Total Recall: Steve Martin's Best Movies

Summary

It isn't the most highly anticipated sequel of the year, but The Pink Panther 2 opens this weekend, and in honor of Steve Martin's second turn as the successful-in-spite-of-himself Inspector Clouseau, we decided this would be a great time to look back at the best-reviewed movies of his career. Back to Article

Comments

mssk8erboy

First Last

What about Shopgirl? I loved that movie. Three Amigos is also a classic in my book, but they are right. Nothing is better than Planes Trains and Automobiles.

-MIKE

Feb 5 - 02:04 PM

vitajex

Mike M

I hate to say it, but I think the sequel will probably break $100M. The first one did $160M worldwide... and that's not including the $1 I paid at the Redbox...

Feb 5 - 02:39 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

The main thing about the Pink Panther remakes that doesn't make me just annoyed but angry is that when I was a kid I LOVER Peter Seller's take on the Pink Panther. They played it on HBO constantly, and whenever they did I would watch it.

Steve Martin's take on Pink Panther doesn't lick the shoes of Sellers.

Feb 5 - 03:17 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Steve Martin is areally funny guy who's been in crap of late. "Cheaper by the Dozen" was painful. The best thing he's done recently is "30 Rock", which was only a guest appearence.

"The Jerk" is by far his best. I laugh to the point of where it hurts. "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" is good too, but I hate "Pennies from Heaven". Garbage, slicked up garbage. All in all, this is one "Wild and crrazy guy!"

Feb 5 - 03:25 PM

inactive user

Jared King

*areally is a really.

Feb 5 - 03:27 PM

hope524

Andrew O

"you mean i'm going to stay this color?!"

Feb 5 - 03:49 PM

hope524

Andrew O

I can't believe Father of the Bride isn't on this list! Perhaps not classic comedy, but I defy you to find a woman who does not love that movie

Feb 5 - 03:50 PM

vashfanatic

Martha Boatright

I'm a woman, and I hate that movie. It perpetuates the myth that women all want a super over-the-top wedding while men just "don't get it" by being sensible and economical. While it's sometimes a charming look at parent-child relationships, I'd much rather watch "All of Me" or "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" (the latter being my mother's favorite comedy of all time).

Feb 5 - 04:18 PM

BatsInTheBelfry

Derek Meadors

Pretty good list. Man With Two Brains is still my favorite, though. The perfect amount of silliness without going over the top.

Feb 5 - 03:52 PM

shane f.

shane fenton

Steve Marin used to be so funny in movies (why he made that awful Bilko, I'll never know).

top 5

1. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
2. The Man With Two Brains
3. All of Me
4. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
5. Roxanne

Feb 5 - 03:57 PM

shane f.

shane fenton

Honourable mentions to (6) Three Amigos and (7) Planes...

(8) Lonely Guy was ok and (9) LA Story couls have been great if it wasn't for that awful (British?) actress in the lead female role. She was awful and annoying.

Feb 5 - 04:10 PM

vashfanatic

Martha Boatright

Feb 5 - 04:18 PM

Brad Z.

Brad Zukerman

Because thats the way Rotten Tomatoes judges movies. Its not dependent on one or two really good opinion makers. At the beginning the intro says that this is a list of Steve martin's highest rated movies. Thats the criteria RT goes by and you need to deal with it.

Feb 5 - 04:41 PM

D F.

D F

OMG!!!!
The fact that the Jerk isn't at the top of this list(followed immediately by Dirty Rotten Scoudrels and LA story) IS A TRAVESTY. PT&R is a great movie but ROXANNE? Really? IMO as far as comedy is concerned, it doesn't get better than the Jerk. I consider it one of the best comedies of all time, and if you don't agree, then you don't have a sense of humor, and trust me, your friends find you DREADFUL at parties and social gatherings.

Feb 5 - 04:57 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

. . . you mean all these years my friends have been lying to me?

sigh

Feb 5 - 05:31 PM

inactive user

Jared King

LOL

Feb 5 - 07:32 PM

inactive user

Jared King

LOL

Feb 5 - 07:32 PM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

Jerk is the top. It ranks up there with Holy Grail.

Feb 5 - 07:45 PM

Vincent Rolandelli

Vincent Rolandelli

Planes,trains,and automobiles for sure is #1.

Feb 5 - 08:40 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

No way I would have put L.A. Story as his second best. It was fine but the problem with the Tomatometer is that it only tells you what is the least objectionable, not the best. A lot of critics may give a movie a pass, but I'd rather know what their average rating was. L.A. Story had a higher Tomatometer rating, but a lower average critic rating.

Amazingly, he did five of his top movies after one another (Little Shop Of Horrors, Roxanne, Planes, Trains..., Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Parenthood). That's a very good run. Too bad it's been so spotty since. And I agree Bowfinger should have been up there.

Feb 5 - 09:18 PM

ripum853

William Pichkan

I'm so happy that P,T,& A is at number one, couldn't agree more, apart from that, my list would be:

2)Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
3)The Man With Two Brains
4)The Jerk
5)L.A. Story

I'm one that doesn't really consider Little Shop of Horrors as a Steve Martin movie neither, otherwise I'd have that at number 5. And even though I think that Steve Martin is great in the film, I consider Bill Murray as the one that steals the whole thing.

But man, I'm really in the mood to watch a few of these films now...except Planes, Trains, and Automobiles; I save that for Thanksgiving of course.

Feb 5 - 09:28 PM

Better Days

Gregory Adamo

Absolutely! Bowfinger is a very underrated film. Eddie Murphy was also GREAT in it.

Feb 6 - 05:03 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast