50% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Reviews

Jason G.
August 20, 2014
Ruined the formula with cash and bad testing.
June 4, 2013
I really liked this movie. Will Turner, again, puts on a heck of a show, and although Mr. Sparrow is kind of random and unfunny, as most of the interesting tidbits of Jack come from him running away from island natives, and humanoid sea monsters, in a hilarious manner, but it's still a great movie with lots of action and insane special effects. It's a little bit dark and depraved at times, but I guess that was what they were getting at. It's great to watch this on movie nights, as this movie is unique to the Pirates movies as its the only one that I can watch over and over, and over and over, and over again, and have a blast every time. One of my favorite relics of an era gone by. It's no longer relevant or enjoyable to me, but past immensely enjoyable viewings have to count for something, as this movie "used to" be one of my favorite movies of the modern era! There was so much going on it was unbelievable. So much action and special effects. It didn't really have the same shocking quirkiness of the first one but then again, there was more action, sword fights, explosions, and chase scenes - enjoyable for the kid in all of us. This may be one of the best pure action movies I've ever seen, and it was sure stunning to watch back in 2006. It may not be the masterpiece the first Pirates movie was, because it's more silly and more adventuresome (like a boys adventure novel) but still was an excellent movie and so enjoyable for everyone. A top notch sequel. A huge surprise hit.
GhostyKid
August 16, 2014
It's pretty unmemorable, honestly. It's pretty much lost the spirit of the first movie and opted for a more serious tone, which alienates basically anyone who loved the first movie for what it was. It's not horrible if you're invested in the characters and want to see more of them, but it's not great by any means.
zahm637
November 15, 2013
The only thing more amazing than a great film based off of an amusement ride, is that said film spawned an even better sequel. That is exactly what "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" is. "Dead Man's Chest" delivers more of the same from "Curse of the Black Pearl", but does it even better. This time, the film is darker than its predecessor, while also being funnier. "Dead Man's Chest" delves further into the bizarre and farfetched world of pirates, adding an interesting sci-fi twist. The plot, though perhaps not quite as good as the first, is still quite engaging. But it's the action and the visuals that are the centerpieces of this film. There is some seriously fantastic action in "Dead Man's Chest", especially in its epic and exhilarating third act.

Of course, another bright light in this movie is Johnny Depp's performance. I cannot possibly say enough good things about his portrayal of the clever, witty Captain. Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are again paled in comparison to Depp. However, Bill Nighy presents an interesting take on the villain, Davy Jones.

Between the exciting action, the humorous Captain Sparrow, and the terrifying Kraken, "Dead Man's Chest" has all of the makings of a truly entertaining film. Its dark tone and sophisticated story-telling show that the franchise has matured and is moving in the right direction. An easy recommend for this swashbuckling adventure!
August 11, 2014
A sequel that has a brilliant premise, still has the laughs, and Johnny Depp continues to steal the show.
December 17, 2013
While it may not have been as great as the first one, it still promises fun action sequences and witty dialogue.
February 8, 2010
(First viewing - 7/7/2006 in theaters)
Loki S.
August 2, 2014
There's a lot of memorable swashbuckling adventure (the mill scene in particular) to continue the brand of nonsensical fun established in the first film, but the narrative is hindered by its placement as a middle installment.
DanOMovieguy
November 15, 2013
This sequel to the surprise 2003 hit may not be as good as the original, but it sure is fun. Depp is still great as the lead, and remains a strong screen presence. The new and old cast do a fine job and do not cease to impress. The biggest problem with this movie is its plot. It gets messy and hard to follow on more than one occasion. The movie also runs too long, with a prolonged opening. Once it gets going, and the first action set piece is displayed, this is a thrilling ride. The action is the only thing that was significantly upped this time around, with some truly memorable set pieces. The contrived story and some poor pacing hurt this film from being the epic sequel it could have easily been. But the final cliffhanging scene will make you eager to see the conclusion. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest gets 3/5 stars (B-).
June 7, 2007
My least favorite out of the three but I still liked it.
August 24, 2013
What I got to say about "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" is that it's a fair of a movie. The performances in this movie are not to bad. The directing by Gore Verbinski is okay. The screenplay by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio are okay but some of the scenes in the movies sometimes drags and slow down the movie for a bit or too. The score in this if good. And effects are fine. "I got to say that this one is an okay of a movie, but not my favorite one tho. It's enough to help you try to understand what really happening and what's going to be happen next."
January 7, 2010
I adore Johnny Depp and Bill Nighy. But there is simply too much unnecessary fancy karate in it.
Bethany E.
July 22, 2014
Almost as good as the first movie.
July 18, 2014
An entertaining sequel with powerful action scenes and some very good visuals. A film that will make you spend some very good moments.
dorseybrandon9
July 17, 2014
A pretty good second installment, but I felt like it was really boring at times. It has some fun fight scenes some funny scenes and some good CGI for the Kraken.
July 15, 2014
Another fun installment to the series. Just as good as the first one.
July 3, 2012
It doesn't do much to improve on the original, but Dead Man's Chest is still a mostly enjoyable ride.
February 5, 2012
A big-budget visual spectacle. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is an old-school, fun blockbuster with high production values and cheerful performances.
June 19, 2007
Exciting action scenes, engaging visuals and a wonderfully animated villain. Although the story is nonsense and the script a flabby extension of patterns from the first film instead of clever in its own right, the movie is still rousing good fun.
August 16, 2007
Unfairly panned by many critics. Dead Man's Chest's major flaw is the reuse of old jokes.