other supporting roles, like Judas, Satan, Pontius Pilat, Magdalen, Saducees, Pharisees, and roman soldiers were just as critical and must be perfect to make this film so supremely wonderfully didactic and inspiring to all who believe in the Messiah. There were many original takes by Gibson on the story of Jesus Christ. The spookiness of the female Satan and her deadly stare gliding from one point to another and carrying an ugly baby with accelerated raging sickness. The brilliant Judas' act of betrayal and the destructive remorse that followed, The gruesome whipping and butchering of Christ with tassel whips that had iron spikes at the end tearing away chunks of flesh not just from Jesus´ back but also from his chest. The via Delerosa and the helper helping Jesus to carry the wooden cross that weighed a ton. What must be the most poignant seen was the final contact between mother Mary and her beloved son. At Golgotha, the enactment of the crucifixion cannot be more brutal and heart breaking. The breaking of the knee caps of the two criminals on both sides of Christ and the piercing of the side of Jesus´belly that released a stream of water and blood wetting and staining the roman soldier that did it. The reaction of Satan in a God forsaken parched place when Jesus breathed his last. The earthquake that followed and the splitting of the Jewish synagogue. Looking at the critics' reactions. One can conclude that one can either love it or hate it. For the critics and those who hated it, I am curious of their reactions if they had read the relevant sections in the gospel. Are they not what Jesus had describe of some who will never be drawn to Him and his message? If I may quote from the gospel of John 12:40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart...". Mark 4: 11-12 And Jesus said to his twelve disciples. " To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside every thing is in parables, so that they may indeed see but do not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven". The most egregious wrongful accusation of this film and of Mel Gibson are they are anti-Semitic. Instantly this is entirely bull crap because Jesus and his mom, the Virgin Mary, all the disciples were all Jews. These Jews are so endeared by Gibson and all Christians!! Only specific groups of Jews, the Sadducees and the Pharisees were disliked.
March 25, 2016
There have been many films made on the life of Jesus Christ and I have seen the majority of them. Gibson's passion of Christ is the most stupendous and superb, beautiful beyond words. I love Mel Gibson's masterful and highly accurate interpretation of the end of the road for Jesus Christ on earth. It was obvious that director Gibson gave it 100% and a million times more for this precious offering to all Christians watched it. So meticulous was Gibson, that actors spoke the language of that time. And so Jesus spoke Aramaic, the hated Pharisees and Sadducees spoke Hebrew and the Romans spoke Latin or Italian. Every screen shot was perfect. The ancient sandstones of Jerusalem, the roman soldier costumes, the ugliness of the of the hedonistic lifestyle of roman rulers. Absolute dream cast. Jim Caviezel as Jesus Christ and her mother Mother were no doubt the key roles. But other supporting roles, like Judas, Satan, Pontius Pilat, Magdalein, Saducees, Pharisees, and roman soldiers had to be perfect to make this film so supremely wonderfully didactic and inspiring. There were many original takes by Gibson on the story of Jesus Christ. The spookiness of the female Satan gliding from one point to another and carrying an ugly baby with accelerated aging sickness. The brilliant Judas' act of betrayal and the destructive remorse that followed, The gruesome whipping of Christ not just on his back but also on his chest. The piercing of the side of his belly that released a stream of water and blood. The reaction of Satan in a God forsaken parched place when Jesus breathed his last. The earthquake that followed and the splitting of the Jewish synagogue. Looking at the critics' reactions. One can conclude that one can either love it or hate it. For the critics and those who hated it, I am curious of their reactions if they had read the relevant sections in the gospel. Are they not what Jesus had describe of some who will never be drawn to Him and his message? If I may quote from the gospel of John 12:40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart...". Mark 4: 11-12 And Jesus said to his twelve disciples. " To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside every thing is in parables, so that they may indeed see but do not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven". The most egregious wrongful accusation of this film and of Mel Gibson are they are anti-Semitic. Instantly this is entirely bull crap because Jesus and his mom, the Virgin Mary, all the disciples were all Jews. These Jews are so endeared by Gibson and all Christians!! Only the Sadducees and the Pharisees were disliked.
½ January 23, 2011
A powerful depiction of the final hours of the life of Jesus Christ. Gibson brings it to life like never before.
March 24, 2016
Mel Gibson brings Jesus' crucifixion to the big screen and boy was it tough to watch. As a Christian, I was moved to see someone fight for such a strong faith, but the excessive violence was a bit much. Then again, it is what happened back then. Since Gibson is a devout Catholic, it makes me wonder if there was any bias...possibly? But in any case this was a necessary film for anyone of faith or other to see
March 24, 2016
Jesus is The Only Way.
Romans 6:23
John 3:16+17
June 22, 2007
i dont think anyone could not-cry while watching this movie.
March 21, 2016
I felt sick to death on watching what Jim Caviezel went through as Jesus!
March 20, 2016
It is violent, but that does not obscure the message of Christ. The movie depicts what God was willing to endure to redeem His people. It should be watched by the world who skim over the words of scripture that
"Jesus died for our sins". The movie
graphically depicts what the bible graphically
describes about Jesus being "whipped,
"beaten", "bruised", "crushed", "stabbed",
and "spit upon". In doing so, the movie
shows what we know about Roman torture
methods of the time. G, but accurate.