• PG, 1 hr. 31 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

Paul Blart: Mall Cop Reviews

Anthony L

March 7, 2014
So the joke is that Paul Blart is fat and inept, is that it? Or is it the part about wanting to excel in your line of work but not quite having the ability to do so that is funny? He did fall over a couple of times, that's classic comedy isn't it? There was that part where he got really drunk and acted exactly how drunk people don't act as well, that was hilarious yeah? He also doesn't wear cool clothes and has trouble talking to women. It's hard to tell whether the film makers wanted us to believe he suffered from a lack of social skills because half the time he obviously does and half the time he blatantly doesn't. I think that's probably in-depth character development though rather than poor script writing. I do wonder why they got an actual fat person to play Paul Blart though instead of casting a skinny guy in a fat suit, that would have been much funnier. He also didn't dress up as a women at any time during the film which I think was a missed opportunity. Fingers crossed they'll rectify all in the sequels. I've just realised that Blart sounds a bit like fart, now that's funny!
Phil H

January 23, 2009
I liked this, sure its very childish, predictable, cheesy and we've seen it all before but its still humorous and doesn't take itself seriously (of course) so hey...what the hell.

James makes it funny, simple, I like Kev James ('King of Queens') a lot, like John Candy, John Belushi and Chris Farley his size gives his light relief side a mega boost. He's a nice guy and is easy going, makes you feel happy and comfortable with his average guy persona.

The plot is utter trash lol! very stupid, a total 'Die Hard' parody in the second half (almost a spoof) which at times becomes a bit too close to serious and not funny. The whole hostage idea kinda spoils the comedy side of things, should of remained just 'Dumb n Dumber' to the end.

The whole concept at the start is funny, a mall cop who thinks he's a real cop in a mall, the scene where Blart stops an OAP in a buggy is brilliant, best scene, other things are very babyish eg. prat falls and drunk tomfoolery etc..Does lower the tone when it could of been a great 'Dodgeball' style adult comedy.

A slight shame cos it could of been a real classic spoof/parody comedy, but its still a good little film, good fun.
Alexander D

August 4, 2011
OK
Gregory D

January 31, 2009
I was not at all interested in this film and saw it only by chance; however It was not as bad as I was anticipating though. It's obviously that silly slapstick style of comedy, but I found myself intrigued enough to want to see how the ending pans out.
blkbomb
blkbomb

April 24, 2011
Paul Blart: You touch them; I swear I'll end you.

"Safety Never Takes a Holiday"

I'm not going to argue that Paul Blart is a good movie because it isn't. It's a stupid family movie. With that said, I enjoy it. There is something extremely likable about Paul; no matter how stupid a character he is. I like watching Kevin James even when his movies are horrible and I guess that means all of his movies. It appears like he's having a lot of fun in the lead role and I can say I have fun watching him scooter his way around the mall.

I look at the movie as a spoof of Die Hard. In reality, this no more stupid then Die Hard was. Die Hard just had a way better villain in Alan Rickman, cool effects and of course Bruce Willis. But if you just look at the core story, it's pretty much the same thing; except in a mall instead of in a skyscraper. I'm not at all saying this is better then Die Hard; just a decent spoof of it.

I know I'm in the minority in liking this movie at all. I went in expecting a stupid hit and miss comedy and that's what I got. It was enjoyable enough.
Drake T

July 21, 2011
For the most part, this was just exhaustingly tasteless humor of slapstick fair. Combined with an unimaginative, formulaic story and we end up with something quite forgettable if not mildly entertaining for the simple minded.
Tyler K

July 14, 2011
Funny in a stupid way. This is one of those films that critics hate, general people love. There are exceptions, such as Dumb and Dumber, but this movie, sadly, is not one of them. Let's just say, if you like physical slap-stick comedies, this is a must-see movie. The acting is actually very decent, the moments can be... very funny. I had to cover my eyes while I cried of the hilariousness of the scene while in the theater, and when I got it on DVD, I even had to pause it a few times so I can understand what was going to happen next (because I was laughing so hard). I see, just like the audience percentage, 50% of likes and not-so-funnieists, so don't hate my review, I just happened to be in the green half of the 50%.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Really enjoyed this film. Was really funny and stupid. It was silly in a good way. A must see!
michael e.
michael e.

May 31, 2011
funny, entertaining, and fun for the whole family
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 13, 2011
What people seem to not realize is that its a spoof of Die Hard, and it works well, but maybe the beginning could have been more funny to reel people in more. The movie misses a lot of oppurtunities but still works for me.
thmtsang
thmtsang

January 18, 2009
Loveable but unlucky in love and life. Paul is a mall cop, but wants to join the police force. He is overweight and is belittled by everyone. He fancies a girl called Amy who works in the mall. The mall is seized by a group of robbers who hold staff hostage including Amy. Paul bravely and hilariously captures each of the robbers to save the day. Kevin James is very funny.
3niR
3niR

December 15, 2010
This was stupid and boring. But it have some funny moments. Though not worth watching. It was way too crappy to tolerate.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
really stupid, only a few funny parts. C-
Alexis N

July 19, 2010
Ugh. It was a whole lot of fat guy falling down "laughs". But i didn't even laugh once. i wanted to think it was good, but it was mostly just boring.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 15, 2010
This is the film that Observe & Report got so well. Paul Blart is a failed comedy and it's dimwitted storyline is pathetic and stupid. For mall cop comedies, check out Observe & Report. Kevin James is a terrible actor and comedian, and Paul Blart only provides more proof to that effect. This is a comedy that fails to deliver on the laughs right from the get go. I laugthed twice during it's lentgh and felt cheated when the film was over. A terrible film with barely any laughs. Kevin James is a comedian to avoid, he needs to get on a treadmill instead of in front of a camera. What a waste of Celluloid this film was.
Coxxie M

June 22, 2009
I once ran into a homeless man with a bushy beard and a shirt that said "Happy?". How clever, thought. i tried to avoid him, but as i tried to walk away, he grapped at my $400 suit jacket and explained, "Sir, pleeee, plee helb me. ize so hawngry." he then continued to spew an intoxicating amount of imformation and vomit that began to annoy me. He said "Missa, i laws ma job. i laws ma wife. ize knows wut yous thinkin. he pathetic, aint he. oh, i know, missa. i know."

"PA- THETIC!"
he shuts his mustard-stained face and listens.
"Have you seen Paul Blart: Mall Cop?.... Have you?"
"n-n-no missa, i- i havent."
"Sir. I dont believe you KNOW what pathetic is. now i should be on my way. but i will give you a piece of wisdom far more helpful than a cheeseburger. Paul Blart is the devil. The next time someone gives you a dollar, give them something in return. What you do is shit your pants, which i see comes easily to you, start rubbing your shit into your beard, and scream the name PAUL BLART."

and he shut the hell up, and i went home with the exact amount of money that i left work with.
Lafe F

May 1, 2010
Kevin James is cute and funny in this simple and formulaic comedy romance. This movie was a success at the theatre for an extended run, how many are still watching it today?
Lanning :

March 29, 2010
Believe me, no one is more surprised than I am with what I'm about to say. I was forced to watch this against my will but . . . I actually liked it. I liked James, I loved his daughter and his mother, and I think the love story angle is quite believable. This won't make my Top 100 list, but I recommend it for one watch. On a more serious side note, Kevin James really needs to try to take better care of himself. I'm worried that he may end up like John Candy or Chris Farley. Please, Kevin, I want you to be around for a long, long time.
deano
deano

January 18, 2009
Kevin James' performance as the title character is more than just a comic goofball. James turns him into a likable and surprisingly sympathetic hero that we find ourselves cheering for by the end. He should be the new John Candy of late 2000s.
I never laughed out loud while watching this movie, but I did smile a lot, and I found myself caring more about the main character than I imagined. But there's plenty of sweetness during the early moments, establishing Paul's shy relationship with Amy (played by Jayma Mays), and the caring one he shares with his daughter.