Five Favourite Films with Bill Nighy

The Boat That Rocked star on his most prized movies.

Bill Nighy

There can be few actors better suited to starring in a film about the golden age of British rock and roll than Bill Nighy. No wonder, then, that he's front and centre as part of the ensemble cast of Richard Curtis' latest comedy, The Boat that Rocked. In it he's the proprietor of the titular boat -- a pirate radio station fictionalised from the many that escaped capture during the 60s by broadcasting from the sea.

It's the latest in a long line of highly varied roles from one of Britain's most beloved acting talents. He became a household name in 2003 when, alongside a starring role in the TV series State of Play, he was cast in vampire romp Underworld and as ageing rock star Billy Mack in Love, Actually. He's rarely stopped since then with roles in the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels (if you didn't catch him, he's buried behind CGI and with a thick Scottish accent as Davy Jones), Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Shaun of the Dead and Valkyrie.

RT catches up with Nighy the day after the world premiere of The Boat that Rocked and he's remembering a late night that involved hanging out with one of his heroes, Paul McCartney. His passion for music is evident is pretty-much any interview he gives, and as he chooses his five favourite films it's incredibly obvious that a killer soundtrack has a big impact...

Comments

justjohn

John s

Great list by a great actor.

Apr 2 - 11:05 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

cool...

Apr 2 - 11:05 AM

MizzleBrizzle

Mike Bragg

Wouldn't have expected to see Punch Drunk Love on one of these lists. Awesome.

Apr 2 - 11:07 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

In the latest Underworld-3, he looked a hell of a lot like Peter Cushing, who was also a star of Vampire films.

I think Bill Nighy would make a great, younger version of Grand Moff Tarkin, in the upcoming STAR WARS live action tv show. He is a damn fine actor to boot, so i think he could really pull of such a role.

Apr 2 - 11:44 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Younger version? What, like five years younger?

Apr 3 - 04:48 PM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Ooh, or maybe he could play Peter Cushing in a biagraphy film? Someone should write a script with this in mind.

Apr 2 - 11:45 AM

ihatecarneys

Matt Lubisich

Nighy rocks. Whenever i think of him i think of the line from Love, Actually, "kids, don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give them to you for free."

Apr 2 - 01:24 PM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

I'll get on that script bat-fink, thanks

Apr 2 - 01:56 PM

vitajex

Mike M

I have to say I couldn't stand him in Pirates. It wasn't his fault, is was they way they made him talk. It was like listening to a little kids talk while eating 'pasghetti'.

Apr 2 - 02:02 PM

cypress550

jeremy burnside

a nice list from a great actor

Apr 2 - 02:11 PM

FinalDestination019

Olivia Prongrer

Since when was Audrey Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby?!?

Sorry. Just a big fan of that movie, and I can't stand it when people get Audrey and Katharine confused. They're not even related!

Apr 2 - 02:23 PM

inactive user

Jared King

You all know how I feel about "Bringing Up Baby". (I don't like it.) But this list is anything but generic. "Bowfinger" is a pretty funny movie. and "Missippi Burning" is great.

Apr 2 - 03:23 PM

royrogers

Roy Rogers Oldenkamp

How can anyone not like Bringing Up Baby? One of the wittiest and snappiest farces ever set to film, with two actors at their height. Watch it again. Then again, if you simply cannot stand to listen to Kate utter a single line with that impossibly eccentric, exaggerated accent, well, I understand.

Apr 2 - 04:17 PM

inactive user

Jared King

What if I told you it was bad because of Katherine Hepburn...(wait for it)...the most overated actress who ever lived. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?

Apr 2 - 05:18 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Ledawg, if I recall right you are in your mid-20s, or maybe younger? If so, then you can be excused for not understanding what constitutes talent and good acting. How many movies have you actually seen with Katherine Hepburn? Have you seen The African Queen? The Philadelphia Story? The Lion in Winter? (Arguably her best role) Long Day's Journey Into Night? Adam's Rib? She is outstanding in every one of them, so you might want to look a little closer before you speak.

Now, if you don't like her acting, or her style, or the roles she's in, that's a different matter and comes down to personal preference. I'm certainly not going to try and persuade you to like her. But to call her overrated is just asinine.

And to Steve S. I won't even comment on your inane statment.

Apr 6 - 05:03 PM

John A.

John Arminio

Hey look, well thought out and original choices. Nice.

Apr 2 - 04:21 PM

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

Very original list! Finally someone put something besides the Godfather!

Apr 2 - 04:39 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Apr 2 - 05:18 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

And to Steve S. I won't even comment on your inane statment.

Apr 6 - 05:03 PM

steve s.

steve smith

yes.....exactly....katherine hepburn is almost as useless as julia roberts.

waaaaaay overated......todays actresses could do any hepburn role better than she did.

Apr 2 - 07:05 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

He's a great actor, though I hated the Underworld movies. He's the best part of them, and it seems no matter how bad a movie is, he makes it way better by just being there. Very cool guy from what I've seen of him.

Apr 2 - 09:43 PM

murray m.

murray mclachlan

pity willem defoe doesnt do more creditable movies
like mississippi anymore.

Apr 2 - 09:47 PM

Turd S.

Turd Sandwich

punch drunk love=awesome

Apr 2 - 10:50 PM

'Stache-Attack

Nick Esser

Love Bill Nighy.

Not sure where this crazy tangent is coming from, but do you know who Favorite 5 I want to read?? Gary Busey. Now that would be press-worthy. Meeting him face to face would be the scariest thing in my life. I would literally want to turn and run away from him, but I'd also be afraid that he'd think it was some kind of game and start chasing me. CREEPY!

Now that I've got that out my system, as you were.

Apr 3 - 07:30 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday