97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Perfect Storm Reviews

July 28, 2014
The actual story is highly fictionalized, as we don't really know what happened to the doomed crew of the Andrea Gail. However, there's enough visual spectacle, heart, and relatable characters to keep the film afloat. James Horner's score, while manipulative, is irresistibly moving and powerful. For a more true account of the events, read the book, for a solid disaster film that has it's own sea legs, watch the movie.
June 15, 2014
Although Air Force One was the last best film by Wolfgang, every prop used was mostly interesting, however, the performance itself is not strong enough to help make the movie better.
Matt H.
July 6, 2014
The Perfect Storm is a an overlong, pointless washout that never connects with us emotionally. It takes forever to get going, and each scene is dragged out until the viewer reaches wits end. Even after all of that, the movie never rewards us for our troubles, instead giving us cliché after cliché in the script and very static characters. It may have great special effects, but they're wasted in this movie.
February 5, 2009
Wasn't as drawn in to the story as I originally thought I was going to be. Didn't really engage.
TheFeldster
June 22, 2014
Yet another Wolfgang Peterson maritime disaster film, "The Perfect Storm" is rote and flawed, but has some memorable moments.

Featuring a respected cast including George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, Diane Lane, John C. Reilly, William Fichtner, Bob Gunton, Karen Allen and John Hawkes, the actors try their best to add depth to a raft of characters who don't really develop or go anywhere.

Meanwhile, the special effects are nice, but the climactic sinking event almost seems rushed at the end, as if the director realized he already had 2 hours of nothing happening and decided to wrap it up.

That said, the effects are very well done, and it does capture some of the claustrophobia of being on a fishing vessel.

3 stars.
February 3, 2012
This movie had great effects and a great cast, but the story was certainly dry. It may be based on a true story...but it deserved a better storyteller.
dksconsulting
June 17, 2014
Very realistic...the rescue scenes really hit home on just how dangerous their jobs can be....
June 12, 2014
The Perfect Storm special effects wise is extremely good but plot wise it suffers through some very cheesy dialogue and at times some very overdramatic acting by George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg
June 7, 2014
I worked on this film , and it was one of the great experiences of my life .
June 5, 2014
An iffy start but once the storm gets going the movie is great.
May 28, 2014
Despite it's dazzling special effects, the film just isn't as epic as it should be especially with leading talent like Clooney and Wahlberg.
July 4, 2012
A tragically entertaining film that breaks the hearts of it's audience by giving them hope when there is none
Buggy43
April 19, 2014
the Fall of 1991, the "Andrea Gail" left Gloucester, Mass. and headed for the fishing grounds of the North Atlantic. Two weeks later, an event took place that had never occurred in recorded history. Caught this on TV the other night, its been a few years since I've seen it now and I'd forgotten about all the side stories and the lead up to "the perfect storm." The girlfriends and family back home at the Crows Nest bar, "Marian" on the sailboat, the weather channel dude and the coast guard rescue. Still a great movie 10 years on, superb special effects and a thrilling story even though parts of it were a bit OTT (Clooney with the welders torch on the teeter tottering stabilizer?!) and the fact that every little incident explained in the book is used in one trip here (sharks, man overboard, etc) Still it makes for a gripping ride and the ensuing battle getting the Andrea Gail through the storm is amazing. The ending makes me cry every time, this was no exception.04.28.14
April 29, 2014
The Perfect Storm is an intense and exciting thrill-ride, with visuals that make you feel as if you are right there with the characters. The performances aren't bad, but at times they can seem overdramatic and cheesy. By no means a bad movie though.
April 8, 2014
Some intense action and storm sequences. And while all the storylines don't necessarily mesh together, the ending was a nice change of pace from the standard "based on true events" films.
bigms87cadillac
March 31, 2014
It's avery good movie... Sad but enjoyable..
lonnielliston
March 29, 2014
When acting is at its best. This film is one that shows you how it's done. George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg give their best efforts in proving just that.
Bgklenk
March 22, 2014
Great book, good special effects, terrible film.
March 16, 2014
Impressive visuals but ultimately lacking any heart or memorable moments.
msumner2009
March 3, 2014
Raw, gutsy and gripping. Great visual effects considering its age. I enjoyed it.