63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

The Pistol - The Birth of a Legend Reviews

Jason O

February 3, 2010
This deserves to be up there with the best of the best basketball films ever made. Very underrated. Being born in 1980, I never got to see Pistol Pete play (I've only seen a few plays of his on ESPN), but I remember my 10th grade English teacher, Mrs. Crew, having us watch this movie and all the black boys sitting around me were even amazed at how the boy, Adam Guier, could do so many things w/the ball so well at that age. If Pistol Pete had lived up to his full potential (i.e., been as good as he was in college - he still has the all-time record for most points per game average in a season - 40 something, that won't ever be beat) and played longer in the NBA than he did, it'd be him everyone knows and hears most about than Larry Bird. This movie was a pure joy to watch. Not only did I see it in the 10th grade, I watched it again last weekend.
Tim S

April 27, 2008
Terrible movie about an amazing player. The religious angle makes it creey, too.
January 24, 2012
I really wanted to see a great movie about a great legend in the sport of basketball. Unfortunately this biopic about Pistol Pete Maravich was worse than most poorly directed Hallmark or religious movie. I could go into examples, but they were endless. Kudos to the lead actor though, Adam Guier, who obviously had some great training in ball-handling skills. I was also disappointed that they only showed a year in his life and made it as if that year defined him and not his college record-holding highest average score per game of more than 40 points. Very disappointed. Don't waste your time. Wait for someone to do a better one some day.
filmaker99
October 26, 2007
the poor quality nature of the film suggests that it might have been made during the time the real pistol pete was a kid, but it was only made in 1990. it's a shame because it had potential. narrated by the Pistol himself
trasnam
September 29, 2006
A great film that I watch when I need to get motivated to accomplish something. It could have been produced better, but overall it is still a fantastic movie.
December 7, 2012
This is by far one of the best motivational movies for kids. It shows the drive that is needed to be the best. It's a must see for any parent/child relationship.
January 30, 2011
I was a Pete Maravich fan. I read a biography on Pete when I was a kid and hoped the film would at least be passable, if you will excuse the expression. Unfortunately, it was riddled with cliches and poor writing. The film only covers Pete's first year of a high school basketball (he was actually in eight grade). Characters were portrayed in stark, black and white terms, without little nuance or complexity.
Aaron B.
November 8, 2010
Cheesy as hell, and basketball scenes are all the same and boring. I wish it was better cause Pistol was the man.