64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Phantoms Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 24, 2009
"Wow! And not like wow, this was awesome. Wow like, OMG WTF did I just watch? I figured it being based on a Dean Koontz book and having Liev Schreiber, Ben Affleck, and Peter O'Toole in the movie, that this might be good. Jeez what a horrible mistake that was. The script, directing, acting, it was all bad. This is a mess of a film. I couldn't wait for it to be over. The story should have stayed on the pages of the book. The only thing entertaining was the bad acting. Liev did crack me up with his crazy ass laugh and his creepy tendacies. But besides that, I could have done without seeing this entire film."
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 6, 2011
Sheriff Bryce Hammond: All right, enough.
Sheriff Bryce Hammond: Enough! It's not a god, it's not a devil. It's just a fucking animal, and any living thing can be killed.
Timothy Flyte: But this thing is what wiped out the dinosaurs! Which were pretty tough fucking customers!

Phantoms is now one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Everything about it is a complete waste of time. The acting is complete shit. The dialogue is complete shit. The story is complete shit. The sound is complete shit. I could go on, but I think you get the point. For me the sound was the most annoying thing, besides Ben Afflecks horrible performance. During dialogue I would have to turn the volume up because the characters are whispering and I can't hear their worthless dialogue. Then, Bam, 5 minutes of screeching and banging that about blows my speakers. So I turn it down, then I have to turn it back up. That was the whole movie experience for me. The two actresses, while clearly easy on the eyes, are absolutely horrible and almost rival Affleck performance. I feel bad for O'Toole because he's such a great actor. I just can't see what made him want to be in this.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 11, 2010
Phantoms based on the novel by dean Koontz is a surprisingly scary ride, and is a non stop thrills, jolts and good scares. Phantoms is an awesome horror film, and it is very tense and thrilling. Before watching this film I had low expectations\, but luckily my expectations were exceeded. Phantoms is a roller coaster ride of horror that doesn't rely on Teen Horror cliches to create Horror. Dean Koontz does a terrific job adapting his story to the big screen. Director Joe Chappelle directs Koontz's story. Phantoms starts off with a taste of old fashioned horror films, and ultimately sets the tone for the entire film. The second half is just as impressive as the first half. Phantoms is a terrific example of to make a good monster horror film. Phantoms features a creature with many tentacles who fed on the population of a small town. Phantoms is guaranteed to give you a few good scares, and the film is much better than what people have said about it. Ben Affleck does give a decent enough performance, compared to his other dreadful performances in Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and Daredevil. He isn't bad here, but he's not great either. Peter O'toole gives the best performance here and manages to give this film better credibility. Because after all, O'toole is a legendary actor. Both Koontz and director Joe Chappelle manage to create a terrific horror film and the end result is very impressive. There's plenty of dismembered bodies and tense and suspenseful horror moments to keep you tense throughout the film. Phantoms is an underrated film, and you should at lease give it a look and decide for yourself.
Conner R

December 9, 2009
This was complete torture to watch. The story is just plain stupid, but Dean Koontz has never been exactly intelligent. The horrible acting, poor production value and directing make it hard to enjoy at all. It is almost funny how incredibly bad this is.
Luke B

April 13, 2009
Phantoms is a film most famous for being name-checked in Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back "Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo". The joke being that this is a rather simplistic B-Movie with nothing extraordinary about it. It's a solid effort and most enjoyable. It starts out as a very creepy film, empty town, dead bodies, heads falling out of ovens. The suspense and mystery is enough to hook you in. Soon the cops arrive and it turns more gung-ho before O'Toole shows up as Professor Exposition. All this great actor has to do is explain what the hell is going on. It's a bit of a waste but he does give it his all. The effects are passable and it's an adequate genre piece for any fan. But was Affleck, really the bomb? I'd give that award to Schreiber, with a refreshingly different OTT performance. Nice to see him laughing it up with his limbo scene.
garyX
garyX

June 2, 2007
A small town found completely deserted by a local sheriff is found to be inhabited by an ancient creature than can absorb and mimic its prey. Rose McGowan must have felt right at home when she made Planet Terror because this is exactly the kind of daft B-movie horror it parodied. Dean Koontz scripted his typical brand of dumb schlock and manages to rip off John Carpenter's The Thing AND Prince Of Darkness along the way. Ben Affleck plays the bemused lawman in his usual blank and mechanical way but Peter O'Toole, clearly just in it for the paycheck, brings a necessary sense of humour to it and it's a short and easily digested slice of cinematic junk food. Plus it's so unbelievably stupid it's almost endearing...
thefog1331
thefog1331

June 16, 2008
Better than expected considering I'm not a fan of Koontz or McGowen or director Joe (Halloween:The Curse...) Chappelle.
The first 45 minutes is a creepy thrillride but once the calvary shows up it loses its footing due to hammy acting, poor editing and the lack of some much needed exposition.
Dr Blood

June 23, 2007
Phantoms is one of the best versions of a Dean Koontz story to be filmed so far.
Ken S

May 7, 2007
Ben Affleck is the bomb in this movie
Michael G

November 28, 2006
Horrible. Absolutely horrible.
Aaron N

June 12, 2006
Affleck's the bomb in Phantoms yo.
Dann M

November 1, 2011
"Affleck is the bomb in Phantoms, yo!" Based on a novel by Dean Koontz, Phantoms follows the mysterious disappearance of a small town's entire population by a supernatural creature. Ben Affleck leads the cast and is joined by Peter O'Toole, Rose McGowan, and Liev Schreiber. And, director Joe Chappelle does an impressive job at creating an atmospheric and suspenseful tone that's rather disturbing. However, the special effects work is kind of poor and weakens the scares a bit. While Phantoms does feel derivative of other works, it's still a chilling horror film. Plus....Affleck.
Joseph E

July 24, 2010
I've always wanted to see this film
chadroesti
chadroesti

March 1, 2007
HAHA Ben Affleck way to step up after Good Will Hunting- Rose was hot though - Book was great!
August 12, 2014
Part "The Blob", and Part "The Thing" and nowhere as good as either of those. And what the hell is up with Live Schreiber's character?
February 14, 2010
Affleck may be the bomb in Phantoms, but that's about it. (First and only full viewing - Teen years)
May 13, 2012
This movie started out pretty scary and suspenseful, but eventually bottomed out into a run of the mill sci-fi flick. Had some decent parts, and the creatures were somewhat imaginative, just nothing too exciting or dynamic, in the acting or writing.
February 13, 2012
it's The Thing meets Outbreak with a touch of Silent Hill.. starring Ben Affleck. some freaky stuff goes on in this and it has a few genuinely creepy moments, but it's mostly forgettable.
juliantoepfer
October 1, 2011
I was excited when I learned they were making this into a movie, as 'Phantoms' by Dean Koontz is a terrific and very scary book which I've loved since I was a teenager.

Unfortunately, it received a miniscule budget and suffers for it. Based on the original book, this could have been one of the greatest horror movies in recent memory. The capacity was here for mind-bending special effects, creatures, and just general scary-as-hell-ness.

It really suffers alot from poor casting. They chose to go the 'Scream' route, casting a bunch of hot, young, minimally talented actors (Peter O'toole notwithstanding) which I simply could not take seriously. The running time is way too short, as they rush the original story's building and deliberate pacing, cutting out lots of important plot details as they go.

These negatives stated, the first two acts are actually pretty darn creepy. Great sound editing is a big plus. It nails the empty, hungry vibe of the novel and it is able to get under your skin very effectively. Once the final act begins, it loses a great deal of steam due to the insistence to explain everything to the point of being inefficient. While some of the mystery of the story is in play, it is surprisingly good.

The special effects are quite good for a movie of this budget, but has its cheesy moments. As it stands, its a fun horror movie that delivers a good atmosphere, some good scares and moments, but regardless of the fact that it is fairly good, it could have been far better based on the original story.
NuditysShiver
October 19, 2009
Before I begin, I would like to express my disdain for all things Affleck. I just don't like the guy, period. Phantoms, while being a nice little horror film adaption taken from one of my favorite novelists in Dean Koontz, should of had better lead. The film wouldn't have suffered in my eyes if it was a relatively unknown actor portraying the part of Sheriff Bryce Hammond. Phantoms surrounds itself with the notion that there is an all-powerful creature, The Ancient Enemy, that has gone through the generations wiping out random civilizations of man, including the dinosaurs. This time it's targeted a small ski resort in Snowfield, Colorado, where once again, all traces of human life are missing, save for a few bodies and random dismembered body parts. Even though Koontz' novel is a lot creepier, Phantoms is a good reprieve into the storyteller's mind. And a bonus, it gets right into the bone of the story, automatically throwing nail-biting scenes your way. The film is not nessecarily a gore-fest, but it does add a few scenes of some pretty keen prosthetics with an added chilling environment. Forget all the references to other films, Phantoms is a thrilling jaunt through a desolate town straight out of a, well, Dean Koontz novel.