Películas para no dormir: Regreso a Moira (Films to Keep You Awake: Spectre) Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ April 10, 2013
This was my first experience of the series of Spanish TV horror films collectively entitled 6 Films To Keep You Awake, and I was really somewhat surprised by how much it struck me, how affecting I found it. It tells of an old man, Tomas who is sent a Tarot card and returns to his childhood town in order to see who sent it, remembering as he does so his teenage romance with a lonely lady who he befriended. Thought the film at first gives the impression that it is due to be more spooky, as it goes on it moves away from horror territory, it is more a slow burning and poignant look at young love, its consequences and the passage of time, it has supernatural accoutrements but the film is mostly drama and it does remarkably well in its small run time. Writer/director Mateo Gil spins a compelling tale rich in hot, languid atmosphere, the flashbacks that take up much of the film hum with a sad, nostalgic longing but the modern day scenes have a contrasting adept chill. The performances all come off nicely, Juan José Ballesta has the appropriate shades of lust, curiosity and naiveté as young Tomas while Jordi Dauder is drawn and tired as his older self. Natalia Millán is very fine as the lonely and beautiful Moira, sensual, mysterious and kindly, mixing attraction and inscrutability very well. Decent performances come too from David Arnaiz and Adrián Marín as friends of young Tomas, and slightly frayed, colder turns from José Ángel Egido and Miguel Rellán as their older counterparts. The film is a little predictable and its scope is slight, but I found myself unusually moved, its quiet chills, and classic story combined with beautiful presentation and ever useful messages (against jealousy, superstition and mob mentality) make for a thoroughly classy and enthralling time. Well recommended for those who enjoy MR James style horror or creepy drama fare, though fans of fast paces and boo scares should avoid. 4 1/2 Stars 4-9-13
John2223
February 23, 2010
An stylish Spanish ghost movie in the J-Horror style that is slow moving and delivers some spooky moments.
½ October 3, 2013
A slow moving ghostly horror film. Told as two parallel tales about the same character -- as a teen experiencing first love and small town small-mindedness and superstition, and as an old man returning to the village of his youth and learning that the superstition may not have been all wrong. The two stories come together just before the ending that was intended to b e a shock but that I saw coming. Reminds me in many ways of Japanese horror films.
½ January 17, 2010
This is a slow moving ghost story that almost has an Asian style to it. It has some decent atmosphere and a good story to it. It goes from present time to flashbacks and it has a little bit of a twist to the movie, in which I did not expect. The acting was pretty good. The only problem I had with it was that it was too slow, but the ending was kind of worth seeing.
½ December 3, 2009
Slow-going murder mystery/ghost story. Better of the '6 Films to Keep You Awake' with plot, but otherwise, fairly boring tale of tragic romance.
March 28, 2012
A good, solid ghost story with a bit of a twist.
August 22, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

A good entry in the 6 Films to Keep You Awake set. Intriguing and well-acted.