• PG-13, 2 hr. 3 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

Pay It Forward Reviews

Giovanni M.
September 14, 2014
Worth watching for Kevin Spacey's performance only, otherwise this is sugary, sweet inspirational melodrama with a dumb ending.
September 13, 2014
A fine, honest tale that gives full respect to the pain of yearning and the power of hope!
August 26, 2014
I think Spacey and Osment played great parts that teach life lessons about helping people no matter who they are. Hunt's character I had a little hard time buying but it was still good. Caviezel once again showed moviegoers that he has the acting chops to take on any roll.
April 21, 2014
Questioning the film's decisional outcome at the end where it reminds us that the sadness remains along with a little bit of unfinished business; and also questioning a bit on Hunt's praised performance but she'd performed just fine. Spacey's usually seen portraying a tough or little strange guy in his films, but what makes his role in this one more favorable is his nicest character that was greatly performed. Now the child actor Osment performed his usual fine level that'd made him known.

The movie's really good with really good performances and a good idea that may inspire some to "Pay It Forward," but unfortunately it was mostly affected by how it was ended. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
February 25, 2010
(First and only viewing - January 2010)
platoguitar
August 4, 2014
"Pay It Forward" connected with something in all our hearts and changed the world with a slogan. I hear the title of this movie several times a day as we all try to do what we can to make the world a better place without asking for anything in return. Despite being critically underrated, this will always be one of my favorite movies.
June 28, 2014
Solid performances from the lead cast still fail to carry a dull and preachy story with a shoddy ending.
June 17, 2014
This is somewhat like a nice quote that from Oscar Wilde --" The only thing to do with good advice is to willingly pass it on" :-)
Movie Rater
June 9, 2014
Well, this was... a movie. Oh god am i annoyed. A lot, you have no idea. The ending... THE FUCKING ENDING, ok ok, I am getting ahead of myself. Lets talk about Pay It Forward.

This movie stars Kevin Spacey, who is pretty good in this movie, Helen Hunt, and Haley Joel Osment, a so-so actor. Spacey plays a social studies teacher who tells his class he wants them to do something nice for someone else, then other people will do tne same, setting off a chain reaction of paying it forward. Osment plays a student of Spacey and wants to make this idea work, start a recation, and continue from there. Helen Hunt plays the mother of this kid, who has an alcohol problem. There is also a reporter who is talking to the people who payed it forward.

This movie is just eh. I like Kevin Spacey in his role, and Hunt is ok. But then there is Osment. Oh boy, he is omg bad. He can barely act in this movie, even in his de.. thats for later. But anyway, this movie is hard to take seriously when you have a scene with Hunt in a strip club pole dancing, Hunt and Spacey getting it on in an 11 year olds house, yeah an 11 year old, great idea, and Bon Jovi playing an abusive father. Yeah thats right Jon Bon Jovi is in this movie too. Yeah... great casting choice.

Then, what people do to pay it forward in this movie. Shooting a gun in a hospital and letting a person getting away while robbing something. What the fuck. Those are both ridiculous things. Why does it exist, just WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?

Ok, the ending. Oh my fucking god, the ending. I will give you the basics. Osment's character gets in an interview with Mr. Generic repor... I mean mr. Reporter, and talks about how he is happy yay blah blah blah. Then Hunt and Spacey kiss and stuff. The movie should've ended there. But the problem is there are still 15 minutes left. Then Osment sees some bullies beating some nerd lid up he tries to stop them and gets killed. Here is everything wrong with that scene

1. Osment's acting here is horrible, when he gets stabbed he looks like he is smiling, and he falls to the ground like ahhhhhh. Stupid.

2. A fucking useless attempt to pull at the heartstrings of people everywhere. Stupid manipulative bullshit.

3. Ending rips off Field of Dreams

4. THIS IS A WASTE, I mean yikes, great way to end a movie. What was the point of killing him off anyway. To follow the book, not an excuse. So, no point at all. Grrrrrr.

Final score for Pay It Forward: 5/10 Stars. It had some good moments and Spacey was great as always, but I am getting sick of all of these " Young kid shows mean adults what they are doing wrong and how stupid they are and young kid is always right" movies. This movie had a horrible ending, bad Osment performace, silly moments, and a bland Hunt performance. This movie could've been higher if not for the ending. My advice is to stop the movie after the kissing part at the lockers and pretend thats the end. Saves you the trouble of that bullshit ending.
July 20, 2008
Very good movie. Makes me cry every time. Doesn't follow the book well.
January 28, 2007
This is a movie that has heart and it makes you think a bit
June 7, 2014
The ending does not reflect the rest of the movie. The rest of the movie is really good, with Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt headlining a fabulous job by the actors. But it focuses to heavily on Jon Bon Jovi's character and just isn't the greatest movie out there.
May 29, 2014
This is one of the best movies I have seen, and with no "great" actors, though, there SHOULD be at least THREE - Above - that are. Well Done!!! as Picard would say :-)
May 21, 2014
Even through all the sap and the cheese, I still felt uplifted and inspired by this delightful two-hour tug on the heartstrings. The performances are great on all counts, the writing is purposeful and a little bit preachy but great all the same, the directing is passionless at places but still serves its purpose, and the cinematography while procedural was still very well put together. A great movie that I could watch again and again!
Spalmer1982
April 29, 2014
I enjoyed this. A nice afternoon on the sofa.
April 18, 2014
This movie is twisted as humanity itself. If this movie is that hard for you to comprehend. Then, you definitely are one of those people that are "I think are too scared, or something. I guess it's hard for people who are so used to things the way they are - even if they're bad - to change. 'Cause they kind of give up. And when they do, everybody kind of loses."
Taffy
April 13, 2014
Wasted 2 hr. 3 min. to witness broken people muddle through live. I can do that looking out my window. I knew the ending because I see dead people. Yawner!
April 11, 2014
It makes an honest attempt at being sentimental, but only proves to be a product of a 'pathos' film formula. Although the plot is okay (minus the copout ending) the film's concept if far too preachy to be compensated by any of the films strong points.
codnob12
August 20, 2013
A movie that flow under the radar with my people and when I first saw this movie, I felt that life could or can be much simpler if everyone did pay it forward and not just turn a blind eye on those who can benefit from a small helping hand in life!!!
Vincent T

November 10, 2007
I liked the message they were trying to show. But the stupid decisions of some of the character are so annoying it makes it that much harder to watch. My advice is to read the book.