A Patch of Blue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Patch of Blue Reviews

December 22, 2010
Great lines and characters/performances.
An amazing movie about tolerance and love.

April 4, 2010
Beautiful, and racially provactive, Blue is embarassingly raw and real.
December 15, 2009
Love is color blind.
January 31, 2014
Another in a series of race films starring Sidney Poitier. Here we have a literal example of being colour blind. Although Poitier often returns to the same theme in his films, his charm makes them equally memorable.
August 3, 2011
Elizabeth Hartman plays the blind and childlike Selena Darcy living with her white trash promiscuous mother Shelley Winters and alcoholic grandfather Wallace Ford. She's got one miserable existence, living in an apartment she rarely goes out of, cleaning house and stringing beads for necklaces to contribute to the family income. Her only joy is a trip to the park, where Selena sits by a tree and strings beads. One day she meets up with an articulate Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), an office worker who also likes the park. He is appalled that Selena is uneducated and has not even been taught the most rudimentary skills such as reading Braille (and has never enjoyed the simple pleasures of drinking pineapple juice, eating a roast beef sandwich and shopping in a supermarket before).

It is amazing that Selena experiences so many new and wonderful things that we all take for granted. I understand the conflict with her friendship with Gordon because in that time period it really was frowned upon. (This movie came out during an era of intense racial unease, and so was probably very daring for its time.) Shelley Winters, of course, steals the show as the racist mother who horribly abuses her young daughter. Her character is loathsome, but she's the only one not dripping in goodness, thus giving the film a realistic touch. The subtle score works well with the relationship development and the black and white cinematography is great.

Call me sentimental but watching this film brought tears to my eyes. I`ve always been a great admirer of Sidney Poiter having seen him in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner and To sir with Love and this movie is heartfelt and wonderful to watch. The world is a cold place, but Gordon offers his friendship and compassion as a small patch of blue in Selena's otherwise dark world (My interpretation). The ending might not have been one that I cared for but I think it adds to the greatness of the movie.
Critique Threatt
½ August 4, 2010
A very warm and heartfelt picture. Poitier and Hartman have real on-screen chemistry.

This picture has a lot of Machismo dialogue as when Hartman and Shelly Winters start a hammer blow of an argument then followed by Wallace Ford. It is probably the scene everyone remembers but for me it is the tender scenes between Poitier and Hartman that brings the movie to justice.
September 6, 2008
½ June 17, 2011
Love is Blind, Color Blindness, & Visual Blindness, are NOT Handicaps!
Sadly Beautiful, Turbulent, & Important "Must See" of a Poignant Film that tackles Social Injustice,Racism, Abuse,& Blindness & the Confines Involved,with such an impact that you will never forget it.This is a 2 Box Tearjerker from the start if you are a sensitive person, be warned.A Beautiful Blind Girl(a then unknown, Elizabeth Hartman)as Selina, blinded by her Mother,, is abused in every way by her morally questionable Mother(Shelly Winters).The Abuse is tolerated by her Drunken "Ole Pa"(Wallace Ford).Selina decides she needs to get some Fresh Air, & starts going to the Park, after her extensive Home Chores are done. There she befriends a man who changes her life & teaches her to be independent in her Challenge with her blindness, as she clearly has had no education whatsoever.The Interracial Issue, which she is oblivious to, becomes a large part of the story because of the times, but seems so silly today.Their Love is Color Blind. He gets her that badly needed Patch of Blue Sky in her Cloudy World of Repression(Education & Freedom from her Oppressors), but the Film leaves you hanging, I HATE that when that happens!!!
Shelly Winters deservedly wins an Academy Award for playing this Reprehensible Mother.I believe Sydney Poitier, & Esp. the Newcomer who gave a performance of any actors lifetime,Elizabeth Hartman, deserved one even more!
September 22, 2010
This sensitive film tells the bittersweet tale of the relationship between a young blind girl and a black man she meets in the park one day. The catch is, she doesn't realise he is black, and her slovenly mother is deeply racist.

By the mid-sixties, Sidney Poitier must have been wondering whether he would ever get a movie part in which the colour of his skin wasn't a major issue in the film (After 15 years in movies, THE BEDFORD INCIDENT, released in the same year as this flick, was to be his first in which his colour wasn't an issue). However, if he was getting tired of this it certainly doesn't show, as he gives a truly excellent performance as the object of blind girl Selina's affections. The manner in which their increasingly serious relationship develops is believably handled without ever veering towards overt melodrama or sentimentality, and serves to make the rather downbeat ending all the more poignant.

All the major parts in this movie are a joy to watch, from Elizabeth Hartman in her debut role as Selina, to veteran character actor Wallace Ford (for who this would be one of his final roles) as her drunken grandfather. Shelley Winters is also superb as Selina's mother, a role for which she received a well-deserved academy award.

Highly recommended.
March 31, 2007
This a a beautiful story and I absolutely love it!! The black & white cinematography is very riveting & appealing as well as the characters all perfectly cast. Sidney Poitier is a master in these kinds of dramas and does not disappoint! I watched it again today and for me it is a timeless movie of prejudice, compassion, justice, love and acceptance...one of my favorite movies and a must see! I was fortunate to recently purchase this on DVD because it has been discontinued! On "My Favorite Movies" list. DVD.
August 20, 2009
Sidney Poitier, as usual, gives a sincere, classy and subtle performance. Elizabeth Hartman handles her role well but the stand out performance comes from Shelley Winters who is incredible and deservedly won her Oscar. A fine, well meaning film, simple and poignant.
February 21, 2009
This movie would be worth watching to see Shelley Winters. She is awesome as the abusive mother to a blind girl who thinks she's found love... VERY GOOD!!
½ December 21, 2008
Not the most realistic portrayal of black and blind people in the 60s, but I'll take it. A heartfelt vehicle for Portier, I enjoyed his scenes of internal struggle, trying to figure out where the relationship is going.
February 1, 2007
The late Elizabeth Hartman's portrayal of the blind Selina will leave you with a lump in your throat. Ms Hartman was nominated for an Oscar for this movie. I sure wish she would have gotten it.

The late Elizabeth Hartman really deserved her academy award nomination as the blind Selina in this classic.
March 17, 2008
As with nearly all of Sidneys'movies loved this movie very much ,but the girls mother was cruel to her. Ending was sad to me.
February 10, 2008
Excellent movie about a 17 year old blind girl who never in her life has been to school or taught any of the things blind people are able to now do. One day her grandpa takes her to the park and she meets Gordon Ralph who helps her to fend for herself. Now this movie is in the early sixties time period so a african - american man and a white woman together in that era might have looked wrong to the people but Selina not knowing or caring about the color of his skin becuase she cannot see it loves just for the person he is. " Gordon I love you. I know your colored but your beautiful." Most people would say the oppisite." "But that is cause they don't know you".
November 25, 2007
This was a cool movie. I don't think I've ever thought about people who were poor and blind, so they lacked the opportunity to read brail, and other things, etc.
½ November 4, 2007
Sidney Poitier, Shelly Winters (her second Oscar), Elizabeth Hartman and Acadamy nominated music in a great story. I saw it when it was in the theaters - long ago. I'm going to put it on my list of movies to see again soon.
October 21, 2007
Rosanne is the mother of a blind girl and treats her with harsh cruelty.Winters' character makes us see the blueprint of racism in the World.There is no future for Selena,until she is rescued by the kindness of a man she hardly knows.

To John and Selena, Love is blind.
August 17, 2007
Love this movie, watch it every time I catch it on. There are no real differences in people other than what our eyes see. Great movie!