Películas para No Dormir: La Habitación del Niño (Films to Keep You Awake: The Baby's Room) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Películas para No Dormir: La Habitación del Niño (Films to Keep You Awake: The Baby's Room) Reviews

bbcfloridabound
May 14, 2014
The Baby's Room is Álex de la Iglesia's entry in the Spanish horror TV series "Films to keep you awake". I saw Iglesia's cult hit 'Day of the Beast' fairly recently and was thoroughly impressed by it. Obviously The Baby's Room is not of similar quality, but it's a more than interesting little story and better than the majority of the "Masters of Horror" episodes. If you were to pigeon hole this film, it would go into the 'haunted house' genre, and although there's haunted house themes; Iglesia makes more of it than just that. The plot focuses on a young couple with a baby that have just moved into a new home. After buying a baby monitor, the couple come to believe that somebody may be in the house with them; but the truth is something far more sinister. As a mystery film, this one works well. I can't say that the plot is completely original; though the film didn't turn out to be what I was expecting which is always a bonus. The central couple are both excellent, with Javier Gutiérrez particularly standing out. There are some good moments of suspense and the director does manage to keep us interested for the duration. It boils down to a decent twisted ending and I certainly recommend this film to anyone who can get their hands on it. 4 stars 4-11-14
½ January 28, 2012
Not too shabby. More of a Tales from the Darkside episode, than a horror flick. Pretty well done, though.
January 3, 2011
IMO, it's just a little spooky horror flick that uses almost all the formulas available to frighten you. However, it fails in doing so. The story hardly makes any sense; & the lesser said about the performances, the better. I'm glad that it wasn't a long movie and I'd like to thank the editor (or whoever in-charge of it) for that. Had it been longer, it'd have been a torture to watch it further. Provided as it is, it's okay as a TV horror show/episode.
Japes
August 14, 2010
This was a pretty decent film. It wasn't predictable and it had a nice pace to it. It was faster paced so you never got bored. There were some nice scares in it too that really kept me in tune with the movie.

It had an original plot, interesting story and I really enjoyed it.
½ January 17, 2009
Managed to creep me out once or twice.
John2223
½ October 6, 2008
Good mystery flick some good moments of suspense.
½ May 27, 2008
A good tense build up, but the ending was a bit of a letdown. I expected more of a background story as to what originally happened in the house too - as seen at the start of the movie. I have a feeling old Maria had a great story to tell. The storyline was a bit sparse in places. Not at all scary for me, but it kept my interest.
divinetrash
½ May 21, 2008
The performances and character were really likeable and relatable, some decent ghost-relates scenarios, but overall the film has many plot holes and just doesn't make any sense. Alex De la Iglesia is better off with comedies.
April 10, 2013
La Habatación del Niño (The Baby's Room) (Álex de la Iglesia, 2006)

I have, so far, only gotten to see two of the movies in the Spanish six-film anthology Films to Keep You Awake-Balaguero's To Let (viz. review 27Mar2012) and de la Iglesia's The Baby's Room. Given those two directors, it shouldn't be any surprise which one I enjoyed more; Balaguero is a mediocre director on his best day, de la Iglesia has yet to set a cinematic foot wrong as far as I can tell. The Baby's Room, despite being a made-for-TV (and thus tame, though not nearly as much so as it would have been were it an American made-for-TV production), is an effective, scary little beast of a movie that refuses to pull any punches whatsoever. It's probably not one you want to watch if pregnant, or if you've just had a kid...

Plot: Juan (El Crimen Perfecto's Javier Gutiérrez) and his wife Sonia (Hable con Ella's Leonor Watling) have just had a child, and therefore they need a bigger place to live. Juan finds the perfect house, big and brash and very new money, recently renovated, blah blah blah you know the drill. They move in and, the house being as big as it is, invest in a top-of-the-line baby monitoring system so they can keep tabs on the child from anywhere in the house. Juan wakes up in the middle of the night, checks the baby monitor, and sees someone sitting next to the cradle. Into the room he goes, and... no one. You know how this story goes-no one else sees the mysterious figure, everyone else starts to think Juan is nuts, but he is determined to prove the house is haunted.

Creepy, creepy, creepy. de la Iglesia pulls out all the stops for this one, including a crazy homeless person spouting odd prophecies who may have a connection to the house, all kinds of lighting and sound tricks to subtly lead the viewer in the right direction, and the very real possibility that, yes, the stress of all the major life changes he and his family have recently made has driven Juan to a nervous breakdown and he just refuses to realize it. Don't worry, however; de la Iglesia will not leave this one on an ambiguous note, and that last sequence? Oh, man.

The weak points are few, but they do exist. Some of the actors, especially in minor roles, are...questionable casting choices. The movie does play with that means-versus-mansion motivation that never fails to annoy the bejesus out of me (how do these two people making what these two people make afford this house? AND, in this case, while juggling a new baby, which is a very expensive proposition these days?). And, of course, de la Iglesia was severely constrained by the time limit he was working with (the movie clocks in at a threadbare seventy-seven minutes, and I'm wondering how many seconds de la Iglesia had to beg and plead the producers to cut out of the advertising budget to get that length; Balaguero's entry came in at sixty-eight minutes). None of these things are deal-breakers, but they make me wonder what otherwise could have been. A good, solid offering that probably could have been a great one. ***
February 4, 2012
From the Spanish collection "6 Films to Keep You Awake" (think the Spanish version of "After Dark Horrorfest's 8 Films to Die For" series of movies), "The Baby's Room" focuses more on genuine, spine-chilling creep factor than big budget effects. This movie proves to be an enjoyable and tense look at a family man's quest to keep his loved ones safe from a sinister force threatening them. The movie keeps you guessing whether the nightmare he faces is all in his head, otherworldly haunts, or something else entirely. While the movie is completely in Spanish, the subtitles take little, if anything, anyway from the sheer terror the protagonist grapples with. A heavy, yet anxious atmosphere keeps this one interesting all the way through the final moments. For those of you who were fans of "Insidious," I highly recommend checking out this one.
January 18, 2012
The leads were convincing enough and the entire piece has a spooky tone, but unfortunately was unable to get under my skin
½ November 1, 2011
I had no idea what to expect from this one, and it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Just when I was sure it was going to be just another haunted house flick, it went in an entirely unexpected direction involving the infamous Schrodinger's Cat paradox. The whole flick can be summed up in a single key sentence from the screenplay: "If you try to save the cat, you might end up in the box." Intelligent, well-crafted and unusual horror here that hooked me in and kept me involved right up until the end... which may seem a little flat until you've thought about its implications for a few minutes. Despite a near-absence of blood and sex, "The Baby's Room" can keep even jaded, 'I've seen it all' variety horror fans engrossed. It's not a perfect film, of course, but I'm not inclined to say "Wow" in my reviews, but...

Wow.

This one's a keeper, folks.
October 10, 2011
Very good, not great spooky freaky. Good musical score,well acted and directed. Good Mexican film, ending was good, but a tad predictable.
July 17, 2011
A baby monitor makes creepy noises, and the dad decides to figure out what's going on to protect his family. A Spanish film, this movie moves from a basic cookie cutter premise to the land of the surreal and strange. VERY spooky. I had to ask my husband to come into the room for moral support during one scene. I would've shut it off it I was alone in the house. And that says something.
½ July 15, 2011
The movie isn't horrible per say, but it truly did not live up to its full potential. The score is a big problem for me because I do not need music to tell me when to be freaked out. Also, the film dragged in some places and was rushed in others where it should have taken more time. Plus, I kept thinking the "ghost" looked very Frankie Goes To Hollywood and nothing about the 80s scare me.
½ August 22, 2010
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up

This film is part of the 6 Films to Keep You Awake Series. This one is well-acted, darkly funny and really entertaining.
½ January 31, 2010
A decent little horror flick from the Spanish TV Series "Films to Keep You Awake". A young couple runs into trouble w/ spirits or something from a parallel existence. Could probably have been fleshed out more, but works OK in the 1 hr format.
½ January 23, 2010
A decent atmospheric movie that made you think a little bit. The story was pretty interesting and it had a scare or two thrown in for good measure as well. A pretty watchable horror flick.