—— Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Reviews

garyX
garyX

December 26, 2006
The third instalment of the saga of Captain Jack Sparrow sees him rescued from Davy Jones' Locker to help defeat Clark and The Flying Dutchman. World's End makes a lot of mistakes the previous film made; it concentrates far too much on spectacle and special effects rather than characterisation, the film again resembling a very elaborate cartoon in places. The amusing eccentricities brought to Jack's character by Johnny felt a lot more forced and there are too many characters vying for screen time. This results in Chow Yun Fat being completely wasted and Norrington's character development, which was the best thing about Dead Man's Chest, is completely ignored. But one mistake it does not make is in the pacing; although it is rather longer, it never drags or bores. There's a lot of fun to be had in the one-upmanship between Jack and Barbossa and the witty dialogue from the first film makes a welcome return. Again, like The Matrix and Bourne films, it makes the second film seem rather irrelevant, but as a whole it's an exciting and entertaining romp that won't disappoint Jack's fans.
Sam B

April 17, 2011
At Worlds End has a satisfying and unpredictable ending, in addition to plenty of action and spectacle, but it also sports one of the most needlessly complicated plots I can recall, as well as several slow scenes that break up the movie's momentum at unfortunate moments.
Phil H

August 8, 2007
Well shiver my timbers...this here be damn complicated!. The third and final part of the pirates trilogy (or so we thought). I've never until now have not understood the plot of a Disney film. Yep its long long long, overdrawn, CGI filled complicated mess with so many sub plots and double crosses I forgot what the film was about. This film is also, apparently, the most expensive film ever made ever! how fitting that its the worst in the trilogy.

In short you have to know the back story for the last two films relatively well to keep up. The plot is even more convoluted than the second film and unfortunately it no longer has the wow factor, originality or nice fantasy element either. To be honest whilst watching I got a distinct sensation that I was watching deleted scenes merely pieced together to create another film. The film really does have that slightly disjointed vibe about it.

I think one of the things that got me was the fact the characters just didn't matter anymore. In the second film 'Davy Jones' was the terror of the seas with his firesome appearance, monstrous crew and pet Kraken (unadventurous end for that beastie), now in this film he is reduced to lingering in the background whilst people talk. A great character reduced to an extra virtually. 'Barbossa' of course was the terror of the first film and he has now been slowly reduced to 'Sparrow's' sidekick of sorts, then we have new character 'Sao Feng' who really doesn't matter. He looks good and its a nice touch to see the Orient in the film but the whole setup is wasted!. Again merely background fodder whilst we must watch Depp do his now overdone thing and the quite uninteresting love conflict between 'Turner' and 'Swann'.

I might add that Knightly has been completely covered in makeup for this last entry, absolutely smothered on her face. She looks like an orange with thick eyebrows! its pretty bad and pretty obvious if you ask me, looks unintentionally amusing.

Yet the sequences showing Sparrow's descent into madness whilst in Davy Jones locker I quite liked even though many didn't. I actually thought those scenes were quite original and well thought out giving us something fresh which is quite hard really, especially with the content you're trying to visualise here. The little moments of quirky insanity with Sparrow felt a bit Raimi-esque if you ask me, reminded me of 'Army of Darkness' and 'Ash' going nuts whilst splitting in two. A bit of a stump in the films fluidity sure but it showed some ingenuity, giving some more uniqueness in-between the other bland action bits.

Of course this being a modern day sequel the films gotta be BIG, REAL BIG!, you want overblown CGI enhanced action set pieces then voila!. I can't deny it all looks terrific and perfectly piratey but blimey gov! how overboard must they go...no pun intended. The perfect example? how about Turner and Swann in a blazing cutlass battle with hordes of bad guys in the midst of a booming sea storm. During this pitch battle to the death they shout out to Barbossa to marry them...he too is in the midst of a fight to the death.

So that he does, we have n utterly ludicrous action sequence with all three exterminating every bad guy with ease whilst they get married. Now I realise this film is purely for fun and all ages, to a degree, but come on, did we have to go there? its sequences like this that totally remove you from the film. Sure you gotta have some suspension of disbelief and that's why its OK to have some slightly fantastical elements but at least give us some small note of emotion, a small drop of actual realistic danger for the characters. No point loading up a brand new video game only to slap on the invincibility cheat and play through.

It takes us awhile but when we do eventually get to the pirate convention in Shipwreck Cove the film does perk up a bit momentarily. The introduction of the pirate city council as it were...was a nice touch, some great looking characters there. I liked how they show us pirates from various different countries, different backgrounds and cultures, they are all well crafted if a little bit cliched too just for fun. But all this leads me to another problem, why couldn't we see more of these guys and less of the rest? the finale sea battle builds up as if we will see every pirate and his crew fight...what happened there?!. We see Sparrow's Pearl go up against the Dutchman but what about the masses of other ships? all the other pirate ships? I thought they wanted to fight, instead they all watch?. I think Verbinski finally realised it was all getting out of hand and too big, I'll just conveniently let the other vessels disappear for the last bit.

In all honesty I had to do some internet/wiki research after watching this film to actually understand what happened here and there, get to grips with the plot. The whole 'Calypso' thing had me floundered for some time I can't deny, had to pinpoint exactly what the hell was going on with that. The piratey dialog while sounding cool, didn't help with trying to follow various sub plots.

There are lots of nice fun little touches throughout the film which remind you what the film was previously...before it became too big. We all know the film is just too flippin busy, too much going on, I think they could of left a lot out or at least leave some characters out, have them tied up and done in the second film or early on. The whole franchise is terribly bloated when it didn't have to be. Its still a solid set of films with a good story, but the first film is the only one which is looked upon favourably, shame really as these last two films could/should so easily have been classics too.
Lucas M

January 28, 2012
Just Awful
Eugene B

May 13, 2013
This third installment is just as long, fixes some of the damages but adds along new ones. At Worlds End improves on its CGI magic but still possesses that dragging story that is just too long and confusing. 4/5
Louis R

November 11, 2012
Self indulgent and often misjudged, but still fun.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 2, 2011
This movie makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and is quite easily the worst out of every single Pirates movie in the terribly repetitive franchise. Pirates 3 is what I explained in my review for dead mans chest but much worse. You guessed it! It's even longer than before! with even more so good it makes it look bad CGI, more plotline predictability and no attempt to be anything more than cashing on on the previous pirates films that were so obviously not good in the first place. For more information visit Youtube and type in "Mark Kermode Pirates of the Carribean 3" to further understand why this movie was absolute boat sinking drivel.
3niR
3niR

June 1, 2010
Loved the boat rocking and the ending. Not as great as the first one but not disappointing as well.
Christopher H

June 13, 2011
The ending of Pirates 2 left many plot threads open, all of them are resolved in the third film in the most contrived and unsatisfying way possible. The plot of the film is polluted with too many characters, convoluted plot threads, and too much double-crossing. The characters are even more unlikable than the last film. There is so much double crossing that it becomes impossible to care for what is going on. I wonder if Chow Yun-fat was hired solely for his star power because his character does absolutely nothing. What is his name doing on the poster then, Chow Yun-fats role in the film is nothing but a glorified cameo. Despite good visuals, Pirates 3 is impossible to follow and offers an overall disappointing conclusion to the Pirates trilogy.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

May 15, 2011
I love the series, heck I love this movie, but it was really weird and had a lot of problems for me. The acting was the same as usual, just average except for Johnny Depp who was over the top as usual in this role. The plot was a catastrophe, it was so weird and pointless but on the other hand all the plots in the series were. The effects were great, the score was great, and the action was great. But with such a weird and stupid plot, I give this a 2.5, but it still is a good movie too me.
Everett J

May 29, 2011
By far, the worst of the first 3 "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. The effects and action are great, but the story is all over the place. So much going on, it is hard to keep things straight. You would think a movie that is 2 and a half hours long would be able to get the story out and not be confusing, but not here. Tried to be too "epic" for it's own good. Where the first one succeeded was by having one central storyline where everything met up, here there are about 5 different storylines intersecting. Jack Sparrow was a breathe of fresh air in the first movie, great in the second, and downright annoying here. The scenes with Jack going crazy and talking to himself are ridiculous and could have easily been trimmed down, or left out all together. I'm all for more Sparrow, but not Jack walking around like a chicken and laying eggs. I'm hopeful that number 4 will give this franchise new life, as this movie damn near killed it. Too much of a good thing really can be bad, and this movie proves it.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
The third instalment of the "Pirates" franchise is a complete borfest, with an average, hard-to-follow story, a cast that is getting, a few jokes, and lacking action sequences; However, I must say that the final ship battle nearing the end of the film is phenomenal! It is, hands down, the greatest sequence in any of the films. It is too bad that it had to be placed on the weakest film in the series. The comedy is now getting stale and I honestly did not care about this movie. Still, the effects are break-taking, the characters are still loveable, and I will always enjoy these fun adventures, no matter how over-long they may be. Pirates 3 is extremely average!
Drake T

May 24, 2011
A fitting finale for the franchise, it's like everything gets bigger. More magic, more fantasy, more action, more CGI, yet retaining the humor and entertainment value of the first two.

What's really impressive is the creative team behind all the concepts that hold this adventure together in it's own pocket universe. The depiction of Davy Jone's locker, the members of the pirate council, the shipwrecked city etc. Just conceptual work that really grabs you by the throat and pulls you in.
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

March 18, 2008
One of the biggest disappointments of the movies of 2007. This movie was too long to even capture what it should've. almost nothing was acomplished within the first two hours and then the last hour seemed a bit rushed. throughout the whole movie there was nothing but low-class, childish jokes and random events. it felt like Gore and everyone else who worked on this film didn't think much of what they were doing. the most annoying part of the film would have to be it's ending. it just raises more questions and confusion.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
If your looking for a franchise that got worse with age, look no further. Depp still provides a strong performance, however.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

March 14, 2011
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" is plagued with the same problems that "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" had. The overall story is just far too complex to be satisfying after one viewing. (For God sakes the DVD comes with a question and answer insert that helps explain the plot!) I did appreciate that every character had a specific purpose but there are at least 12 major players who all have their own motives- it's exhausting. Thankfully these films have an almost indestructible spirit about them that, for all their flaws, makes the films loads of fun. While there is an excessive amount of action in part three, there is (at least somewhat) of a conclusion here. Again, the art direction and special effects remain a major draw and the star power of it's cast is always enchanting. I also appreciated that each of the three had their own distinct visual style. In the end, neither part two or part three are satisfying entires in their own right, but together they work all right. Neither alone or together do they ever come close to the magic of the first film, but "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" can be a rousing bit of blockbuster entertainment.
Wildaly M

May 16, 2007
I saw it but I am still debating if this is the appropriate rating. I was too disappointed by the film that I don't think I am able to give this movie the rating it deserves yet. I think I need to see it again before I make my conclusions. Maybe if I see it again I'll understand the half the movie and MAYBE for once TRY to be on Elizabeth and Will's side. These characters.... I just don't know what to think really. I'll get back to you on this one then.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 4, 2010
If the second hadn't been so horrible, this film would have been more enjoyable.
Conner R

January 6, 2010
As a semi-conclusion to the overall story, this is really a great movie. It shows you, again, things that you've never seen and does different things with the characters. I liked seeing Jack, Will and Elizabeth all go their own ways and really play around with their relationships. The addition of all the other pirates created that epic quality that a finale needs to have, the ending battle is just way too much fun. I was extremely pleased with what they did and i've always seen this trilogy as being pretty flawless. It's just a kid's dream come to life.