Weekly Ketchup: Tim Burton to Film Pinocchio Adaptation Minus Johnny Depp?

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes news of a new live action Pinocchio, adaptations of the musicals Jersey Boys and Into the Woods, and new movies for George Clooney, Robert Downey Jr, James Franco and Kate Winslet. Back to Article

Comments

Joshua

Joshua "LF" Mitchell

Looks like Depp finally has some competition.

Jan 13 - 04:04 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Nothing sems to be interesting here until the final product has been properly screened and criticized!

Jan 13 - 04:23 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

My friend just met a cutest girl on -- casualloving. c'0m--. It's where for men and women looking for intimate encounters.
It's a nice place for people who wanna start a short-term relationship....
no bounds or extremes in front of true love.

Jan 15 - 07:44 PM

Chris Berg

Chris Berg

Is it wrong that I think Catagory Six (at least based on premise/style alone) sounds like an interesting movie?
While most people are growing sick of the found footage style, I'm still hopeful that more great films in the style will pop up. And one that doesn't deal with supernatural or sci-fi aspects certainly sounds interesting. Also, teenage amature stormchasers just sounds like a ticket to some bat-shit-stupid, but entertaining as hell filmmaking.

Jan 13 - 04:26 PM

Brandon Carlson

Brandon Carlson

Actually Category 6 does sound interesting. But I also enjoy disaster movies. I loved 2012, Day After Tomorrow, Volcano, etc... I always have liked them.

Jan 13 - 06:56 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

Great + found footage? Quite the oxymoron.

Jan 14 - 06:16 AM

iakobos

J Taylor

The new Riddick movie may still score rotten but I liked the first two and am looking forward to the next one. However, that link to the story about Katee Sackhoff doesn't do her beauty justice. This one does. http://screenrant.com/riddick-3-cast-katee-sackhoff-jordi-molla-rob-146605/

Jan 13 - 04:40 PM

Colyn Bowman

Colyn Bowman

Riddick is the best bro! I love them both but "Pitch Black" is literally one of the best sci-fi action movies you can watch.

Jan 16 - 08:29 PM

Cinema-Maniac

Caesar Mendez

Oh gosh, what ever happened to the good old days of horror movies where we actually got scared watching Alfred Hitchcock horror movies and movies like The Shinning. Nowadays it's this found footage garbage, it's really disappointing to see the genre going in this direction. I honestly think that horror movies today can't even match what they use to be, what a disappointment to read two more of these found footage films are being made by the team that made The Devil Inside which i'm told they stole from one of the seven circle of hell.

Jan 13 - 04:41 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The Devil Inside scared me!///(Alfred Hitchcock movies aren't scary--at least not to me.) I think young people today demand way too much . . .The Scariest movies for me were Burnt Offerings, The Exorcist, Phantasm, Lucio Fulci's THE BEYOND, Don't Go to Sleep--TV movie, Salem's Lot--1979 TV Miniseries . . . and The Changeling with George C Scott. The scariest Novel is F. Paul Wilson's THE KEEP by far.

Jan 13 - 05:37 PM

Andrew I.

Andrew Imrie

Read "The Shining". The only book I have ever read that has truly frightened me.

Jan 14 - 11:42 AM

Colyn Bowman

Colyn Bowman

Dude amen! I was reading the scene in the book where Danny goes into the bathroom, and immediately after I finished reading that part of the book I went to bed. I was scared to death lol.

Jan 16 - 08:28 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

"It" was also like that for me.

Jan 17 - 08:39 AM

Jean-Paul Savoie

Jean-Paul Savoie

I feel the same way - artful horror was awesome, as was sly satiric-social-commentary horror. A bare minimum requirement for me is LIKABLE DEVELOPED characters - which is also severely lacking in the majority of recent English-language Horror.

Jan 14 - 04:19 PM

Steven S.

Steven Scott

I hope Robert Downey Jr. takes the part.

Jan 13 - 05:11 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jan 13 - 05:37 PM

Andrew I.

Andrew Imrie

Jan 14 - 11:42 AM

Colyn Bowman

Colyn Bowman

Jan 16 - 08:28 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

"It" was also like that for me.

Jan 17 - 08:39 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

BURTON must be stopped!

I HATE Frankie Valli (Walk Like a Man . . . HORRIBLE)
---
for my man who resents being black.

Advance word says RED TAILS sucks; when the "Other Man" makes "black movies," the "black movies" always suck.

I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD, I am not going to let some White People make me ashamed of who I am like the guy I hung out with over the weekend.
SAY IT LOUD!
(RED TAILS by George Lucas sucks! according to advance word)

Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!

Some people say we've got a lot of malice
Some say it's a lot of nerve
But I say we won't quit moving until we get what we deserve
We have been bucked and we have been scorned
We have been treated bad, talked about as just bones
But just as it takes two eyes to make a pair, ha
Brother we can't quit until we get our share

Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!
One more time!
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!

I worked on jobs with my feet and my hand
But all the work I did was for the other man
Now we demand a chance to do things for ourselves
We're tired of beatin' our head against the wall
And workin' for someone else

Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud

We're people, we're just like the birds and the bees
We'd rather die on our feet
Than be livin' on our knees

Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud

Jan 13 - 05:50 PM

Janson Jinnistan

But Gordon - re: "Joyous Noise" - you NEED white people to make your music better ;) You think black people made Gospel great by 'themselves'? Are you getting brainwashed by "Rejoice and Sing" and Belafonte's "Sing Your Song"? "We" elected Obama. Isn't that worth a mule?

(Seriously though, be careful with some of these white people out there. They're CRAZY! GOD COMPLEX!!! They always think you owe them 'thanks'! You know that, I know that, play cool. It's not your fault, it's "bla" people's fault. Santorum don't dry!)

Jan 13 - 06:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Rejoice and Shout"! I want to get that name right so more people consider that an option over the offal of "Joyous Noise".

Jan 13 - 08:16 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

And the blind black white supremacist goes: WHITE POWER!!

Jan 13 - 07:43 PM

"Boogie Boogie"

Jan 14 - 01:32 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Then when he finds out who he is he divorces his wife because shes a... oh I wont say it. Miss you Chapelle.

Jan 15 - 02:48 PM

Ken

Kenneth W.

Damn these forums would be boring without Gordon.

Jan 13 - 08:30 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Personally, I could do without him.

Jan 16 - 08:04 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Burton has fallen from any serious film watcher's graces like a meteorite. You know when he hooks up with Disney you're going to get a stale can of tuna, hand made to entertain the retarded masses. 'Alice' was a waste of money.

Jan 15 - 04:01 PM

Janson Jinnistan

If Burton is getting nostalgic, may I suggest casting Christopher Walken and Paul Reubens as the Fox and the Cat? (or Honest John and Gideon for the Disney folks) And Depp would make a great Stromboli (or a cricket for that matter). Is Burton still doing a animated "Addams Family"?

Patrick Wilson is the perfect Tommy Smothers. Dick is a little harder (ahem), but Demetri Martin seems obvious, but hasn't really shown the chops. "Saving Private Rembrandt" seems promising too. (If we're going to quibble over "Good German" not being a real WWII movie, then it seems absurd to argue that Clooney's 15 seconds in "Red Line" qualifies either.)

Is "Pickup Artist" the show with the douchebag Quasi-Jamiroquai? If so, Franco should just cut out the middle man and go straight for the Jay Kay bioflick. L.A. lust-schmucks? Michael Douglas may make the 'moves' look easy, but that's why he's a rare Cerdotado. This just looks like Entourage without the show-biz.

I saw a couple "Party Down"s, but I hope the film makes room for Jimmi Simpson, who played a great Maryln Manson type star the crew was catering for. That was a very funny episode.

I liked both "Pitch Black" and "Riddick", even though the Vin is quite short on charisma. Both were stylish and had great art direction. Between Diesel and The Rock, we should be glad whenever they chose grown-man films for a change.

Add "Devil Inside"'s 6% with his previous "Stay Alive's 9% and Bill Bell might even have a dozen positive reviews between them. It helps to have friends like McG. Let Bell and his writing partner take as much advantage as they can. Cheap Satanic Panic works for only so long. The soil is sour, the brush is rotten. Damn their Exploitative Eyes! (Since they freed the West Memphis Three this year, how hard would it be to get these guys in the slammer?)

Jan 13 - 05:56 PM

Jan 13 - 06:07 PM

Jan 13 - 08:16 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Here's what I feel about the top story:

BAD TIM BURTON! BAD! You dare screw up one of my favorite childhood stories! I was looking forward to the Guilermo Del Toro adaptation. Hope that one gets made. Plus, Burton hasn't done anything original since Edward Scissorhands!

Hansel and Gretel sounds interesting. I'm getting kind of sick of these dark re-imagining of fairytales (i.e. Red Riding Hood, Jack the Giant Killer) but this one sounds one of the better one. It'll probably get bad reviews though. Gemma Arterton is gorgeous, especially in Quantum of Solace, and I think I would watch anything with her. Also, she's a pretty decent actress.

Jan 13 - 06:39 PM

David Hurlburt

David Hurlburt

Well to be fair almost all fairytales were original very dark. The original Hansel and Gretel story is pretty dark. Even Little Red Riding Hood was disturbing. And don't get me started on Pinocchio.

Jan 13 - 08:36 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

You have a point, David. But Hollywood is just making them darker with these pointless re-imaginings. Red Riding Hood could have worked but it failed. Hansel and Gretel could be done well but let's not keep our hopes up. I'm guessing Tim Burton's Pinocchio will be more weird than dark like his crappy Alice in Wonderland flick.

Jan 13 - 09:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

The comparison that should be made is with "The Company of Wolves" which handled a dark retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" in an intelligent, artistic way that explored the psychological aspect of the archetypes behind the fairy tale. If a filmmaker wants to go this route, it would be far more interesting than simply attempting a sub-Burton gothic piece of pulp like "Red Riding Hood".

Jan 14 - 01:38 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Right, because original stories are THAT EASY to come up with.

Jan 14 - 11:03 AM

Janson Jinnistan

All the more reason why creative people should be more valued and exhalted in this business.

Jan 14 - 01:48 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Funny thing is, every time something original does pop up, people accuse it of being a ripoff of something else (Star Wars, Inception, Avatar, The Matrix, Terminator, etc) I mean, since no matter what you make people are going to find some connection it bears with a previous story or film you might as well just call it an adaptation and avoid all these rip off accusations.

Jan 14 - 02:05 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Well, nothing new under the sun, you know. A lot of that is just hate. I remember during the first Tarantino backlash, people were calling out his 'homage' references to "City on Fire", "Badlands", "The Killing", "An American Boy", "Taking of Pelham One Two Three" and others. There was even talk about him ripping off an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode (which I still think is an strange beef). But Tarantino has a kind of originality that transcends all of these sources. He has that QT style of storytelling that, however much people have tried, remains inimitable. Originality is personal.

Jan 14 - 11:11 PM

celluloid

Bob Good

Even Stanley Kubrick only made adaptations after his first two films (which are both easily his weakest, I hasten to add)

Jan 16 - 09:51 PM

Janson Jinnistan

But notice how Kubrick never did very faithful adaptations, always, and sometimes to the consternation of the original writers, filtering the material through his original prism. But it isn't really about 'original stories' in Hollywood that's the problem. It's the matter of 'brand' name recognition. Studios do so many remakes, not because they can find talented people capable of doing something new and original (and sometimes succeed), but because they want a project with a built-in marketing campaign in place. They won't have to work as hard informing people about characters and situations most people are already familiar with. Besides being an appeasement and reinforcement to audiences' already established habits of cultural and intellectual laziness (especially in America) and suggesting people are too thick and disinterested to be capable of being inspired by NEW characters and situations, the studios also make sure to maintain that the creative elements hired for these projects are the most servile and submissive to the overall corporate value system of $$$ over Life and enticing the consumer into self-applauding their duty to consume. What's missing is that true 'hallmark' of Art: transcendent and articulate significance - inspiration. Don't confuse what's happening in Hollywood today to what the mother of necessity can inspire between an artist and egg yolk.

Jan 17 - 02:44 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Guillermo Del Toro's Pinnochio (if it actually happens) is going to be a stop-motion animated film done with the crew of Jim Henson studios. The Burton film is going to produced at Warner Brothers as a live-action feature. Really, If Del Toro and the Jim Henson company are serious about a Pinnochio film, this shouldn't hinder it at all.

About your statement of Tim Burton not doing anything original. What bearings does that have about him as a director? Steven Spielberg has released two films this year (War Horse and The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn), and Steven Spielberg never gets slammed by people for only doing adaptations and being unoriginal. Christopher Nolan is now coming out with his THIRD ADAPTATION of a comic book that had been adapted into television shows, videogames, and even four other theatrically released films, yet he is never slammed for his lack of originality. His next project is to produce the new Superman movie, with Zack Snyder (another guy whose filmography is composed of adaptations and remakes, and never gets slammed for being unoriginal) directing the project. So, the idea of Burton doing adaptations meaning that his ability as a director is lacking, is a ridiculous idea. A directors talent as a direct should be determined by the ability to direct, and not the story or source material. This project is being offered to Tim Burton. Burton didn't come up with it. Burton didn't get it started. This is something Warner Brothers wants to be done, and Warner Brothers has asked Burton to do it. Its not Burton's idea, so if you want to yell at people for a Warner Brothers produced Pinnochio film, yell at them, because its their idea.

Jan 15 - 11:51 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Well said.

Jan 17 - 03:18 PM

Brandon Carlson

Brandon Carlson

Jan 13 - 06:56 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

And the blind black white supremacist goes: WHITE POWER!!

Jan 13 - 07:43 PM

"Boogie Boogie"

Jan 14 - 01:32 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 15 - 02:48 PM

Jan 13 - 08:16 PM

Ken

Kenneth W.

Damn these forums would be boring without Gordon.

Jan 13 - 08:30 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Personally, I could do without him.

Jan 16 - 08:04 PM

Jan 14 - 01:38 PM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

Depp and Bonham Carter are both not in Frankenweenie

Jan 13 - 10:09 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies