Pitch Perfect Reviews

½ May 23, 2015
Although not as clever, talented or messaged as television's venerable Glee, Pitch Perfect is a pleasant diversion with fine singing and funny, snarky quips. It would have been better if the characters and situations were developed more. Only half of the potentially interesting characters were exhibited enough to generate real interest. I feel as though a lot of the films' potential was squandered. Still, it's solidly fun and entertaining -- just not as much as it could have been.
August 14, 2012
I'm not ashamed to admit that I've seen this multiple times and it gets better on each viewing.
MANUGINO
January 24, 2013
Get Pitch Slapped.

Great Comedy! This film is really raunchy and just skirts around an R rating several times, but it is just so fun. Refreshing to see a comedy and musical combo. This is a movie even my mom would enjoy. It held my interest throughout and i think it was well produced. Filled with exciting musical numbers and solid performances from Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy, the adorable Skylar Kenstin as Beccas love interest and so many others Pitch perfect is something truly special. Not to say t's flawless it's a little amateur in spots and Brittany Snow's character feels a little confusing. But it's easy to overlook the small stuff when the film is so entertaining.

The Barden Bellas are a collegiate, all-girls a cappella singing group thriving on female pop songs and their perfect looks. After a disastrous failing at last year's finals, they are forced to regroup. Among the new recruits is freshman Beca, an independent, aspiring DJ with no interest in the college life. But after she meets Jesse, from the rival all-male a cappella group, Beca has a new outlook and takes it upon herself to help the Bellas find their new look and sound and get back into the competition.
May 27, 2014
Musicals are fun - especially if there is reason to sing - like being part of a group. I can't get that cup song out of my head now.
½ March 3, 2014
Minus half a star for the totally unnecessary vomit gags.
February 21, 2014
It may be conventional and formulaic with nearly all the film clichés that Kendrick's character disdains so much (and not with the originality of the likes of The Breakfast Club), but maybe that is its point after all: to work as a solid predictable comedy. And it does it well.
December 2, 2013
It has that flair and flamboyancy of a 'Bring it On', 'Save the Last Dance' & even 'Stomp the Yard'. Pitch Perfect displays energy and exuberance that only a capaella could (no pun intended) pitch. It is obviously a cliche-filled coming-of-age musical, but the film is able to present a new style to an old genre that's very laughable, entertaining, upbeat and filled with numbers that temps you to sing and/or dance along. 4/5
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ September 11, 2012
Not that great, but definitely not bad.. 'Pitch Perfect' is the kind of movie that will leave you dazzled even after you finished watching it.. Especially for the lovely performance from Anna Kendrick and her ear-catchy song titled Cups. The story itself is quite ordinary, from zero to hero.. A journey of a team that rebuilds themselves to the hall of fame.. The song is nice and their acapella version is quite stunning..
Nate Z.
May 30, 2013
Take the plot of Bring it On, add remixes and mash-ups of popular music thrown through the Glee grinder, Rebel Wilson's adlibbed one-liners, and shake, and you have Pitch Perfect, an a cappella singing comedy that was a sleeper hit last fall. My female friends raved about it. It's from a 30 Rock writer. It's from the director of the irreverent musical Avenue Q. I like Wilson and the movie's star, Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air). I wanted to like it, and while I found most of it passably cute, I could not get too attached and the chief reason was Kendrick's character. She's so surly and standoffish and just plain bratty, and for no good reason. It gets really annoying. Her rote romance with a bland hunky guy is made even more incredulous because Kendrick, get this, hates movies. Not certain kinds of movies or movies with certain actors, just the entire medium. Who is like this? That's like disliking all of music entirely. The overall comedic spirit of the movie is amiable with a few oddball touches that keep things interesting, notably one girl who talks very quietly and says outrageous confessions. Listen well. The performance segments are impressive in their own right enough so that I wish there were more of them. There's also a level of reality to projectile vomit that I was not prepared for. Overall, Pitch Perfect is a fitfully amusing comedy that never really settles down a functional tone, and Kendrick's bratty character drags the movie down. It's far from perfect but depending upon your love of a cappella, it could be good enough.

Nate's Grade: B-
cosmo313
½ May 25, 2013
In this mostly light comedy, we get a fun look into the world of competitive college a capella singing groups.

Beca is a loner college freshman who can't find a clique to belong to until she gets muscled into the last one she thought possible: an all girl a capella singing group surprisingly made up of a diverse group of girls from all walks of life.

Having a background in music, I was able to appreciate this film a little more. Granted, the music being performed here is cover versions of stuff I'm not into, but I can recognize something entertaining and crowd pleasing when I hear it.

The cast is made up of typical tokens, but somehow I really didn't seem to mind, no matter how predictable and unoriginal this all is. As Beca, Anna Kendrick is really good as the alternative chick, but, like most people, I found myself being most entertained by Rebel Wilson's turn as the odd and eccentric Fat Amy. She's the clear scene stealer and best thing going on here, though Hana Mae Lee as the super quiet and creepy Lilly was also pretty awesome.

The film is really predictable, formulaic, and cheesy, yet I found myself not caring about any of that. It's a feel good crowd pleaser, quite funny, and yeah, even the music performances are done pretty well.

It's nothing new, but is done far better than it has any right to be. I say give it a watch.
April 17, 2013
I think I was expecting much more. Really not very laugh-out-loud funny, and it really was just like GLEE...which I stopped watching a couple years ago. No real "show stoppers" here, in my opinion. Rather lame...
January 11, 2013
Another one I expected to like more than I did. Really quite lame and tame.
½ March 17, 2013
A strange mix of cheap humor, great acting, cliche subplots, and an endearing protagonist. Overall not a fantastic film, but a good one, especially thanks to Anna Kendrick. We've seen movies like this before. The plot sinks down to typical teenage/college movie tendencies while the writing and humor don't really hit the nail on the head. But the musical performances are entertaining and full of energy. Kendrick's character is easy to like, relate to, and cheer for. Especially charming is her interactions with the other characters. Predictable, yes. Cheesy, yes. But it leaves you smiling and in a good mood. What else can you ask for?
January 31, 2013
Pitch Perfect (2012, USA) is a fusion of Glee, Mean Girls, and everything nice. A highly addicting, genuinely exciting, and perfectly beautiful composition about a university acappella group to discovery, friendship, and success. A perfect 10.
thmtsang
October 14, 2012
Glee for college folk. Good music and cast.
LWOODS04
October 3, 2012
"Seriously? Is everyone from the Twilight films musicians and singers? Anna with this, Kristen in Runaways and Into the Wild, Robert with the Twilight films, then Nikki Reed sings with her hubby, and Jackson has his own band as well. I feel like there must have been a lot of jam sessions with these folks while filming those films. I wonder whose next?
Back to the movie. It was a lot fun. I liked most of it. But there was plenty of eye rolling worthy moments. Rebel Wilson made this film. She's highly hilarious. I lurv her. Skylar Astin reminded me a lot of Dane Cook. That's who I thought of when I watched his performance. He kind of looks like him too. I liked Anna Kendrick in this too. All in all it was a fun, funny movie. Unfortunately the thing that bugged me the most wasn't even the cheese it served up, it was how they happened to put every funny moment into the trailers. It didn't leave much left to laugh at. Besides that, it was an OK movie. I'd probably watch it again just for Rebels performance. She's my kinda funny."
December 28, 2012
An entertaining summer flick about a subject that has been now hounded to death, "Pitch Perfect" is actually a fun and rare comedy that blends youthful concepts and humor with music, and follows young adults without demeaning their intelligence. Set at a New England college two separate acapella groups, one completely male one female, become rivals for a coveted title. Their antics are less than mature and there are some serious gross out moments but overall the comedy itself is as fun and frothy as a cosmopolitan. Though it follows the same tenuous plot structure as many other comedies of its caliber, it is still far and above a better comedy than many out there. Besides quite explicitly putting a female protagonist out there and passing the Bechter test, it also follows an alternative lead while also making jest of her and proving her to be flawed and not an all-powerful rogue like in many films. The songs are especially fun, ranging from 80's power rock to the often forgotten music of indie songstress Lily Allen. This film includes from puppets, hip-hop, and the obligatory Glee references, but not getting bogged down in drama or romance, and remaining upbeat. Some great performances came from all involved. Anna Kendrick, as the outsider thrust into the spotlight and given credence to be herself, astounds once again with her extensive range. Rebel Wilson from "Bridesmaids" shows up to be interestingly self-loving, talented, and aware of herself in a most enticing way. Others with mentionable roles include Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins as acapella announcers, Brittany Snow as a performer, and Adam Devine from the show "Workaholics" puts in an obnoxious turn as a competitor. Simply fun and timeless, it's raucous fun for all.
½ December 24, 2012
Some movies you watch with low expectations, but end up really digging it. "Pitch Perfect" is one of those movies. I have heard a lot of positive things about it, but it's not something that really appeals to me, so I wasn't sure if it would be something I would like. What I got was a very funny and enjoyable movie in the same vein as "Drumline" and "Bring It On". The movie is a group of college girls who compete in an a cappella singing competition with other groups on campus. They are the typical group of misfits who join up and are the dark horses. The performances are all great especially the two leads Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson. Wilson is on the verge of being a big comedic star. She has the "it" factor where just about everything she does is funny and over the top. Kendrick is her usually likeable self, and she comes off very believe able as an aspiring DJ. The music is great and the singing is fantastic. I'm really curious as to why this isn't up for best "Comedy or Musical" at the Golden Globes, as it is both a great musical and very funny. One of the best surprises of the year for sure. Give it a shot, and you'll be surprised too.
c0up
½ December 23, 2012
'Pitch Perfect'. Clichéd, story-wise, but the music is great, and Anna Kendrick, I just love.
½ December 21, 2012
A predictable and by the numbers musical comedy, but elevated by enjoyable performances, witty lines, and some enjoyable musical numbers. The cast is largely good, especially Anna Kendrick (whose talent is underused more than not these days) and Rebel Wilson (who has had memorable, small roles in movies like Bridesmaids). The movie has a little bit of a TV movie feel to it, but it is still enjoyable despite this shortcoming. It's not a revelatory musical or anything really new to the genre, but it is a solid outing that's worth a look even if you don't care for musicals. It's just plain funny.