97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The People That Time Forgot Reviews

Phil H

July 6, 2013
The sequel to the first much better film, the second of three novel adaptations of Edgar Rice Burroughs, another Amicus film and once again directed by Kevin Connor. Hence all films do look similar with their visuals.

So the story continues, this time a small band (well three people) set off to find Doug McClure and his blonde bird. This time the hero is a former 'Sinbad' in Patrick Wayne, mechanic Shame Rimmer and sexy gorgeous paleontologist Sarah 'Ursa' Douglas (Superman II). Both Rimmer and Douglas starred in 'Superman II'. Altogether with a stereotypical big breasted primitive tribal female they go off in search of the lost characters from the last film on the same lost island.

First thing we notice in this film (which wasn't really touched on that much in the first until the end) is the fact this lost island is gigantic. We really do see how far this lost world spreads when our heroes arrive and escape by plane, it pretty much goes on for as far as the eye can see with mountains and arid terrain. Well apparently its a lost polar continent (not just an island), once again I must ask how on Titans balls does an entire continent not get properly discovered? especially during the WW1 era, its a mystery in itself!.

This film feels really silly, I know that sounds weird considering the content and the previous film but this just feels dafter. This time we get to see a more advanced tribe that look very similar to Japanese samurai, in fact if I didn't know any better I'd swear the film makers simply used the ancient Japanese warrior style as a quick easy fix instead of coming up with something original, hmmmm. Then we meet this big fat tribal leader guy who looks like Marlon Brando and his little slimy 'Grima Wormtongue-like' assistant. Looks a bit dubious if you get my drift.

Its at this point, well leading up to it, that I started to realise this film is more of an 'Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom'/'Conan' type affair which feels more swords n sorcery than dinosaurs. The whole sequence within the nasty tribes lair felt very 'Conan-like', the rather huge tribal chief, his snivelling little minion and the muscle bound warrior bloke all felt rather out of place in this film. The whole setup for that part of the film was actually quite good in a tacky early 80's barbarian type way but just not right for this films universe.

McClure is back here as the same character from the first film, seeing as its all about rescuing him what did you expect. Unfortunately the film diverts from the original novel quite a bit and this sees McClure's character die (spoil...ah who cares). Why? beats me, more dramatic I guess, this then leads to exactly the same finale as the first film where the island begins to erupt...again.

A reasonable adventure flick that loses its way and kinda struggles to keep you entertainted. There are less dinosaurs, they actually look worse this time round believe it or not, its more about the tribes which is dull frankly. Wayne isn't as good as McClure that's for sure but luckily the combo of Sarah Douglas and Dana Gillespie is stunning, kept me involved.

It just doesn't feel like this needed to be made really, its all about the dinosaurs for me and this film doesn't have that many, so what's the point?.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An okay sci-fi adventure movie, it's not all that interesting, and pretty boring for the most part, but it has some good scenes too, so it's okay.
spazzs69
April 1, 2010
Love the fake dinosaurs but that time we didn't have computers to generate graphics. so do with what you have ....lol overall ok of a movie for its time.
April 28, 2014
The movie is terrible. Cheesy effects, acting, and story. The dinosaurs are laughable even for the late seventies.
October 28, 2013
The mystery, plotting and originality of The Land That Time Forgot is missing in this more action packed sequel. Oh and the Dinosaurs are vastly inferior too. Having said which it starts brightly enough before degenerating into pure hokum. Stick with its predecessor and forget about this lame sequel.
September 3, 2013
Blandish plot with silly ideas, but it's still a fun little sci-fi adventure flick. The dinosaurs are still goofy looking, and appear even less than they did in "Land". The native people were awful looking. Decent action scenes though, and an overall satisfying ending.
July 9, 2013
Watching "The People That Time Forgot" 1977- produced by Samuel Z. Arkoff. This is the sequel to "The Land that Time Forgot" 1975. Arkoff is also credited with starting a few genres, such as the Beach Party and outlaw biker movies, and his company played a substantial part in bringing the horror film genre to a novel level with successes such as Blacula, I Was a Teenage Werewolf and The Thing with Two Heads. American International Pictures movies starred many established actors in principal or cameo roles, such as Boris Karloff, Elsa Lanchester and Vincent Price, as well as others who later became household names, including Don Johnson, Nick Nolte, Diane Ladd, and most notably Jack Nicholson. A number of actors shunned or overlooked by most of Hollywood during the 1960s and 1970s, such as Bruce Dern and Dennis Hopper, also found work in one or more of Arkoff's productions. Arkoff's most financially successful film was the 1979 adaptation of Jay Anson's book The Amityville Horror.
This movie embodies everything I love about 70's Hollywood and Sam Arkoff. I remember as a kid going to Saturday matinee and watching shorts and then great feature films such as this. Model making and effects at it's finest for the time. Movie like this helped to usher in movie making giants such as Lucas and Spielberg. Without filmmakers like Sam Arkoff there would be no modern cinema. Although compared to today's CGI films these movies appear quite "cheesy" they've never lost their charm with myself and millions of others who for a dollar or .50 cents, could enjoy a Saturday afternoon.
FilmGrinder S.
January 4, 2013
78%

McClure is back!
October 25, 2012
The merging of The People That Time Forgot and Out of Time's Abyss doesn't work in the slightest, however it does manage to be more entertaining than the original.
April 28, 2012
BEST EFFECTS I'VE SEEN, BETTER THAN THE AVENGERS 100%, MOVIE OF THE CENTURY IMO PETROL BOMBS
April 28, 2012
SUCH A GOOD MOVIE, SUCH GOOD ACTORS, SUCH A GOOD SCRIPT
March 3, 2012
bad card board sets, one dimensional characters and plastic dinosaurs. Edgar Rice Burroughs would roll over in his grave. Perfect for a rainy day if you need a laugh!
Pookie Burgess
November 13, 2011
So bad, it's good! Cavewomen with perfect hair and tight clothing; rubber dinosaurs rampaging against a host of intrepid washed up actors; neanderthals in samurai warrior costumes; an evil lair that looks like Castle Greyskull, only less believable. Hilarious! [i]The People That Time Forgot[/i] is the Sunday afternoon television fodder that makes the child in me salivate with glee. I highly recommend this wildly incompetent raspberry!
moviebuff18cab
September 23, 2008
THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT (1977)
Sushi B.
January 27, 2011
A real Snoozer. Best watched with a belly of Nyquil. Rubber monsters and bad acting together on the big screen. Even the "Babe" was not hot!
September 25, 2010
Plaster monsters and silicone breasts ares til more fun than CGI.
Frozone
March 29, 2005
Some ratings for some films I caught....