David Twohy Talks Riddick Sequels

Summary

They're still at the idea stage, but David Twohy and Vin Diesel are committed to continuing "The Chronicles of Riddick" -- and in a new interview with Shock Till You Drop, Twohy discusses how. Back to Article

Comments

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

I'm still trying to figure out what Pitch Black had to do with The Chronicles of Riddick. Planned trilogy my ***.

Aug 3 - 04:47 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Pitch Black was an ok movie. I honestly like CoR better. CoR was more ambitious and creative IMO. I'd love to see more of these.

Pitch Black seems like a teaser into the universe that CoR takes takes place in. Can't tell how planned this series was from the start, but the first two movies are quite different and have little or no bearing on each other.

Aug 3 - 05:51 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

While watching Chronicles of Riddick, I thought to myself "This is a terrible movie with a predictable plot, silly names, goofy acting and terrible one-liners, why am I enjoying it so much?" ... and then I just thought what the heck, and rolled with it. I'd happily watch another one.

Aug 3 - 06:11 AM

Eyes On Today

John Rogers

Riddick is a great character...in Pitch Black. Chronicles was a mess all together. If you are going to do another, make it low budget and gritty like Pitch Black and it has a chance to be good again.

Aug 3 - 06:48 AM

thereign

lance berry

I liked CoR far more than Pitch Black, which I thought was just boring. However, I'm uncertain as to how much I'm looking forward to another Riddick adventure.

Aug 3 - 07:37 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

i heard years ago it was supposed to be a trilogy(so was battlefield earth though) but c'mon...either do it or not. i figured it was scrapped because Vin went the way of the Rock and moved on to kiddy flicks instead of action stuff

Aug 3 - 09:41 AM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

The trilogy was scrapped because it cost Buku bucks to produce this movie and it made little in return - basically, the same reason most movies are scrapped.

The CoR series has a lot in common w/ Serenity if you ask me. they are both pretty decent sci fi romps that just needed a little something extra to make them good.

Aug 3 - 12:17 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Riddick was far more interesting in Pitch Black, which was a surprisingly entertaining Aliens knock off. COR was a bloated, silly mess. I'd enjoy seeing another smaller movie that involves Riddick in a survial situation. Just no more alien hordes.

Aug 3 - 11:55 AM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

Aug 3 - 12:17 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

I thought Riddick already had a trilogy; there was an animated follow-up to Pitch Black, "Dark Fury", that set up the conflict between him and Toombs in "Chronicles". If this new movie is less bloated than Chronicles, and more like Pitch Black (or even that sweet Riddick video game from a few years back), this could be cool. But seeing as how he's now "king of the universe" or whatever, how could they put him in a survival situation?

Aug 3 - 12:30 PM

Mann is the Man

Jonathan Higgins

I actually read an article that stated Twohy wanted to do two more films and compared the pacing of it to the Lord of the Rings. He said PB was like the hobbit and that CoR was the first in a set trilogy.

Aug 3 - 03:14 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

That would make some sense.

CtrlAltDestroy - I completely agree. Both CoR and Serenity were decent attempts, but lacked something. I wish they both would've made more in the box office so more attempts at this genre are made. Serenity just lacked some of the character the TV show had, and CoR was working towards something pretty damn good, but it was too campy ('R' rated version might work, but don't think it's required) and definitely lacked some depth. Not that I wanted some deep character analysis, but even some more broadening of what we glimpse of the universe would've been welcomed.

Aug 3 - 04:28 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

That would make some sense.

Aug 3 - 04:28 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Twohy doesn't seem very confident in this interview, almost as though he's been so worn down by failure that he's lost touch with his sense of creativity. It almost sounded like he was about to say he hated Chronicles, which is really disconcerting-- 99% of the population may hate your movie but nobody can blame you for loving and having faith in your own work.

The Grand Tour, The Arrival, Pitch Black, Below and Chronicles of Riddick are all good solid b-sci-fi movies, the best kind of movie in my opinion. Twohy needs to get back on the ball and a little credit now and then probably wouldn't hurt. This is the guy who wrote the screenplay for The Fugitive after all...

Aug 3 - 09:05 PM

lukezskywalk

lukezskywalk er

Pitch Black had more depth than Chronicles which was just to capitalize on the Riddick character who ironically only really worked in Pitch Black. Like previous seedlings already said, I would like the next movie to follow the Pitch Black route (campy actions allusions to morality and religious choices). I'd vote to kill off Riddick in some self-sacrafice at the end of the movie.

Aug 5 - 04:36 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office