The Patsy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Patsy Reviews

½ October 2, 2014
Not very funny or even good for that matter. Jerry Lewis movies are usually better than this. (First and only viewing - 10/3/2014)
December 12, 2014
I quite enjoyed this Jerry Lewis film, which has a lot of relevance today, in the era of reality shows and manufactured stars. Several good character actors, such as Peter Lorre in his final role, and comedians round out the cast, as the team that's going to make this nobody into a star, and Ina Balin's quite good as the team member who ends up falling in love with the patsy and refusing to give up on him like the others do. Recommended.
November 28, 2014
October 9, 2014
Entertaining Jerry Lewis vehicle has a stellar cast, which includes Everett Sloane, Keenan Wynn, Peter Lorre, Phil Harris, John Carradine, Hans Conried, Scatman Crothers, Jack Albertson, Hedda Hopper, George Raft, Mel Torme, Ed Wynn, and Marion Davies. Jerry is built up as a big star the management team of a big star who recently died and who all need a new mealticket. Wacky Jerry Lewis comedy ensures.
½ March 7, 2014
They simply want to make you a star.

When a star comedian dies, his comedy team and producers decide to band together and try to turn a bellhop into his replacements. The bellhop is a huge work in progress as he has no rhythm, he's a bit of a scatter brain, and he has no sense of timing. They try to work with him, hire him teachers, and give him opportunities and he's a repeat failure. Will all their work go for not or can the bellhop become a star?

"You really like the simple things, don't you?"
"Yeah, the difficult ones always give me trouble."

Jerry Lewis, director of The Nutty Professor, The Bellboy, The Ladies Man, The Family Jewels, One More Time, The Day the Clown Cried, and Cracking Up, delivers Patsy. The storyline for this picture is really not very good and fairly annoying. The characters are just okay and the script was mediocre. I also thought the acting was fairly mediocre and the cast includes Jerry Lewis, Peter Lorre, John Caradine, Everett Sloane, and Phil Harris.

"You sound like a man with thirty good questions and never any answers."

I DVR'd this picture because Peter Lorre starred in the movie and I generally enjoy his character. I have never been a fan of Jerry Lewis' brand of comedy as I generally find him annoying and not overly funny. This film was annoying but did contain an interesting love subplot. Overall, this was an average picture that I wouldn't go out of my way to see and is very outdated in terms of brand of comedy.

"A star is born."

Grade: C
½ April 26, 2011
I recommend this to all my enemies. Really disappointing movie. I know it's Jerry Lewis but I couldn't stand this.
½ November 10, 2005
Yet another inane and stupid Jerry Lewis comedy. (Is there any other kind of Jerry Lewis comedy?). Why the lovely and talented Ina Balin was involved in this film is a mystery. I suppose it is better than most of his films, but that is not saying much. A few laughs here and there, but mostly it is just dumb.