Critic Review - Film Journal International

Without a proper Phantom, the entire enterprise sags monumentally, and, unfortunately, Butler is a disaster here.

March 1, 2007 Full Review Source: Film Journal International | Comments (14)
Film Journal International

Comments

maddysegal

maddy segal

i can't beleive you can say gerard butler was a disaster. Like, i was so shocked that you could even think that! He was absolutely AMAZING! He's not a singer and he did a wonderful job and he's a great singer. He is a good actor. I thought he was the best at the part.

May 18 - 08:50 PM

Audra H.

Audra Hebard

Sorry Butler fans, but David Noh has a point. If you aren't a trained Baritone, you should not even be attempting a Webber Opera. I sincerely believed Gerard Butler's acting. But I couldn't stand his voice. It was an insult to the talented Phantoms that have made Phantom of the Opera a hit on Broadway. Butler spoke-sang most of the time, and don't forget that what we're hearing is all studio-recorded. No doubt some mixing was used to correct his pitch.

Mar 20 - 06:03 PM

Mackenzie R.

Mackenzie Runager

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree. Gerard Butler IS the Phantom of the Opera. He doesn't just focus on singing well. He brings all of the emotions of the phantom into his singing. He sounded dark, mysterious, and in pain. This is exactly how I imagine the Phantom to be. It's not all about whether you sing well. His voice was charming and dreamy in that rough but suave kind of way. I thought he was absolutely brilliant. I wasn't truely in love with the phantom until I saw him. He blew me a way. To me, he will always be the Phantom of the Opera.

May 14 - 11:23 AM

Dillypogo

Stephen Watson

LOL. Just...LOL.

May 22 - 04:28 PM

Anna T.

Anna Tole

I COMPLETELY agree, I saw the stage version but after seeing this movie I completely fell in love with Butler's phantom. His raw emotion came through his voice, even if he hit a wrong note at some points, I think he did a great job and when I think of the phantom I immediately think of Gerard. Michael Crawford didn't fit the role, to me. I saw Crawford perform, and his voice was too nasal-y and high-pitched for me. Gerard sounded more powerful, deep, enigmatic, seductive, crazy, and emotional which is exactly as the phantom SHOULD be.

Nov 15 - 08:42 PM

Mackenzie R.

Mackenzie Runager

May 14 - 11:45 AM

t42

Teresa Hobe

I just saw Phantom on DVD and I have to agree with maddysegal. I thought it was fantastic and Butler was amazing as the Phantom. I have to admit I was a tad skeptical about him singing, but I was blown away. I thought he was fabulous.

Oct 20 - 03:58 PM

Evelynn S.

Evelynn Styx

He was a great Phantom for your information! Your reviews are the true disaster!!

Oct 26 - 09:56 AM

Amanda K.

Amanda Kelly

YOU are an ABSOLUTE fool. THIS is the BEST version of The Phantom I have EVER seen. Gerard Butler MADE this movie.

Nov 15 - 10:43 PM

Sidhe T.

Sidhe Taurus

Excellent review. I agreed with every point especially how the casting was a disaster. Michael Crawford owned this role. Anyone expressing an opinion is not really qualified unless they saw him do it.

Dec 21 - 08:12 AM

Brad Redford

Brad Redford

Well said. Michael Crawford put so much emotion into the part that I cried listening to him on cd. lol Not that Gerard was lacking in emotion he was just to coarse and sometimes off pitch which I find funny because I'd imagine they would want to auto tune every inch of this production to make it sound superb. Guess they wanted to go for amateurism here.

Oct 12 - 10:04 PM

Emily W.

Emily Walls

I'd rather hear him singing off-key than with autotune. Autotune sounds terrible! Even more so than off-key singing, in my opinion.

Jun 16 - 08:04 AM

Anna T.

Anna Tole

I in fact saw Michael Crawford perform. But after seeing this movie, I instantly felt a deeper connection to Gerard's phantom. Crawford is rather nasal-y sounding, and too high-pitched. I felt like Butler's rough, deep, emotional, powerful and seductive voice really went along better with the characteristics of the phantom. I guess it's all in opinion though, and how you view the phantom because while Crawford did perform as the phantom, and I saw the performance, I feel Butler's whole performance of the phantom fit better with the character.

Nov 15 - 08:47 PM

Emily W.

Emily Walls

Gerard Butler's acting in this movie was wonderful. However, his voice was not angelic, the way the Phantom's should be. Moreover, he was too good-looking. The Phantom is supposed to be an unattractive old man with a beautiful voice. Sorry, but this really ruined this movie for me. I'd much rather watch the 25th anniversary version than this one. The only problem with that one is that Ramin Karimloo (who plays the Phantom) is also too good-looking.

Jun 16 - 08:03 AM

Tim Toole

Tim Toole

Agreed. If you're going to make a movie out of one of the greatest opera/musical's ever, Gerard Butler was most definitely not the person. He's a good actor, but he's not Phantom. If you want a good show, watch the 25th Anniversary performance with Ramin Karimloo. Ramin is the Phantom.

Sep 16 - 07:35 PM