Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding Reviews

December 9, 2012
I liked this movie. It wasn't anything too deep, or earth shattering...just a nice, enjoyable, sweet movie. Jane Fonda looked wonderful, and she really added a special, delightful touch to this..
LWOODS04
½ January 12, 2011
Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding was a quirky eccentric film. Jane Fonda as Grace was the perfect role for her. She played it with such ease that it was obvious that part of herself was reflected in the character. The essence of Jane Fonda's past definitely comes into play with this character. Catherine Keener does a great job at playing the proper defensive attorney daughter of the free loving hippy Grace. When Mark tells Diane he wants a divorce she packs up the two kids to visit her mother who she hasn't seen in 20 years. The kids and grandmother have never met and are quite taken with each other. Zoe is upset about the divorce and confused by her mothers behavior. She is judgmental and can't see past her on views. She is like her mother in that aspect. Jake is more nonchalant about the divorce and really doesn't seem affected by it until you see the screening of his short film. Which by the way, was really good. It was probably my favorite part of the film. The film is basically about letting go and acceptance. I really enjoyed the film and I look forward to seeing it again.
Bathsheba Monk
½ March 4, 2013
Nice bland movie...good to see on a snowy wintry night. Jane Fonda, the grandmother, looked younger than Catherine Keener, her daughter, but that's Hollywood suspension of disbelief I guess. One thought kept going through my head: if daughter hadn't seen mother in 20 years (20 years!) I think there should have been a lot more splainin and conflict there. And another nit-pick: do such old hippies really exist? I know it was Woodstock, but....really?
½ February 15, 2013
Much better than I expected. Nice little movie with a good cast. Nothing groundbreaking, but kept me interested.
jjnxn
December 20, 2012
Jane is a lot of fun but this is a meandering unfocused mess.
Harlequin68
½ December 26, 2013
"Peace, Love & Misunderstanding" starts with Mark(Kyle MacLachlan) asking Diane(Catherine Keener), a lawyer, for a divorce. In reponse, she takes their children, Zoe(Elizabeth Olsen) and Jake(Nat Wolff) to the home of her mother Grace(Jane Fonda) in Woodstock which would be considered only natural if they had spoken any time in the past twenty years. Still, Grace welcomes everybody with welcome arms before preparing for the latest in a long line of antiwar protests.

And that's pretty much it for the underwhelming "Peace, Love & Misunderstanding," as differences in opinion, most importantly what to have for lunch, are attempted to be settled. Also, each character almost instantenously gets a love interest upon arrival but at least in this case they are mostly male, along with the nude model. Otherwise, the cliches pile up at a fast and furious pace, proving that the only thing I hate worse than stereotypes are false ones, as most of upstate New York is with the exception of some pockets of resistance in reality quite conservative, with Woodstock Nation being figurative rather than literal. All of which even some of the most talented actresses of three generations can do little with.
May 7, 2015
I'm not so sure I was in the mood to watch such a movie which is probably why my impression about it is so low. Or it could be the fact that it's a messed up, boring drama with no consistent story or character development.
August 3, 2014
Much better than the Tomatometer would have you believe. Maybe I'm just a sucker for stories about life, romance, and starring Lizzie Olsen? I'll admit the fact that all three generations of women find their salvation in relationships with men is a bit anti-Bechdel for me!
August 3, 2014
A liberal lovers 5 star film, Peace Love and Misunderstanding lives in a fairy tale world of Liberal bliss. The acting is good but the story is one sided and dull even for the hippie in all of us.
½ January 21, 2014
I want Grace to be my grandmother! Haha.

This movie is about an uptight new york city lawyer, Diane, and her two teenage kids. After her husband asks for a divorce, Diane leaves with her kids to stay with her hippie Woodstock native mother for a week. As the days pass, Diane and her mother struggle to make amends from Diane shutting her out of her life for 20 years because of her irresponsibility. But through her daughter's words and her son's award winning documentary film he made while in Woodstock, Diane comes to realize how true her mother is and how she should not be such a fighter against love.

Catherine Keener plays Diane, jane Fonda plays her mother Grace, and Elizabeth Olsen and Nat Wolf play Diane's children.

This film is a waste of Jane Fonda and Elizabeth Olsen's talents but I did enjoy this movie a lot, despite the lack luster acting and cheesy dialogue, and even the decision to cast Chase Crawford.

Peace, Love & Misunderstanding, I give you a 50%.
September 6, 2013
I turned it off about a third of the way in. I don't know if it's the horrid script or bad direction, but it's awful. I hate it when movies try *that* hard to be prophetic. Don't waste your time.
July 18, 2013
The most exciting thing about the movie was the actors, it starred Jane Fonda, Catherine Keener, Elizabeth Olsen and Chace Crawford. But sadly the story wasn't as exciting. It got boring in some moments, and probably the cast were the only ones that really made it worth watching and more enjoyable. It wasn't too funny nor too serious, it was in between. Which made it kind of boring. At least the story had some insight and really had something to discuss. Overall, great actors with very good performances but a bit too slow story that gets tired after a while.
½ June 30, 2013
An excellent cast cannot save PEACE, LOVE & MISUNDERSTANDING from being a total mess of stereotypes, cliches, and predictable plot points. This film is so contrived you cannot imagine that real human beings had any role in actually writing this. Thankfully, Fonda, Keener, and Olson add a true touch of humanity. It's always great to see Jane Fonda on the big screen and her role here, which basically saves the movie from being impossible to sit through, proves what an astounding actress she truly is. That all said, there's real warmth in PEACE, LOVE & MISUNDERSTANDING. Bring the actors back with a better script and I'd be happy to spend time with them again.
½ April 5, 2013
Good performances all around with some picturesque New York landscapes. Bad script with predictable situations and generally flat characters. The story's largest flaw occurs during the poorly executed emotional climax set at a film screening where no catharsis can be found. For people who don't mind fluffy entertainment, there's enjoyment to be found, otherwise not worth your investment.
½ April 1, 2013
As much as the critics love to pan art films of this nature , I found this to be a charming film despite moments of over the top corn ball behavior patterns of the touchy feely grand ma and her cohorts. I walked out feeling good.
February 6, 2013
The characters in this movie were very dysfunctional and wonderful. There were plenty of laughs and tears in this one with a great ending to round out the entertainment.
November 4, 2012
Kind of a cute chick flick kind of movie. It's a bit off the wall, and funny, but it drags on for almost 2 hours. I've seen better.
October 13, 2012
no misunderstanding here keener and fonda are great together! i wonder if jane finds it ironic that she started off her movie career playing daughters now she is playing grandmoms.
October 9, 2012
Beautiful film about personal transformation, forgiveness and acceptance of change. If you like Under The Tuscan Sun, this may very well be your new favorite flick!