Movies Like Peggy Sue Got Married

Peggy Sue Got Married Reviews

movieguru12
movieguru12

April 11, 2008
A great romance. Kathleen Turner is always amazing & so is Nick Cage. The story itself is adorable. Definitely one to watch. A special gem of the 80s. I love it! :)
AJ V

September 6, 2010
As you can see from the title, Peggy Sue got married, but she isn't happy with her marriage. In this time travel comedy she goes back in time to see just how she got where she is today. I really like this movie, the story is really cool, and the actors are great. I highly recommend it.
Anthony L

October 5, 2010
I really liked Peggy Sue got married but I seem to be in the minority. It was unlucky to have come out just after Back to the Future really but it's a totally different film. I found it funny but also very touching, especially when Peggy Sue meets her Grandparents again. I can't believe I've not seen it until now, it's really underrated so if you haven't seen it already I would recommend that you do!
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

August 24, 2010
Erm. I think I was expecting more. Had some funny moments, but for a genre "comedy" it was far too sappy. Although Nicolas Cage's ridiculous voice was an interesting point, but hardly a selling point. I dunno, I was expecting many more laughs and a lot less love-loss, love stuff. Bleh. Don't need to watch it again...
It also kinda lagged a lot in the middle. A lot a lot.
James A

April 25, 2010
When people say that time travel movies are not entertaining and lame this must be what they are referencing.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

April 21, 2008
Peggy Sue Got Married, is one of my all time favorite Kathleen Turner films.

Kathleen Turner and Nicolas Cage star together in this film that takes Peggy (Turner) into her past. While she is at a high school reunion she gets to re-examine her life and love choices in her senior year of high school. Kathleen looks great and the premise is good. Another "must see" film on my list.
garyX
garyX

March 4, 2007
Lightweight time travel comedy that lacks the wit or invention of it's contemporary Back To The Future. There are some OK ideas, but Kathleen Turner lacks star presence, and Nicolas Cage is rubbish.
deano
deano

December 10, 2006
A more serious trip to Back to the Future territory. An interesting and delightful film, although asking us to believe Kathleen Turner is 17 is a bit much.
John B

February 3, 2014
Somehow Kathleen Turner got the attention of Oscar for this essentially crappy film. Peggy Sue is given the chance to re-do her life and that of her husband (Nick Cage as another loser). This is not one that Coppola should remember fondly.
Dannielle A

March 2, 2011
Slightly boring but part funny and feel-good.
Mike T

January 25, 2007
A charming, whimsical movie that boasts Coppola's trademark stamp in terms of visual prowess. Despite some clunky dialogue and humorous misfires, this is an entertaining movie filled with memorable performances.
zeravenyoej
zeravenyoej

June 16, 2007
A fun, if familiar, 80s-teen-film diversion. Kathleen Turner has a great voice. The cast is pretty surprising: Nicolas Cage, Helen Hunt, Jim Carey, directed by....Francis For Coppola. I could totally see somone relating to this movie-not me obviously. The begining is a lightweight good time, but things turn a little bittersweet towards the end, and that's not necessarily a tonal shift for the better.
Juli R

November 20, 2009
What would you do if you could go back, knowing what you know now? You might have to be middle aged and possibly on the brink of divorce to get this movie. If you have recently been wallowing in nostalgia, it might make you cry. An extra half star for Kathleen Turner.
Dracula787
Dracula787

April 25, 2008
One of Francis Ford Coppola?s bland post-Apocalypse Now pre-Godfather 3 projects. It could possibly best be described as a female version of Back to the Future (which came out only a year before this).

The plot follows Peggy Sue (Kathleen Turner), a woman in her 40s who has had a less than fulfilling life since she married her High School sweetheart (Nicholas Cage) at the age of eighteen. The film opens with her at her 20th/30th high school reunion (class of 1960, why they?re having a reunion in 1986 I do not know). To her great surprise she is elected reunion queen and as she goes up to accept her award she faints. Upon waking Peggy Sue finds herself having been transported into the body of her seventeen year old self back in 1960 for abstract reasons. There, she get a chance to play out her teen years again knowing what she knows now.

This is a nice little high concept premise, though there is room for work. Notable I wished they had come up with a different time frame then the late fifties, a time that?s been done to death, particularly in the similar Back to the Future. I would have liked a better set up of Peggy Sue?s life in the present so that I could better know her motivations, what she wants to change in the past.

Kathleen Turner is good in the lead role, she manages to give Peggy Sue a touch of a trailer trash aesthetic without taking it too far. It was also a pleasure to see Nicholas Cage before he started to be a parody of himself. The rest of the cast is fairly run of the mill.

This was a cute, mostly innocuous film, I had fun with it. However, it is sad to see what Francis Ford Coppola had been reduced to circa 1986. He went from a decade of masterpieces to this. This film could have been made by any moderately competent filmmaker and if I didn?t know ahead of time I never would have guessed this was done by a cinematic master like Coppola. Still, the film itself shouldn?t be penalized for having an over-qualified director at the helm. It?s good, but nothing great.
kenscheck
March 25, 2014
Peggy Sue married her high school sweetheart young, and is now in the midst of a divorce and feeling full of regret while attending her High School Reunion...but when she is crowned Queen in a goofy ceremony at the reunion, it all becomes too much, she passes out and wakes up back in 1960. Now she has a chance to try and change her fate, or can she? It's better than the usual "second chance at high school" movie, but it isn't a fantastic piece of art either. It's a shame Coppola's career kind of stagnated after the 70s..a lot of his work after "Apocalypse Now" is pretty average.
July 26, 2014
Recently divorced to her high school sweetheart Peggy Sue (Kathleen Turner) finds herself at at a high school reunion where she will have to break the news to everyone that she is no longer with her long time husband Charlie (Nicolas Cage). In the middle of being declared the queen of the event, she passes out and awakens back as a teenager in 1960. With the knowledge she knows about her relationship with Charlie she struggles to connect and decides to explore the possibilities of some of the others she would have been interested had she never been with Charlie. Peggy Sue was an interesting concept, but was for me rather lack luster for a movie with time travel. I feel this movie would have more charm had I lived in this time period and enjoyed some of the detail put into representing that time period, but without such experience, and watching this movie for the first time 28 years later Peggy Sue was not all that I had hoped.
rodjeckrich
March 1, 2013
I could see how this got lost in the Back to the Future shuffle but these are two different things and this was more is it a dream or time travel? After years of catching bits here and there, I finally watched this and enjoyed it aside from Nicolas Cage's annoying voice. This isn't bad Coppola by any means and Jim Carrey was pretty funny.
February 11, 2013
A drama-comedy about a girl who faints at a high school reunion and wakes up in her own past. Good setup, great actors, lots of fun scenes, but it starts stronger than it finishes. The final act and the ending are disappointing. You can still CHECK IT OUT since it's quite fun at times.
sgreen50
October 11, 2009
A twisted take on The Wizard of Oz in which Katleen Tuner plays an unhappily wed woman who goes back in time from her HS reunion. As is typical, the nerds became the winners and the "cool guy" became a philandering loser -and her husband (Cage).

Turner relives her teenage years and gets to amend old grievances, mend old relationships, settle old scores and screw the guy she really wanted. In short, she gets the fabled "second chance" (knowing what she knows now) that we all dream about. Ironically she also makes the same mistakes and exercises the same poor judgment, causing her to wind up right back in the same adult situation. Peggy Sue Got Married ends on a happy (or sappy) note when it is implied that she will reconcile with her hubby. So the moral is two-fold: If given that coveted second chance having learned life's lessons, we are captive to our character flaws and most of us would still fuck it all up. This is tempered by the happier 'everything is really for the best/there's no place like home.'

There are some fairly funny scenes in which the writers play up those little issues we all carry from high school like having a second chance to say what you should have said, but didn't think of at the time. There is also some cynical humor in Turner experiencing everything the second time around from an adult perspective. Ultimately, the movie is kind of captivating because it captures that wonderful fantasy everyone has about being able to go back. To go back and see old relatives and friends who are no more, your old room, your old pet, everything the way it was back when tomorrow was still wonderful.
June 3, 2007
I liked this a lot. It's a movie about time travel and since I'm always time traveling through my own life that helped me enjoy this one.