Paul

Paul Reviews

garyX
garyX

March 16, 2011
Two English comic book nerds on the road in the American mid west have a close encounter with a stranded alien and decide to help him evade capture by the sinister Men In Black who are pursuing him. The epic ongoing bromance between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost becomes an extra-terrestial menage-a-trois with the addition of Seth Rogen's chain smoking, smart mouthed E.T. in this amusing road movie from the Spaced school. Essentially a homage to John Carpenter's Starman with added dashes of Close Encounters and E.T., Paul has that easy going charm and feel good factor that most American nerd comedies completely miss; there's something much more likeable about a British geek for some reason (maybe it's just because I can relate...) Pegg and Frost play off each other as effortlessly as ever to the point where if I were Pegg's agent I'd make sure he was manacled to Frost on a permanent basis to prevent any more whorish forays into Hollywood schmaltz and dimwitted guest appearances. Paul contains all the same ingredients that made hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead work so well and although some of the humour is a little juvenile it's funny far more often than it's not. Containing the obligatory quotes and references every sci-fi trainspotter will enjoy, this is very much more of the same from the everyone's favourite partners in nerd, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
KJ P

March 14, 2011
With an all-star cast including: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, Sigourney Weaver, and many, many more, you cannot go wrong with this amazingly clever road trip/extra-terrestrial film! Paul is a comedy rip-off of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and pays tribute to all great sci-fi films as the movie progresses. Throwing in original comedy for a change, Paul is a fantastic laugh piece that I will remember for years to come. This may quite possibly be the best film of this short year, which is funny, because comedy it sort of stealing the show in 2011 at the moment. Paul is rip-roaring fun and everyone should see it!
Daniel P

September 12, 2009
Full review coming soon.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

September 24, 2012
Despite being constantly compared to their masterpieces 'Shaun of The Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz', both Pegg and Frost have a film with its own perks, making 'Paul' very funny and watchable. With so many references to films, its worth a watch just for the sake of trying to spot them. With a nice cast, featuring Jason Bateman, Blythe Danner, Jane Lynch and even Sci-Fi legend, Sigourney Weaver. This cast is then topped with the superb voice acting from 'Pineapple Express's Seth Rogen. For Pegg and Frost fans, this won't top their other work, but does follow similar rules, mainly constant references to their genre. This is worth a try for all Science-Fiction fans.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 5, 2012
Wonderful, witty and entertaining comedy, Paul is the latest comedy from comedy duo Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. You can rest assured that you will get your money's worth. The film is very funny with great characters, good gags and the cast do a fine job. This is one of the best comedies in recent memory, and I really enjoyed the plot and I am a big fan of Pegg and Frost and they as usual deliver something special on-screen. The chemistry between the two is great and there's enough laughs here to satisfy any viewer looking for a fun, charming, comedy that is memorable. If you enjoy every other Simon Pegg film, you'll sure to enjoy this. Director Greg Mottola directs with flair and the special effects are great and Seth Rogen definitely does a fine job as the title character. There's enough effective comedy here to have a good time, and the script is peppered is with all the usual geek clichés that add to the experience. Greg Mottola does a fine job with Paul and he has made another fine comedy that is worth watching again and again. This is a terrific film that is sure to please fans of Science Fiction as much as the common comedy fan. Paul has great characters, effective dialogue and very funny scenes. I loved this film, and if you're looking for a great comedy, then give this one a shot, you'll sure to enjoy it. This is entertaining from start to finish and this is one of favorite recent comedies. Paul overcomes it's weaknesses by its cast and effective directing that works well enough to create big laughs.
Spencer S

October 18, 2010
A sensational UFO comedy that may be simplistic in purpose but massively entertaining. Paul is a whirlwind romance between Pegg and Frost and Spielberg, invasive and sweet. Though many people have criticized it for its immature humor and lack of Edgar Wright's writing and panache, I genuinely loved this film. It was loving with its references, the humor, I thought was decent, and it featured a phenomenal cast of character actors, improv members, and SNL veterans including Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader. The product of bringing all these people together was beautiful, the wit and candor of each individual character brought out extensively without taking up screen time from anyone else. They all also worked really well together, and the direction was spot on. I especially loved how believable Pegg and Frost were with the imaginary Paul, though they of course had to act while he wasn't there. The principal photography, cinematography, and action scenes of explosions, car chases and intergalactic turmoil, were really well done for a comedy movie. The plot moved along at a quick pace, but didn't leave anything out, and though the dialogue was crude, it was realistic and showed the queer friendship between the two self proclaimed "nerdy" protagonists. It was a slight put off to have this all knowing alien being be voiced and given life by Seth Rogen, not because Rogen isn't funny and perfectly cast, but because the character himself is oddly placed. He is an intergalactic being and yet he curses and makes bodily funtions work in a way that would shame a frat boy? Even with the fact that it's a comedy, that comes as a strange issue. It's nit picking at best, but it does pull you out of the film at times. Still, it was thrilling and quite hilarious at different junctions. I found this to be enlivening entertainment, though I know many others do not share that opinion.
Sam B

May 15, 2012
"Paul" is a lightweight comedy with a pretty basic premise and similarly basic jokes. Its cliched, even for a comedy, a fact that is made more obvious because the outlandish concept could have taken things in all sorts of more creative directions. As for good things, this movie is full of well-known funny people who do their jobs at being funny. Kristen Wiig completely steals the show, which is both a compliment to her and an insult to Simon Pegg, who is usually the comedic highlight in everything he's in, but is pretty dull here (with an equally boring Nick Frost). Seth Rogen was a shoe-in for the titular role, but he kind of just ... well, acts like Seth Rogen. What we have here are a bunch of talented comic actors, a sprinkle of smart pop culture references, and a big helping of nothing special. A shame, because Greg Mottola had previously cemented himself as an outstanding writer and director, first with "Superbad" and then with "Adventureland", which is one of my all-time favorite movies and is highly recommended over something as middling as "Paul".
maxthesax
maxthesax

May 3, 2012
Paul has a terrific idea, and while the opportunities for greatness are evident, the writing team that gave us Shaun of The Dead unfortunately missed the mark here; although there are still several laugh out loud moments and enough pop references to just about every sci fi film and TV show ever written.

The film starts with a very nice intro, showing us the 1947 event that sparked all of the UFO lore. From there we fast forward to a couple of nerdy Brits, on vacation and taking in a huge comic book convention in San Diego. The pair, both sci fi aficionados, decide to do the UFO pilgrimage - hitting Area 51, the black mail box and then Roswell - with a hilarious side trip to the barren wasteland where the famous Star Trek episode The Arena was filmed.

While at the AlienInn at area 51 they are accosted by a couple of red-necks, and while making their escape, they back their RV into the rednecks truck (this is funny because when they later meet up with the rednecks, they do it again!). As they are high-tailing it down the road a set of headlights comes up on them fast. The Brits fear it is the rednecks, but relax when they are passed by a Crown Vic (preferred car of the secret service). The Vic then spins out of control and crashes into the sagebrush. When the pair investigate the crash scene they meet up with a brilliant bit of CGI - the prototypical alien - a smart mouthed, wise cracking dude who has evidently escaped after 40 years in Roswell. The pair agree to help Paul get to a rendezvous point so he can be picked up by the mother ship, and therein starts a rather bizarre and often quite funny road trip.

As they head north, the secret service is hot on their tale, egged on by the voice of a female commander who keeps threatening to "send in the big gun". The big gun is a wonderful surprise at the film's conclusion, but it is with the ss agents, especially the two rookies, that the film makes its real blunder - making the young agents total buffoons. This doesn't add anything remotely funny to the film, which would have been better served with all the footage of them being doofuses lying on the cutting room floor.

Along the way there are some pretty snarky rips at fundamentalist religion... if you're a fan of Bill Maher then you'll howl with laughter - if you're a "believer", not so much - though I suppose you might think that the tee shirt with Jesus shooting Darwin is awesome... for all the wrong reasons.

In the end, this is a nice, funny bit of pop culture - but I doubt it will reach cult status as the aforementioned Shaun, or Donny Darko. It's glib and has a certain tone, but the extended chase scenes, especially with the fundamentalist dad determined to keep following the Brits because they "brainwashed" his daughter, are pretty transparent... just a way to set up a joke concerning the Lord and the laying on of hands. As Paul states when dad says "god be with you"... "Yeah, whatever".
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 18, 2010
Well you go in thnking that this is just going to be a simple nerdy sci-fi flick and thats what you get, however it is surprisingly funny and enjoyable!
A great cast and an enjoyable movie to keep you entertained!
Its Not one of my favourtie Pegg and Frosts movie, however bring in seth rogen and 'anal probe' then its still entertaining and keeps you very much amused!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

March 16, 2011
im shocked by how disappointing this film was for me. i love pegg and frost's team ups, and i have a major geek side, so i was very excited to see this. so much about it failed that watching the film was a bit of a frustrating experience.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

September 23, 2008
Greg Mottola's Paul probably won't win any awards for originality, but it's quite a bit of fun. With a cast featuring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Sigourney Weaver and Bill Hader, how could you possibly go wrong? It may seem a little cliche'd, and definitely pays plenty of homages to a lot of different science fiction films, but it actually turns out to have a good heart. The first half of the movie is a bit on the slow side, but once it gets going, it never lets up. This is a great late night movie with plenty of laughs.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 28, 2011
Seth Rogen brilliantly brings life to the CGI alien character with plenty of enthusiasm. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost also play their roles very well, bringing light heartedness to the dark, aggresive alien character making this an exciting hysterical film. However, it is not Simon and Nick's best work as I fell their was a slight "americanisation! to its plotline despite the mentioning of "tea" in britian.
Scott G

October 27, 2011
The realness of the alien! ah what am i getting at, only CGI after all, the comedic two are back, tagging along the perfect voice of Mr. Rogen, it's my favourite Sci-fi because really, I want to be like them, visiting America is merely a dream, put that dream and you've got yourself a winner.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A light hearted comedy that will make you laugh along with it's weirdness. It wasn't as comedic as I thought it would be but I still enjoyed it. Now and again it's nice to see a film based on fantasy as it makes you more imaginative. You can't help getting a little teary at the end either and as I haven't seen E.T and heard about people crying over aliens, I didn't understand. But, now watching this I understand why. Great actors and a good film.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

October 31, 2010
I find it funny yet enjoyable to be watched.. For me, 'Paul' come as the underdogs comedy of the year, the one who expected to be nothing special but instead it was turn out to be a good one.. Don't forget to also take a look at their amazing cast : Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Jason Bateman, Kirsten Wiig, even Seth Rogen lend his voice for Paul and Sigourney Weaver starred as a cameo in here.. Overall, it's an enjoyable movie to be watched..
Cynthia S

October 4, 2010
Great movie for Sci-fi fans. There's plenty here to chuckle at...
Anthony L

October 14, 2011
The best thing about Paul and indeed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, is watching two best buddies having fun together. Pegg and Frost make a lovable pair and make this instantly watchable. I'm a bit of a geek too, so I loved the various nods to sci-fi films, comics etc. It's not as good as I think it could be but pretty decent for what it is, it probably would have been better with Edgar Wright behind the camera but just remember, this is not the third instalment of the 'Blood & ice-cream' trilogy, that is yet to come.
Tim S

October 8, 2011
I was kind of disappointed with this film. I expect a lot from Frost and Pegg coming off the greatness that is Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz. It left me wondering what this film would have looked like with the touch of Edgar Wright. Everyone does a good job especially Bateman and Wiig who have the best parts in the film. Other than that, it just seems like a bunch of really funny people trying to convince themselves they are in a really funny movie.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

October 6, 2011
This was too too funny! Paul is the alien I feel like a lot of the time! Hahahahah.
James A

October 2, 2011
Remember those two guys who were in the amazing Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz? Well if you wanted to see them in a less than mediocre alien romp you are in for a treat.