Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding Reviews

December 9, 2012
I liked this movie. It wasn't anything too deep, or earth shattering...just a nice, enjoyable, sweet movie. Jane Fonda looked wonderful, and she really added a special, delightful touch to this..
LWOODS04
½ January 12, 2011
Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding was a quirky eccentric film. Jane Fonda as Grace was the perfect role for her. She played it with such ease that it was obvious that part of herself was reflected in the character. The essence of Jane Fonda's past definitely comes into play with this character. Catherine Keener does a great job at playing the proper defensive attorney daughter of the free loving hippy Grace. When Mark tells Diane he wants a divorce she packs up the two kids to visit her mother who she hasn't seen in 20 years. The kids and grandmother have never met and are quite taken with each other. Zoe is upset about the divorce and confused by her mothers behavior. She is judgmental and can't see past her on views. She is like her mother in that aspect. Jake is more nonchalant about the divorce and really doesn't seem affected by it until you see the screening of his short film. Which by the way, was really good. It was probably my favorite part of the film. The film is basically about letting go and acceptance. I really enjoyed the film and I look forward to seeing it again.
Bathsheba Monk
½ March 4, 2013
Nice bland movie...good to see on a snowy wintry night. Jane Fonda, the grandmother, looked younger than Catherine Keener, her daughter, but that's Hollywood suspension of disbelief I guess. One thought kept going through my head: if daughter hadn't seen mother in 20 years (20 years!) I think there should have been a lot more splainin and conflict there. And another nit-pick: do such old hippies really exist? I know it was Woodstock, but....really?
½ February 15, 2013
Much better than I expected. Nice little movie with a good cast. Nothing groundbreaking, but kept me interested.
jjnxn
December 20, 2012
Jane is a lot of fun but this is a meandering unfocused mess.
Harlequin68
½ December 26, 2013
"Peace, Love & Misunderstanding" starts with Mark(Kyle MacLachlan) asking Diane(Catherine Keener), a lawyer, for a divorce. In reponse, she takes their children, Zoe(Elizabeth Olsen) and Jake(Nat Wolff) to the home of her mother Grace(Jane Fonda) in Woodstock which would be considered only natural if they had spoken any time in the past twenty years. Still, Grace welcomes everybody with welcome arms before preparing for the latest in a long line of antiwar protests.

And that's pretty much it for the underwhelming "Peace, Love & Misunderstanding," as differences in opinion, most importantly what to have for lunch, are attempted to be settled. Also, each character almost instantenously gets a love interest upon arrival but at least in this case they are mostly male, along with the nude model. Otherwise, the cliches pile up at a fast and furious pace, proving that the only thing I hate worse than stereotypes are false ones, as most of upstate New York is with the exception of some pockets of resistance in reality quite conservative, with Woodstock Nation being figurative rather than literal. All of which even some of the most talented actresses of three generations can do little with.
February 6, 2013
The characters in this movie were very dysfunctional and wonderful. There were plenty of laughs and tears in this one with a great ending to round out the entertainment.
October 13, 2012
no misunderstanding here keener and fonda are great together! i wonder if jane finds it ironic that she started off her movie career playing daughters now she is playing grandmoms.
September 5, 2012
A good cast is wasted in this yarn of liberal propaganda. I don't dislike fims about politics or religion as long as they don't beat a lifestyle over one's head ... and Peace, Love and Misunderstanding does exactly that with a hippie Woodstoke ode to liberalism. That this comes from someone who stands left of center says something. PL&M is about peace and love but what is offensive is that the "misunderstanding" is simply one-sided as the conservative daughter (Catherine Keener - Being John Malkovich, Where the Wild Things Are, Into the Wild) who has just been asked for divorce by her husband (Kyle MacLachlan - "Twin Peaks", Showgirls, Blue Velvet) flees the city to Woodstock where her mother (Jane Fonda - Klute, Monster-in-Law, On Golden Pond) still loves the free-lovin' lifestyle. The message of the movie is that Keener misunderstands ALL of her mother's wisdom ... but the implication isn't that the wisdom comes from being the elder but because of how she has decided to live. Blah, blah, blah. Keener meets another man while in Woodstock (Jeffrey Dean Morgan - The Watchmen, "Gray's Anatomy", PS I Love You) which seems to please her son but offends her college-age daughter (Elizabeth Olsen - Martha Marcy May Marlene, Silent House, Therese Raquin) who also misunderstands EVERYthing about a liberal lifestyle. The film paints liberals as all-knowing and conservatives as up-tight prudes who change their minds/beliefs because of a few plot points. It is all hokey and I was not impressed. It was very granola.
½ August 21, 2012
There seems to be a recurring theme of immediately predictable conclusions in this month's set of 30 Second Reviews, but no film fares worse as result of this than Academy Award nominated director Bruce Beresford's inexcusably dull, pseudo Hallmark movie-of-the-week. Playing off every one note stoner/hippie stereotype in the book, Joseph Musznski and Christina Menger's literally groan inducing script utilizes every possible convention or cliché regularly abused in this type of film, to the point where the lazy screenwriting rubs off onto the viewer; turning them into a dreary mess of the person they were before watching the film. Even lazier are the casting choices, with each actor essentially playing blander versions of their previous characters. It's a hopelessly boring flick with little redeeming value; 96 minutes you'll never get back.

Grade: D+
½ July 1, 2012
Not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it lacks in story and performances. Jane Fonda was good, as was the Olsen twins' sister Elizabeth Olsen. Look for a cameo from Katharine McPhee! Wait for DVD or TV...we watched it via Xfinity on Demand.
June 8, 2012
A little film with big laughs from a great ensemble cast. The storyline is about a family healing from past and current hurts and getting to the place of renewing their relationships. Limited release today...wide release on 6/15.
February 14, 2014
Strange story of hippies from the 60's but, still enjoyable mother daughter relationship building in this one.
October 1, 2014
A candidate for the Boring Hall of Fame
August 28, 2014
Story-wise, it seemed a bit contrived. The driving force behind the piece is the mother/daughter role, which is explored, but the husband/father role is scant and lacking. A pleasure , entertaining, but not exactly moving.
August 3, 2014
Much better than the Tomatometer would have you believe. Maybe I'm just a sucker for stories about life, romance, and starring Lizzie Olsen? I'll admit the fact that all three generations of women find their salvation in relationships with men is a bit anti-Bechdel for me!
½ July 26, 2014
OMG, the writers couldn't sit down for an hour to hammer out plot points before writing this. Shame on them.
July 19, 2014
for some reason i really liked it. it's like a road-trip down memory lane with gorgeous scenes of upper NY state. yeah, hokey -- but i'd never heard loose lucy on a soundtrack. just made me smile
½ March 2, 2014
A movie about an uptight lawyer, Diane, who has just been asked for a divorce who takes her two teenage kids to stay with her hippy mother. At points it is a mess of stereotypes and cliches. It is entirely predictable, and some bits fell flat, but otherwise a cutesy film..