The Pebble and the Penguin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pebble and the Penguin Reviews

½ November 9, 2012
The story is unrealistic (even by cartoon standards) and the characters are one-dimensional. Hands down Don Bluth's worst film.
November 5, 2012
I held off for years to not watch this movie because it didn't seem that interesting. But, I finally did and I didn't miss out on much by avoiding it. There are so many plotholes in this movie, I didn't really like the main character much at all, some of the animation was sloppy, and the story was just really weak. The only song I really liked was in the opening credits. This movie moves on so slow and only has a few action scenes. If you skip this movie, you won't miss much,
October 18, 2012
Ah yes. The movie considered Don Bluth's worst, even by Don Bluth. I think this movie is bad, as well, but I don't think it's the worst. That medal of heinous-ity goes to A Troll In Central Park. Overall, this movie is harmless and actually has a good concept that wasn't executed well, until Happy Feet came along. I'll give this two stars, mainly because of Jim Belushi and Tim Curry's performances.
October 4, 2012
wot this film is cr*p
September 16, 2012
Really bad characters.
June 20, 2012
Yeah here's a movie I remember not owning but seeing a couple of times when I was a kid. So after seeing it again for the first time in years right after seeing All Dogs Go To Heaven, here's my review for The Pebble and the Penguin.

Plot: Hubie is a shy penguin in Antarctica who is in love with this female penguin named Marina. But this big, strong cruel penguin named Drake wants her too. in order for Hubie to propose to Marina, he has to find a pebble so that he can. He wishes on a star that he would find the perfect pebble, and one falls out of the sky for him to use. But along the way, Drake pushes him into the water where he gets separated from the penguins by a leopard seal. He is then captured by human where he meets another penguin named Rocko who he helps to escape and is tricked by Hubie to take him back to Antarctica to try to stop Drake from forcing Mariana to marry him.

Like All Dogs Go to Heaven, it wasn't a horrible movie, only at least with this movie we don't get anything really weird. But also like All Dogs Go To Heaven the story isn't very original. I mean there's plenty of movies where the main guy is shy or has trouble talking to girls and they really made the fact that this is a Disney knock-off a little too obviously considering there being this bully who's the main villain who wants the girl for her looks like Gaston in Beauty and the Beast. Other than that, it just has a couple of other issues like most of the songs aren't that good and there's a bunch of stuff that is unrealistic and has a couple of plot holes, yet it's...okay...ish enough to enjoy.

Hubie: If there's one thing that I found to be really weird kind of right away, it's that Martin Short was voice as Hubie the whole time I knew this movie existed. I didn't even knew the guys name whenever I saw the movie as a kid, so it wasn't until right as I was watching the intro to this film that I found out. Which I found to be messed up in the sense that it's him being the lead and all that, even if it's the lead in an animated film. But I have to admit, for a guy that's a wimp I did enjoy how Rocko helped him stand up for himself which I kind of liked how it went in the end.
Rocko: He was an okay character. I mean he has his smart and energetic spirit who looks after himself which is likable for a supporting character like him. But then there's the cheesy stuff like what's his goal and everything so all in all, he's just so-so.

Music: I thought "Sometime I Wonder" and "Now and Forever" and kind of "The Good Ship Misery" were alright songs. But I was hardly a fan of "Don't Make Me Laugh" as a villain song and "Looks Like I Got Me A Friend" (even if the jokes in that one where nice)

And that's my review for The Pebble and the Penguin. It doesn't have an original plot and it has it's issues from some of its characters to some of the music. But it can be entertaining regardless for the most part.
May 26, 2012
I have never seen such an awfully formulaic movie (animated or otherwise) in my life.
April 9, 2012
If I have to choose between "greatest romantic hero of all time" or "stupidest penguin who's ever lived," I have to lean more toward the latter.
½ March 15, 2012
Don Bluth should be ashamed of himself.
November 11, 2011
This is a cute and harmless family musical that I enjoyed more when I was a kid.
February 17, 2012
Oh Donny Bluth. He made another weird, pandering-to-the-kids 90s film in Pebble and the Penguin. While it's not quite as stupid as Troll in Central Park or as unsuccessful-Disney-ripoffy as Thumbelina, this one is still pretty loony, and not in a good way either. It could definitely be worse, but yeaaahhhh.....I'm not gonna want this to come in on Saturday.....yeeaaahhhhh
February 10, 2012
I could watch it again and again... ;)
½ January 8, 2012
I used to watch this over & over! :)
½ December 24, 2011
Entertaining, but not very emotionally engaging, action and adventure film featuring 2-D hand drawn animation
December 19, 2011
A decent attempt, but with such a terrible love interest and villain, who will sit through it?
½ December 14, 2011
A blatantly banal and mediocre story any five-year-old is capable of writing that's full of unintentionally creepy animation, stereotypical characters, and awkward dialogue.
December 2, 2011
This was not as cute as I thought it would be. Kinda boring.
December 1, 2011
Too many unanswered questions make this movie annoying for adults. However, it is still good for children.
Gavin the moviejunkie1994
July 10, 2010
Looking back at Bluth's previous entries from the 90s, I was beginning to think about what I think about this one. Well, just say that when I was a little kid, I seemed to enjoy it, but as a young adult, I'm gonna call this movie decent. So, some of you are wondering why a 60%? Here's the reason why.

Here are some letdowns.

Letdown #1: The story was just... weird for a movie about penguins despite it's credit for a romance between two main characters. There were some things that were unexplained like "Why do penguins have clothing and hands to begin with?" and "Where did the three non-penguin birds came from?".

and Letdown #2: The songs made by Barry Manilow (despite it's decent music score from Mark Watters) were mediocre. "Now and Forever" (pop song included), "Sometimes I Wonder" and reprise and "Don't Make Me Laugh" were enjoyable, but the rest weren't that catchy at all.

That's it for the letdowns. Now for the highlights.

The animation is very good, the character designs aren't that bad, and the voice acting is entertaining.

So, is this movie weird? Well, kind of, but once you compare it to A Troll In Central Park, it's not a bad movie. It's just a decent and very cute penguin movie and it's worth watching for kids who like decent entertainment.

September 22, 2011
Extremely underated film. The script was written to intoxicate the soul with joy.