Total Recall: Steve Martin's Best Movies

We count down the best-reviewed films of the noted actor, writer, director, and wild and crazy guy.

4. Parenthood (92 percent)

Ten years after redefining doofus comedy with 1979's The Jerk, Steve Martin had (mostly) traded in props and pratfalls -- and he cemented his more reflective, mature on-screen persona with his appearance as sensitive dad Gil Buckman in Ron Howard's Parenthood. Blending comedy and drama with crowded casts was trendy for a time in the late '80s (thirtysomething, anyone?), and there are few better examples of the "dramedy" subgenre than this tender, witty look at the tangled bonds between parents and their kids; Parenthood was greeted with a wave of glowing reviews upon its release, many of them reserving their highest praise for the uncommon dexterity with which the story (written by Howard, Lowell Ganz, and Babaloo Mandel) jumps between its numerous threads. Martin disappointed some critics (and fans) by trading in madcap laughs for gentle observations, but there's no denying he did it well. As Rolling Stone's Peter Travers pointed out, "It's a shock, and a welcome one, to see Steve Martin cast against type as a doting dad. Martin's nippy wit continually lifts this movie above the swamp of sentiment."

3. Roxanne (93 percent)

The years leading up to Roxanne were not the most active ones for Steve Martin -- after 1984's All of Me, he surfaced only to make a brief appearance in 1986's Little Shop of Horrors remake and co-star with Chevy Chase and Martin Short in ¡Three Amigos! the same year -- and this was due, in part, to the time he spent working on the script for Roxanne. A loose modern update on Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac, it stars Martin as C.D. "Charlie" Bales, a small-town fire chief and all-around good guy who just happens to have an enormous nose. Afraid to express his feelings for the titular object of his affections (played by Daryl Hannah), he compensates by helping a loutish volunteer fireman woo her. Like many Martin movies, Roxanne is unabashedly sweet, and although some critics found it overly sentimental -- Variety dismissed it as "hopelessly sappy stuff" -- most agreed with the Washington Post's Hal Hinson, who held it up as "the most unabashed, and most satisfying, romantic movie to come along in years" and "a swooning, delicate, heart-on-its-sleeve work."

Comments

vitajex

Mike M

Pennies from Heaven has got to be one of the weirdest musicals ever! That's the only reason I could get through it, as I generally don't like musicals.(I have compulsive homicidal reactions to "Jazz Hands")

The Jerk is, without a doubt, one of the funniest films ever. I could watch it 100 times and still laugh.

And if you don't like "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", you probably like to kick puppies too.

Feb 5 - 09:03 AM

Vito G.

Vito Gerasole

Steve martin is a great! My Blue heaven is by far one of the funniest movies ever he nails that roll. The Jerk should be number 1 and where art thou old steve martin all this new stuff is pretty bad except he has a small roll in Baby Mama which is classic Steve Martin. That right there lets me know that he does still have it he just chooses all this family comedy stuff.

Feb 5 - 12:10 PM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

I think Steve Martin is one of the greats. He's made some bad pictures, but so has all the other great comedians.

Feb 5 - 09:18 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Good lord, he's made some fantastic movies over the years.

Feb 5 - 09:24 AM

He's a Cockapoopoo

Michael Harto

Why does the "best" of everything have to depend on the Tomato Meter? Just because critics take themselves too seriously to give Three Amigos or My Blue Heaven a Fresh Rating... I should decide.

Feb 5 - 09:34 AM

spoo

R Lamb

Ugghh I hate My Blue Heaven but I do agree that The Three Amigos is great.

Feb 5 - 10:01 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

AH! My Blue Heaven is awesome... this list makes me sad, WHERE IS THOU AWESOME STEVE MARTIN?!?

Feb 5 - 12:02 PM

NancySansone

Nancy Sansone

You're right. I had forgotten "Blue Heaven." Another memorable dance scene just as fun as the one at the end of "All of Me." Rick Moranis deserves some applause too.

Feb 6 - 08:29 AM

Brad Z.

Brad Zukerman

Because thats the way Rotten Tomatoes judges movies. Its not dependent on one or two really good opinion makers. At the beginning the intro says that this is a list of Steve martin's highest rated movies. Thats the criteria RT goes by and you need to deal with it.

Feb 5 - 04:41 PM

opTIMus Nerd

Tim Ahlberg

I love Martin in many things but he has not made a film worth seeing in YEARS!

These Pink Panther things are depressing and I really don't understand the reason for another one...Uck. People saw the first one?

L.A. Story, I thought, was a turning point for him and I remember being quite excited back then to think that most of his movies, from then on, would be of that quality or better. Instead Sgt. Bilko, Pink Panther and other garbage. Booooo.

Feb 5 - 09:41 AM

tgibfo

Matt Ritchey

Some good stuff.... obviously I completely agree with THREE AMIGOS and MY BLUE HEAVEN being above PENNIES FROM HEAVEN...

Feb 5 - 09:49 AM

spoo

R Lamb

Ugghh I hate My Blue Heaven but I do agree that The Three Amigos is great.

Feb 5 - 10:01 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 5 - 12:02 PM

NancySansone

Nancy Sansone

Feb 6 - 08:29 AM

Hari Seldon

R Whitten

Best Steve Martin movies huh? Well let's see, there's The Jerk and .... Ummm ... I guess that's about it.

Feb 5 - 10:06 AM

SuperJuice

Killer Kowalsky

As an "old" Martin fan, he needs to see this and strive for this type a' gold again. His last 10 years of movie-dome output is abyssmal. Bowfinger was his last good comedy.

Is there any hope he'll somehow come back to us? I know he's about growing and shedding some of that old image, but his mojo is long gone. He could go back to his roots - maybe even going back to his *gasp* stand-up act (which is tried a number of years ago and putzed out).

Feb 5 - 10:19 AM

IBelieveInHarveyDent

john lyon

i used to have hope that steve martin would someday be funny again and then i heard his new banjo song on snl...

Feb 5 - 10:34 AM

Nate A.

Nate Austin

Martin has been in a rut for a while now, checked out his IMDB and his last good comedy was Bowfinger and it's ten years old already! Agree with Planes as the #1 film. Always thought The Man With Two Brains was pretty funny also.

Feb 5 - 10:43 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Planes as #1 is dead on, but I agree with others that Three Amigos would be on my top ten. But it's obvious how easy a list like this is if you can just rank them by something like Tamato meter scores too :)

Feb 5 - 11:29 AM

kodie131

Cody Dean

The Jerk should be #1! Planes is great, but come on, nothing beats juggling cats.

Feb 5 - 11:32 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Yeah, I like Three Amigos too. It's silly, but fun.

Snobby critics really tore that movie apart.

Feb 5 - 11:55 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

I do like the Tomato-meter makes an objective an impartial list, since it is a compilation of many critics reviews and therefore stands above individual preference. I do also agree that critics have a tendency to take themselves too seriously and this list is heavy on Martin films that are not what he's good at and known for (comedy) but are instead against type which critics like but audiences rarely do.

Three Amigoes should definitly be on this list and My Blue Heaven should be considered. I too mourn the Steve Martin of old, who mixed zaniness with a straight man routine, rarely seen today. I don't think we'll ever seen that from Martin again, b/c his mediocre family-oriented comedies are too safe a bet for studios.

Feb 5 - 11:56 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Don't forget BOWFINGER!

Feb 5 - 11:58 AM

Better Days

Gregory Adamo

Absolutely! Bowfinger is a very underrated film. Eddie Murphy was also GREAT in it.

Feb 6 - 05:03 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 5 - 12:02 PM

NancySansone

Nancy Sansone

Feb 6 - 08:29 AM

Vito G.

Vito Gerasole

Feb 5 - 12:10 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Wow! Looking at the opening for Pennies from Heaven, it's dead on for Hopper's "Nighthawks," one of the best American paintings ever.

That said, the more I looked at the films, the sadder and more nostalgic I felt. All these God-Awful films Martin keeps doing makes it like he's more than dead, but being tortured and dying slowly. . .

And Planes, et al. kind of makes me feel bittersweet, since we lost John Candy so early, and he was phenomenol in that film.

I hope Pink Panther dies, but I predict it'll make over 50 million domestic overall. . . Paul Blart surprised me by making so much opening day, but I attribute that to that film being PG, as is this one.

Feb 5 - 01:32 PM

vitajex

Mike M

I hate to say it, but I think the sequel will probably break $100M. The first one did $160M worldwide... and that's not including the $1 I paid at the Redbox...

Feb 5 - 02:39 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I would actually say Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is my favorite of his, I am a butler not a catcher.

Feb 5 - 01:47 PM

<em>The Simpsons</em>
The Simpsons

Catch up on 25 seasons of hilarity

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank