A Patch of Blue Reviews

April 26, 2015
A beautiful film with wonderful performances from Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters, and Elizabeth Hartman. Beautiful score, screenplay, and cinematography.
March 28, 2015
It's really rare that a movie makes you truly feel every emotional high and low within it. But "A Patch of Blue," spurred on by Elizabeth Hartman's masterfully moving performance, Sidney Poitier's eloquent dignity, and Jerry Goldsmith's touching, exhilarating score, does exactly that. It's the story of a horribly abused young blind woman who experiences joy--and love--for the first time thanks to the kindness of a stranger who she doesn't realize is black. Her foul-mouthed terror of a mother (Shelley Winters), however, does, which... to say it causes tension is a wrenching understatement. Our adrenaline pumps when Poitier jovially pushes a giddy Hartman through the supermarket on the front of a shopping cart; our hearts plummet when she scatters her beads on the ground in a park (stringing them is how she provides for her lazy, spiteful mother and alcoholic, apathetic grandfather). It's all touchingly filmed in black-and-white, a clever but subtle stylistic choice that doesn't allow us to "see" too much of the detail of this woman's world. If I have one complaint, it's that Winters' character never gets a single moment of validating humanity--she's evil through and through. That was good enough to win her the Oscar at the time, though, and her performance is, as far as one-dimensional characters go, exceptional. And the other performances--particuarly Hartman and, of course, Poitier--hold up remarkably well fifty years later. If you can't get past the idea of terrible things happening to innocent characters, you won't be able to stand this movie (it's that effective). But if you're looking for powerful entertainment that shows things most similar movies only awkwardly say, this one's definitely for you.
½ October 18, 2014
It's wonderful to have a friend...

Great, incredibly moving story. A story of neglect and caring, and how friendship spans divides of race and ability.

Incredibly suffocating at times, as you feel for Selina's (the blind girl's) plight, how incredibly abusive and neglectful her mother and grandfather are, and how they have left her disadvantaged. This pressure us palpably relieved every time she is with Gordon. The difference is so stark it is beautiful and moving.

There are also touches of commentary on racial issues but these are mostly left as a secondary plot. Thankfully so. While the commentary was justified and relevant, making more of it would have detracted from the main story.

Sidney Poitier gives his usual solid, polished performance in the lead role. The stand-out performance, however, is Elizabeth Hartman as Selina. So convincing I thought she was actually blind (she isn't). Well-deserved her Best Actress Oscar nomination and unlucky not to win the award.

Shelley Winters got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance as Rose-Ann, the evil mother. A good performance from her, playing parental neglect personified.

A must-see.
May 4, 2013
What a beautiful movie. Would like to see a modern day version of this.
May 5, 2010
Thought provoking and well acted. A treat to see
October 7, 2007
A wonderfully realized twist on the adage that love is blind. And given when it was made, something of a cinematic breakthrough.
May 1, 2014
a very well done, interesting flim. it has a lot of emotion and impact. such sensitive subject matter at the time makes me like the film all the more.
January 31, 2014
Another in a series of race films starring Sidney Poitier. Here we have a literal example of being colour blind. Although Poitier often returns to the same theme in his films, his charm makes them equally memorable.
½ January 20, 2014
Depressingly accurate in representing attitudes from that era, monotonous and difficult to watch, the only thing that kept me interested was my imagination , I fantasised that Selina D'arcy by some miracle took off her black glasses and could see again, and saw the divinely beautiful Poitier in his drain pipe trousers and beautiful features and kissed him in a manner that I would if I was to be pressed up against Poitier. So I give myself and Sydney a rating of 100% ,and as for the film, I can't be bothered!!!!
November 28, 2013
Love is truly color blind. That briefly describes A Patch of Blue. A loving romantic film that tells the story of a blind girl who lives a life that is similar to a Cinderella fairy tale. Then meets a black man who teaches her everything that she haven't learn before by her abusive mother and drunken grandfather. The reason why I saw this flick is because I wanted to see Elizabeth Hartman beautiful performance, since she was amazing as voicing as one of my all time favorite character Mrs. Brisby from The Secret of NIMH. She does a great job acting as a blind girl who wants to know more about the world. Sidney Poitier as Gordon does good acting too as a kind lighthearted character for helping Selina out with her blindness and her own life decision of being independent. The one actress I don't understand for getting the most praise from is Shelly Winter as Rose- Ann. She a good actress, but not as good as winning an Oscar from Best Supporting Actress. Elizabeth Hartman should have own an Oscar for her performance, nope because it was competing against Julie Andrews and I cant debate over those too actresses. The film is an excellent romantic story than Titanic. It tells what true love is. True love isn't when you spend a few weeks with them and then believing its the right person, true love is when you help and care for a poor person who is living a miserable life with not one caring for them. Making sure they live an excellent life by helping them along the way though. Thats the message in A Patch of Blue. A message that I was actually surprised of, since I have never heard of it before. Its that message thats A Patch of Blue one of the best romantic films of all time.
October 27, 2013
A really nice heartwarming movie that must have been controversial at the time. Sidney poitier does a great job being charming likable and charismatic. After seeing him in this and in the heat of the night where is is more of a serious hard assI'm convinced hes a very talented actor. Elisabeth hartman was good but i she should have been just a little better looking. Shelly winters is the perfect white trash bitch. This movies only weakness its being slightly over the top a few times but its forgivable.
½ July 5, 2007
The premise seems a bit weak today, but the film worked.
July 17, 2013
Breaking our pre-concieved notions (biases) in a film which fires on all cylinders. Watch for Winters to nearly steal the show.
October 2, 2012
amazing performances r the fuel to propell this one
½ April 10, 2011
i am addicted to love story and this one is moving and poignant..i love the end..one of my favourite movie.Selina is heartbreaking..:(
June 1, 2012
hella luv this movie!!! havent seen it in a long time.
May 24, 2012
Shelley Winters won the Oscar but the real acting is by Elizabeth Hartman as the abused and benighted blind girl. This is great!
May 11, 2012
Enjoyed everything this film had to offer & that's why it got 5 stars from me.
½ April 5, 2012
This film about a blind girl in a dysfunctional family, who is befriended by Sidney Poitier is a good character study as well as a nice picture.