The Perfect Storm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perfect Storm Reviews

½ April 21, 2014
With an ensemble cast and Academy Award nominated visual effects lined up, The Perfect Storm sounded like an exciting old-fashioned disaster film.

As with most disaster films, particularly those with ensemble casts and a large array of stock characters, the humanity in The Perfect Storm is not that great. The only difference is that The Perfect Storm actually teies. The script isn't perfect and much of its characters are cheesy, but as a whole they actually do end up contributing a humane side to The Perfect Storm. Many viewers will find it a bit too sentimental as the characters talk out their troubles against the sad music of the film, but I enjoyed it becauuse instead of being blank and dull, there was actually attempts to give the emotions in the film a true sense of meaning. There are many moments in the film where the sentimentality of the film turns into unnecesarry melodrama which doesn't really add all that much to the feature, but as a whole I felt as if The Perfect Storm was able to work on a human level and that I certainly maintained sympathy for the characters more so than in countless other disaster films. The driving force in the successful dramatisation of all this is the musical score. I studied the film closesly and felt that without the music during many of its dialogue sequences it would fall flat and that the musical score gave it the perfect edge of dramatisation. This is important because the film does spend quite a bit of time building background to the titular disaster before it actually occurs, and that usually can be a burden. But thanks to the musical score, the general feeling of it all is pretty good. In the end I found that despite the fact that The Perfect Storm was a lot more focused on being a strong spectacle than on characterization, I found that the characters in the film were good enough to create an emotional atmosphere, and the musical score in The Perfect Storm is just beautiful, and it captures both the large scale of disaster during many scenes just as easily as it assists the emotional nature of the sentimental dramatic moments.
But the most important thing about The Perfect Storm is that it succeeds as a visual spectacle. The trip back to sea is not as good as Wolfgang Peterson's critically acclaimed German film Das Boot, but it is nevertheless an entertaining feature which realy benefits from having him as director. Wolfgang Peterson works The Perfect Storm very well because he is able to emphasise the tragedy of the story well enough to ensure that the story honours the memory of everyone that passed away in The Perfect Storm and the families that suffered from the loss. Despite what a lot of critics have said, I found that The Perfect Storm was a touching sentiment which did actually succeed on a human level even though it was a lot more focused on technical elements. As that is what Wolfgang Peterson is best at, it is no surpise just how good The Perfect Storm ends up looking. The Perfect Storm easily capitalises on its huge budget by using it to hire big name actors to start off the film, but more importantly by spending it all on ensuring that the film looks excellent. It makes a smart decision in both areas, predominantly in the latter because The Perfect Storm is an awesome visual experience. Admittedly for me there was only so much time I could spend seeing a boat struggle through waves when the film was not that focused on characters as the grim colour pallette of the film is realistic to the point that many viewers may find it dull, but I cannot deny the realistic nature of the film to be excellent. The detail in the film is amazing because the scenery gives it all a great backdrop and the solid production design makes it easily convincing as the Andrea Gail sails across the sea. The ship itself is detailed exceptionally on both the interior and the exterior, and it combines with the scenery to make the venture a great one where everything is captured with excellently atmospheric cinematography. And the visual effects are just spectacular. They are excellently realistic and edited into the film very well so that it never ends up overreliant on visual effects.
The technical elements of The Perfect Storm anchor it perfectly which make it the grand disaster spectacle that it needs to be. The sound effects are also powerful which also benefit from timely editing, and as I said before the musical score is excellent, so The Perfect Storm is excellent from a technical perspective both on the eyes and the ears.
And the cast in The Perfect Storm do their effort as well. While the film does not precisely focus too deeply on characters, the actors all do their part to ensure that the human effect of the film is felt.
The best element of the acting comes from the actors portraying the crew members on Andrea Gail as they all share a strong level of camarederie as they fight together to ensure survivial of the crew. Mark Whalberg leads it all with a likable character and confident level of heroism as the driving force, and George Clooney pulls in second with a likable archetype. John C. Reilly does a great job as well because he always has a likable persona and he is able to establish sympathy for himself early on in the film, and John Hawkes does a similar job albeit to a lesser yet still effective extent. William Fichtner and Allen Payne do their part as well. All of them interact really well with firm dramatic chemistry in The Perfect Storm
Diane Lane is a bit melodramatic at times but overall is ok, and Karen Allen is a welcome premise.

So while The Perfect Storm is much more of a visual spectacle than anything and may be somewhat repetitive and slow, Wolfgang Peterson's direction on The Perfect Storm make it an entertaining and emotionally affecting disaster film with unforgettable imagery and pure dramatic power.
October 9, 2014
Ein gut gemachter Film, der nach wahren Begebenheiten beruht! Due Gruppe von Schauspielern ist sehr gut gewählt und erhält somit einen nötigen Tiefgang. Petersen inszeniert den Film zuerst behutsam, bis er zur finalen Katastrophe heran schafft. Sehr gute Visual Effecte runden den Sturm ab. Sicherlich ist das alles wieder eine übertriebene Hollywood Party. Unterhaltsam ist es aber ganz sicher. Auch die Musik ist gut gewählt und eingängig!
½ October 2, 2014
George Clooney and Mark Whalberg do just enough to give this special effects extravaganza enough heart. It's surprisingly engaging in repeat viewings considering the lack of drama and predictability, and all credit goes to a strong cast.
September 21, 2014
Successful modern day disaster movie that is both spectacular and enthralling.
September 16, 2014
It's not a bad movie, I watched it and I would watch it again.
September 15, 2014
Simple workers go for high risk pay-off. Raw ending.
½ September 5, 2014
Not a terrible film. The problem, however, is that it spends two-third of its running time on people fishing and hanging out with their loved ones, and there's no drama or characterization. Plus, the score by James Horner sounds awfully similar to Titanic's, which was also composed by him. The Perfect Storm is just another flimsy, forgettable disaster drama.
December 16, 2013
The perfect time to not to die. This movie takes a sweet time for the movie to move a long, I mean the ending to this movie was very sad but the movie has some slow pasting.
½ August 11, 2014
Cool movie watched it ages ago, had no idea I hadn't reviewed it.
July 28, 2014
The actual story is highly fictionalized, as we don't really know what happened to the doomed crew of the Andrea Gail. However, there's enough visual spectacle, heart, and relatable characters to keep the film afloat. James Horner's score, while manipulative, is irresistibly moving and powerful. For a more true account of the events, read the book, for a solid disaster film that has it's own sea legs, watch the movie.
½ June 15, 2014
Although Air Force One was the last best film by Wolfgang, every prop used was mostly interesting, however, the performance itself is not strong enough to help make the movie better.
½ July 6, 2014
The Perfect Storm is a an overlong, pointless washout that never connects with us emotionally. It takes forever to get going, and each scene is dragged out until the viewer reaches wits end. Even after all of that, the movie never rewards us for our troubles, instead giving us cliché after cliché in the script and very static characters. It may have great special effects, but they're wasted in this movie.
½ February 5, 2009
Wasn't as drawn in to the story as I originally thought I was going to be. Didn't really engage.
June 22, 2014
Yet another Wolfgang Peterson maritime disaster film, "The Perfect Storm" is rote and flawed, but has some memorable moments.

Featuring a respected cast including George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, Diane Lane, John C. Reilly, William Fichtner, Bob Gunton, Karen Allen and John Hawkes, the actors try their best to add depth to a raft of characters who don't really develop or go anywhere.

Meanwhile, the special effects are nice, but the climactic sinking event almost seems rushed at the end, as if the director realized he already had 2 hours of nothing happening and decided to wrap it up.

That said, the effects are very well done, and it does capture some of the claustrophobia of being on a fishing vessel.

3 stars.
February 3, 2012
This movie had great effects and a great cast, but the story was certainly dry. It may be based on a true story...but it deserved a better storyteller.
½ June 17, 2014
Very realistic...the rescue scenes really hit home on just how dangerous their jobs can be....
½ June 17, 2014
June 12, 2014
The Perfect Storm special effects wise is extremely good but plot wise it suffers through some very cheesy dialogue and at times some very overdramatic acting by George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg
June 7, 2014
I worked on this film , and it was one of the great experiences of my life .
June 5, 2014
An iffy start but once the storm gets going the movie is great.