19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Pete's Dragon Reviews

Matheus C

October 27, 2011
As a Disney animation enthusiast, not having seen this live-action/animation mix until now was my biggest sin (this and actually having seen a few of their direct-to-video sequelized offenders). Elliot the dragon is quite an endearing creation, but when he's not on the screen (and that happens too often), the whole film falls flat with no "real" star big enough to carry the thing. Coreographer Onna White tries to infuse some of the energy that made "Oliver!" so memorable, but the mundane songs she has to work with (the sole exception being the poignant "Candle on the water") make matters hard. It is technically accomplished, but it is another reminder of the sad time when Disney stopped making films for families and started making films for children. At least it gave us one of the coolest floats at Disney's Electrical Parade as one of its sole legacies.
deano
deano

April 3, 2007
Good heartwarming musical adventure filled with thrilling plot twists, this film is a wonderful blend of live-action and Disney animation. This is a sort of a children's version of Harvey and another attempt for repeat the Mary Poppins magic. There are a LOT of songs, even for a Disney musical.
Settings look wonderful. I wonder if Passamaquoddy exists for real. Nevertheless, Passamaquoddy is one heck of a name.
Jim Dale as the unscrupulous Dr Terminus, and Red Buttons as his dim side-kick, are genuinely funny villains. The blending together of animated Elliot and the living, breathing actors is very good - especially for 1977 - though in a shipwreck sequence near the end the special effects are utterly dreadful.
Conner R

June 4, 2010
I will never fully understand what disney was thinking when they decided to make a live action movie with an animated dragon. If only all homeless slave orphaned kids had imaginary friends to distract them from their terrible lives. This seems like it should have been more bizarre than it really ends up being, but it's still worth seeing for the nutso logic.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
"Pete's Dragon" is one of the most underrated Disney movies ever made. It's one of the few Disney movies that I haven't ever heard a lot about. It's about an orphan named Pete (Sean Marshall) and his only friend Elliot, a dragon. Once Pete is adopted by some people who live in a lighthouse, the movie takes an interesting twist.
I thought "Pete's Dragon" was a good movie. It's entertaining, parts of it are funny, and it even has a few good songs. If you would like to see an interesting and entertaining movie, I recommend getting "Pete's Dragon." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Would've been cool to have my own dragon....
James A

May 21, 2006
I hated this when I was a kid and I hate it even more now.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

July 9, 2007
Doesn't hold up well at all. Strictly for children under 8.
Lafe F

July 5, 2007
A cheerful but dorky mix of live action with an animated dragon. It's fun seeing an older Mickey Rooney as a scruffy lighthouse keeper. I liked the bad dudes too. It was big in its time, but is now greatly forgotten.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 23, 2007
decent little family flick
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
My favorite film as a kid...
Dannielle A

September 7, 2006
I LOVE the music, the message, and the joy of watching this movie over and over again.
ashley h

June 22, 2007
I loved this as a kid,the songs,the invisible friend-a great Disney
Jason R

September 3, 2009
Every once in awhile I like to watch movies I use to watch as a kid, and sometimes I'm dissapointed and sometimes I am not it's just how things go I guess. Pete's Dragon is a special movie to me because as a guy who has an overactive imagination I realized after watching this some twenty years after first seeing it, that I still have the same kid-like imagination. As a film it is okay, but the film has such a great collection of actors that it is so hard not to like this movie.
Sunil J

August 9, 2007
I loved this movie as a kid. The music is very catchy and I remember all the words.
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 14, 2006
This makes me smile just thinking about it.
PC79
PC79

September 18, 2006
Loved watching this while growing up!
February 21, 2010
Pete's Dragon may very well be the best Disney movie out of everything made after Walt himself passed away. This is an incredibly sweet movie with a stellar cast and an outstanding soundtrack. Joel Hirschhorn and Al Kasha were robbed of an Oscar and definitely deserve more credit for these songs. Jim Dale also really cracks me up as the scheming Dr. Terminus. And I found the Maine setting to be really quaint. But what I love best of all is the beautiful friendship between Pete and Elliott. Don't let the critics keep you away, because this is one of Disney's finest films. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
December 1, 2013
One of my favorite Disney films! I love the characters, story, and the music. It brings out my inner child.
olewarhrse
May 25, 2012
This movie made me cry. It's a story about friendship. Its about how its not easy to find someone who cares and when you find him, hold him and dont let him get away. Its about hellos and goodbyes and letting people go. and adoption. Taught me how awesome it would eventually be to get drunk and ride a bicycle!
December 26, 2011
I have to begin my review of "Pete's Dragon" by saying how amazed I am at Disney's ability to make a cartoon dragon interact with live characters for the duration of the film. Disney has always been an innovative company and films like this show us why. I highly recommend watching the bonus featurette on the "Pete's Dragon" dvd to understand the complexity of the process to bring this film to life. "Pete's Dragon" is the story of a boy and his friend Elliot (who happens to be a dragon), and the small town that believe him to be an imaginary friend. The idea to portray this "imaginary friend" with animation in a live-action world is the perfect visual concept. The actual animation of the Dragon is very expressive and this is a reminder of why it was a huge loss for Disney when Don Bluth went his own way (and proceeded to create classic flims like Rock-A-Doodle...). At first, I was annoyed that the dragon couldn't talk and instead behaved like a dog, but in the context of the story those were the perfect attributes for Elliot. I wouldn't say that any of the acting is excellent but it is generally above average. I absolutely adored Helen Reddy in this role with perfect maternal instincts. Mickey Rooney made a good comic drunk and Sean Marshall had a beautiful singing voice. The highlight for me was Jim Dale as "Dr. Terminus" (a.k.a. Doc Ter-Menace), not only for his clever name but because his acting was the perfect amount over the top. Even though I was a bit disturbed that he was singing a song detailing how they will kill and chop up a dragon, ‚Every Little Piece‚? is incredibly catchy and was my favorite moment of the film. It's definitely not "Mary Poppins", but I was surprised and impressed with how good the music was. This film has a very child-friendly feel to it, but the Oscar-nominated song ‚Candle on the Water‚? is obviously intended for adults. This beautiful and moving piece of music gives us a short moment to forget about the dragon and get lost in the themes of loss and love before returning to the main story. "Pete's Dragon" isn't one of my favorite Disney movies and cannot compare to other live-action Disney films like "Mary Poppins," but the impressive animation and catchy music make this a film worth watching once.