Peter's Friends - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peter's Friends Reviews

½ September 25, 2008
I've been meaning to watch this film ever since reading its review on a Microsoft Cinemania '95 CD... it's very much a product of its time with the 80s soundtrack reminding me of discos from the early 90s. A bunch of thespians playing thespians; there's not much to describe with giving the plot away - worthwhile if you're a fan of Branagh & Thompson or Fry & Laurie.
July 14, 2007
Interesting relationships between old friends.
½ March 7, 2007
I do not have the linguistic faculties to express how much I hate this film. Luvvy infested unfunny, pretentious crap.
½ December 19, 2007
January 11, 2014
A wild hair purchase from Big Lots based on the cast, and while it's watchable, I would also have to admit that there's not a lot of surprises here, but the performances are well worth the ride.

Give it a rental.
August 26, 2009
Peter invites his college friends over to his manor for a reunion, but it ends up proving to be a test of their relationships. I really enjoyed this film. It's a nice balance between comedy and drama, and it had a great soundtrack.
June 28, 2009
British version of "The Big Chill" - Emma Thompson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie - how could you go wrong with a cast like this ?!?!?
½ October 7, 2006
A British film that reminds me of "The Big Chill". University friends are brought together at New Years many years after they have gone their seperate ways by Peter...who is harboring a secret reason for why he has invited them all. Each is at a point in their life where they are finding life isn't turning out as they thought it would. A very good movie.
March 18, 2007
This movie has great nostalgic value. In college me and some friends would each pick a character. When the character's name is said - take a drink. Do not play as Peter.
August 21, 2013
I'm a big fan of Rita Rudner's stand up comedy, and when I found out she'd co-starred and co-written a movie, I knew I had to see it. I'm glad I did. Lots of comparisons to "The Big Chill" (the idea of old friends reuniting and spending a weekend together is not a new one), but this movie is special because of its' excellent acting and high quality writing. Equal parts laugh out loud comedy and deep, moving drama, balanced together perfectly, with one never overshadowing the other. Long before "House," Hugh Laurie proved to be capable of drama. Rita plays what at first seems like your garden variety vain, airheaded American prima donna, but the screenplay gives her more depth and even a bit of sympathy. This British-American comedy is truly a hidden treasure. Watch it. You won't regret it.
February 6, 2014
A 90's English comedy drama well-oiled with amusement and joviality, pleasing soundtrack and musical set piece, and a story about privileged friends and their reminiscence of times past. Alas, this epigone is blighted by occasional slapstick and exaggerated acting, and everything is tied up far too quickly and neatly at the end.
December 8, 2012
Honestly, this is and has been one of my all time favourite films. I've watched it at least twice a year for over a decade now. I've read some complaints about this being a "Big Chill" rip off but really, while the two are certainly similar, I found this film to be much more entertaining and it always puts a smile on my face. The cast is a dream come true for anyone with an affinity for British cinema. The humour is dry in someplaces, witty in others, and wild in others still. This film comes highly recommended by this reviewer.
November 19, 2012
Loved this movie, which was probably somewhat semi-autobiographical, since Emma Thompson , Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry all were in a traveling review together when at university. The script was witty and dramatic, and the cast did an excellent job. Rita Rudner was especially perfect as the Hollywood wife. Peter's Friends reminds me why I like English movies so much.
October 14, 2012
A British "The Big Chill." I think I've seen it 50+ times. Have all the lines memorized. It reminds me of my HK friends and I miss them so much every time I see it.
April 14, 2012
Incredibly entertaining film about friendship with plenty of emotion along the way. The splendid performances of Emma, Imelda, Kenneth, Stephen, Hugh, Rita, and Alphonsia raise the bar of this fantastic film.
½ July 1, 2011
Charming Comedy by Kenneth Branagh with great acting all around and allot of heart.
May 6, 2011
Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Rita Rudner and Richard Briers. Great cast. Great wit.
½ May 8, 2010
simple, charming & a great soundtrack
April 16, 2008
Reviews I'd read called Peter's Friends a British version of The Big Chill. That's exactly what it is. A bunch of midlife adults realizing that life after college is like, as one line in the movie goes, "a black hole." The movie wasn't terrible, but I couldn't get into it. I think part of the reason was knowing it was cowritten by Rita Rudner, who, from what I've seen in her standup, isn't that funny.