Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Reviews

July 25, 2015
Captain Jack Sparrow is back to his first movie smart, witty goofiness. He carries it through. It enhances the fantasy world, nothing spectacular though.
Ok to watch.
May 22, 2011
Katsoin uudestaan, nyt lasten kanssa ja 2D:nä. Korotin puolella tähdellä aiempaa. Kunnon seikkailu on aina kunnon seikkailu, ja Jack Sparrows tietty ihku. Vuosien takainen arvostelu päätee vieläkin:

Kunnon vauhtia ja seikkailua Disney-hengessä. Juoni oli aika tööt, vähän indianajonesmainen, mutta näyttävyyttä ja mahtipontaisuutta ei puuttunut tälläkään kertaa. Oli parempi, että Orlando Bloomin ja Keira Knightleyn romanssit oli jätetty omaan arvoonsa, ja pääosaan oli nostettu ansionsa mukaisesti Jack Sparrows. Aikaisempiin verrattuna tämä neljäs tuotos oli ehkä vauhdikkaampi ja tietysti kolmedeempi. Plussaa oli myös, että yliluonnollisia örkkejä oli vähemmän, joskaan yliluonnollisista ilmiöistä ei oltu kokonaan päästy. Ne vaan nyt tuntuivat istuvan paremmin kokonaisuuteen, ja merenneidot olivat ihania.
April 6, 2011
It's shorter and leaner than the previous sequels.
½ June 22, 2015
This movie doesn't exist for me.
June 13, 2015
I consider this film an improvement on the previous instalment. While far from the astounding quality of the first film, its reduction of the main characters to Captain Jack and Barbossa, cutting out the Will and Elizabeth plotlines, for which I never cared, was an excellent decision. I did feel that the premise of a cursed and magical Blackbeard was truly bizarre, particularly in that they picked a real person for the villain and included him in a way which expects the viewer to completely ignore their knowledge of his actual story. The secondary plot involving a young man and a mermaid was poorly spliced in, and rarely made much sense or related to the main plot. Despite its shortcomings, it was a more simple film, not as dark as the last one, and on the whole a very fun and enjoyable movie. I look forward to the next one.
June 12, 2015
Some of the characters in the movie were stupid, but the movie still was a joy to watch!
½ May 23, 2011
Better than part 2 and 3
½ June 2, 2015
Even though it hardly ties with the previous three speaking of plot and adventure, It is a decent sequel to the series. Penelope Cruz ( Angelica) is to me perfectly suitable for the role and I found the end touching and conveying important moral values.
June 1, 2015
It's strange. EH, POPPET, WHERE'S THE RUM?
May 29, 2015
Probable my lest favorite of the Pirates of the Caribbean series but i still enjoyed it none the less.
May 27, 2015
Is this real life? Did I actually enjoy a Pirates of the Caribbean movie? Shocking, but true. Even though we don't need another movie, On Stranger Tides is shorter and actually easier to understand than the last two disasters. Plus the 3D is pretty neat too. For those reasons, I'm recommending it.
May 14, 2015
Jack seemed more information giving than in any of the other Pirates movies. Did not seem up to par with the previous movies either. I really hope they do better on 5. I will not be purchasing this movie even though i am a BIG fan of the serires.
May 4, 2015
The worst in the series because it's all just a silly set piece, but there are moments of fun in it.
½ May 4, 2015
The acting returns to great quality thanks to Rob Marshall's direction and some new additions (especially that of an outstanding Penelope Cruz), its running time is now shorter and the visual style keeps on being excellent. Nonetheless, 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' is an entertaining yet disappointing entry in the series mostly due to Johnny Depp's excessiveness at times, some clichéd and undeveloped plot points and overexploitation of the saga.
April 27, 2015
I'll admit it. This movie wasn't good. Or, let me rephrase this: This movie wasn't innovative.
Two different things, really. This was just a simple pirate movie. The series went back to its roots right here. The franchise seriously needed a break after the fever dream that was "At World's End."
January 4, 2011
Not better than the previous ones but still fun.
½ May 15, 2011
One of the definitions of an unnecessary sequel. Having little to no sense of fun or adventure, poorly written story and characters, and stupidly nonsensical even for a Pirates film. While having a couple good ideas that can be seen, the film doesn't know how to execute any of them well.
½ November 15, 2013
On Stranger Tides is proof that the Pirates franchise is becoming a tired and convoluted series. Yet again, the plot is incomprehensible at times, though not as often as the last few installments. The effects stun and the action is exciting, but its bogged down by a complicated story line and the fact that this film doesn't have much right to exist. Even though the action is fun, it gets way to ridiculous at times, and almost cartoonish. Fortunetly Depp is good again and the pacing is much improved, that being a major flaw in the last two. It's too bad because most of the film's elements are tired and familiar, and the story gets very jumbled by the third act. A new cast and some good effects can't make up for the uninspired and sloppy story and outlandish action. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides gets 2.5/5 stars (C).
½ December 14, 2010
The action and humor aren't bad, but the monologues are near impossible to understand, the mermaids' appearances distract too much, the plot has too many jarring moments, and to top it off: Jack Sparrow ultimately disappoints by blowing his cunning charm for sappy flirting! All in all, a terrible sequel.