Five Favourite Films with Richard Curtis

The director and Comic Relief mastermind shares his picks.

Richard Curtis

Knocked Up

Knocked Up

"I don't know why because I'm almost never in Los Angeles, but I went to the premiere of Knocked Up. Some cousin of Judd Apatow's was going to propose to his girlfriend, but was shy, so what Judd did was brought up the cousin and his girlfriend onto stage and Jack Black hid behind, knelt on the floor behind the cousin, and very noisily proposed to her. So the first time I saw the film I was in a very good mood having had such a brilliant start. But Knocked Up, like The Hangover which is also wonderful, is full of really really funny things; particularly the friends. When that group of friends is together, everyone has a sort of weird idiosyncratic joke which is perfectly expressed every time they appear, from the guy with the beard downwards.

There are so many other funny things -- when Kristen Wiig is rude to Katherine Heigl when she gets her job, and she's going on about how lucky she is to get the job, it's completely hilarious. Both Seth Rogen and Katherine are so charming and funny, and it's so modern, on the edge and hard; a real romantic film. I think that if romantic comedies are meant to be romantic and funny, then that's a perfect example. It's very relaxed and at ease with itself, and doesn't try too hard, or doesn't seem to be trying very hard, and I think that's very much to do with how Judd makes his movies. I'm sure he knows exactly what he wants, but it does have a slightly improvisational edge to it, because he does work with people that he knows very well, so there's a naturalness to it, and I think it's a great modern film. I haven't seen Funny People yet, but I have very high hopes for it, I'm looking forward to it a great deal. "

Click on a thumbnail below.
Let the Right One In
Let the Right...
Lost in Translation
Lost in Translation
Knocked Up
Knocked Up
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Eternal Sunshine...
Animal House
Animal House

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I absolutely adore Love Actually as well as Black Adder and The Vicar of Dibley, but aside from Animal House not sure I can support his other choices. They're not bad movie's mind, but don't think they would have come close to making my top 5 list. Good to see new choices though.

Sep 7 - 11:27 AM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

I support Let the Right One In and Animal House, but I always felt Knocked Up, Lost and Translation, and Eternal Sunshine were good not great. They are just really trendy films, as far as Charlie Kaufman goes, Adaptation is easily his best work, Juno is better than Knocked Up, and I really don't think Broken Flowers get enough credit, that movie is heartbreaking and gut wrenchingly funny at the same time.

Sep 7 - 11:42 AM

Marjeez

Mar Jeez

I love Let the Right One In and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This is a great Top 5.

Sep 7 - 12:13 PM

headmonkeys

Gordon Richards

Whether or not you agree with his choices (and I do somewhat), he's got a far better system for choosing films than almost anyone else I've ever seen in this column.

Sep 7 - 01:37 PM

He's a Cockapoopoo

Michael Harto

Juno is the trendiest movie ever made

Sep 7 - 02:02 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

Juno might be trendy but that's besides the point - it is still a better movie than Knocked Up.

And Eternal Sunshine aint got **** on Adaptation. I was actually kinda disappointed by ES, but Adaptation hit me like a bag of bricks, although that movie isn't as trendy, but it is much deeper and honest.

Sep 7 - 04:00 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The opening scene of Lost in Translation is the girl's butt facing the camera--at least its only a 1:85.1 butt and not a 2:35.1 butt: what Sofia Coppola seems to be saying to me is look at or kiss my ''s.

The behind the scenes DVD extras makes Sofia Coppola look acutely pensive; Soffia Coppola's husband is filming the behind the scenes footage and the two divorced within a year of Lost in Translation's release.

Sofia Coppola has such a huge smile and huge buck-teeth in "The Outsiders - The Complete Novel" yet adulthood (by Lost in Translation) took its toll.

I'm putting "Let the Right" on my list
ANIMAL HOUSE . . . BELUSHI . . . FOODFIGHT!!!!!! "Guess what I am?"
"A ZIT!!!!!!!!!!"

Universal Studios:
Lon Chaney, Sr;
Lon Chaney, Jr.;
Boris Karloff;
Bela Lugosi;
Abbott & Costello;
John Belushi.
UNIVERSAL HAD THEM ALL!!!!!!!
(almost)
----

Sep 7 - 02:25 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I like Curtis, I loved Love Actually and am really looking foreward to his new one. Animal House really did nothing for me, I've always thought it was way overrated. I love Eternal Sunshine and Knocked Up thouroughly amuses me.

Sep 7 - 02:30 PM

inactive user

Jared King

He looks like a combo of Jack Thompson and Bill Clinton, except cool...anyway, awesome list. Swedish vampires and Belushi? Original.

Sep 7 - 02:57 PM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

Eternal was a flick that I'll never forget. Knocked up, I will. Who is this dude again? He looks like Ted Koppel and Dana Carvey's grandfather had a kid.

Sep 7 - 03:07 PM

planetawesome

Seth Green

Seriously? I loathed 'Love, Actually' with a passion. It's the total opposite of "show, don't tell". I felt like I was being forced at gunpoint to read the most treacly, superficial Hallmark card while someone (Curtis, I guess) screamed in my ear, "If you don't like this it's just because you're cynical and don't like love!" No, it's because the movie is total crap... actually, and doesn't trust its audience to think for themselves. Yes, I feel strongly about this.

Sep 7 - 03:21 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

Sep 7 - 04:00 PM

WallEField

Matt Welch

One of the few "Five Favourites" to have any merit to it in a while. Other than Animal House and Knocked Up this list showcases the best of the best. And lawl at the idiot who said Eternal Sunshine was good not great. Only people without brains don't see the greatness in that film.

Sep 7 - 04:29 PM

WallEField

Matt Welch

Sep 7 - 04:30 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Why is that person dumb? Because he can see flaws in it?

Sep 7 - 04:50 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yeah bud, it's called an opinion and you're not the only one who has one and despite what you're mom told you yours isn't special. I might have liked Sunshine better, but I watched it as part of a Kate Winslet marathon right after Finding Neverland. I preferred Finding Neverland.

Sep 7 - 05:11 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Why is that person dumb? Because he can see flaws in it?

Sep 7 - 04:50 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sep 7 - 05:11 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is one of the most poignant love stories in all of cinema. One of the most fantastic lists in quite awhile. I respect curtis' work. Love Actually is a movie I should hate. Its overly saccharine and far too sentimental. But for some reason just the sheer exuberance and lack of pretension in the film somehow breaks through my deep cynicism and I find I can't help but love it. Admitting I like it will probably lose my some street cred but I'll be damned if I won't admit when a movie accomplishes the goals it sets out to do and entertains at the same time.

Sep 7 - 05:59 PM

JohnnyJonJon

Jonathan Groen

Good list.

FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!

Sep 7 - 07:47 PM

Johnny A

Johnny A

Very good list. Let the Right One In is hands down the best of the bunch. So many details and character nuances, the film needs more than a few viewing to fully absorb and understand everything. The pool scene was not hard to understand, though my father and I debated about it; as well as other points of the film.
Lost in Translation is great. Scarlett is incredibly sensuous and endearing without forcing it. Bill is funny, no doubt about that. The emotions conveyed without saying is something I appreciated. When Scarlett and Bill were having fun together and being happy and having a blast about town, very few words were spoken. Their desperate need for each other was palpable, but they kept each other at a respectable arm's distance. The fact that in the end, they didn't ride off into the sunset together spoke volumes despite the fact that I couldn't help but want them to toss caution to the wind and ride their hearts happily ever after.
Eternal Sunshine. Geez. One phrase captures it all: What if?
What if I hadn't done this? What if she came home 5 minutes earlier? Later? What if we'd never met?
Cap that all with the ever formidible, Fate, and you have a movie that's poignant and funny as hell. And oh yeah, Kate Winslet is incredibly sexy and gorgeous.
Knocked up. Funny movie. Seth is king. But Heigl has her flaws, though she has a mighty fine rack. I guess I could never forgive her for not killing Chucky and his "wife" when she had the chance.
Animal House. Though funny in moments, I've laughed more at horror movies not meant to be funny. The toga scene is okay. Dunno. Just not in love with the movie.
Cheers,
JA

Sep 7 - 08:54 PM

John Mclane

Graham Robertson

eeeewww british rom-coms

Sep 8 - 01:55 AM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

i would put Lost in Translation as one of the best film this decade. and the fact that Bill Murray got robbed makes it more memorable. i mean, yeah, Sean Penn is a way better actor than Murray, and Penn dos deserve some Oscars, but he won for the wrong film. A great performance in Mystic River, just not as great as Murray in Lost In Translation.

Sep 8 - 03:38 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday