Places in the Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Places in the Heart Reviews

January 29, 2016
'Places' is OK, but as much as it is supposed to be an uplifting movie about unlikely survival during the Depression, I found it depressing as in the end, it is only by luck and Moze that Edna survives - and next year, with neither Moze or luck on your side, she will lose the farm anyway.
LWOODS04
August 22, 2009
Sally Field, Lindsay Crouse, Ed Harris

Edna Spalding finds herself alone and broke on a small farm in the midst of the Great Depression when her husband the Sheriff is killed in an accident. A wandering black man, Moses, helps her to plant cotten to try and keep her farm and her kids together. She also takes on a blind border, Mr. Will, who lost his sight in the first World War. She must endure storms and harsh labor to try and make her mortage payment on time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of my favorite Sally Field movie's. She gives a great performance along with a great cast. This movie could probly relate to a lot of people who are trying to make it through hard times, while trying to keep their home and family together. I highly recommend this movie to all.
jjnxn
March 29, 2007
sally's very good but the film is slow
February 6, 2014
A well polished pieces but sometimes these bits of drippiness weigh heavily on me. Just have to get me in the right mood to like this one more.
½ August 16, 2013
Started slow and I wasn't expecting much but I'm glad I kept watching because it was a great film with great performances, I'd say that it is Sally field's and Danny glovers best films ever.
April 13, 2015
Well written,directed character study that have the actors to pull of this wonderful heartfelt story.
½ October 17, 2014
There's a super sweetness to "Places in the Heart," but it wears it well. The characters all have little failings, but nothing that can't be quickly overcome in the space of a tender, touching moment. Though many scenes walk right up to the line, they stop short of turning that well-earned tenderness into cloying sentimentality.

The young, cherub-cheeked widow played by Sally Field is can-do-ism personified, and is perhaps more racially tolerant than the norm for 1930s Texas, especially considering that her husband has just been killed by a drunk, black youth. But the movie sells us on the idea that she has bigger problems to worry about than racial politics or even personal loss. The Depression is palpable throughout the movie, and it reshapes her life almost overnight. A neighbor is living in a car, paint on a nearby abandoned house says "Gone to California," and now, with the death of the family breadwinner, Field's character also appears to be headed for bust. Worse, she may lose custody of her two children. With no time to mourn, she has to take in a surly boarder (John Malkovich, thoroughly believable as the blind WWI veteran) and hire a black man who previously stole from her (Danny Glover) in a desperate attempt to stay afloat. If it seems all too predictable that her headstrong determination and positive spirit will prevail, that her worldly-wise black field hand will prove his worth, and that the bottled-up boarder will grudgingly reveal his sensitive side, well... it wears it well.

Perhaps these characters should be thought of in the way that many of us like to think of our grandparents and great-grandparents: a little idealized in our minds, perhaps, but people who we believe were fundamentally good and who lived through difficult and transformative years in our history as soldiers, laborers, school children, and housewives. The final scene in the movie is a creative tracking shot that emphasizes the oneness of this diverse, often fragmented and antagonistic, yet familiar community that we have come to know. It is not just a Texas community, but an American one.

It is hard to say what a slow-boiling side plot about marital infidelity, featuring a young and inscrutable Ed Harris, adds to the movie. There may be some thematic connection to a frightening sequence of a literally home-wrecking tornado. Or maybe it is a way to provide additional color by making the supporting characters flawed and allowing the main ones to remain only nominally imperfect. In any case, this B-plot is not very creatively rendered, and it takes time away from the Malkovich and Glover characters whose private lives would surely be far more interesting but are too seldom seen. This shortcoming, though, does not prevent the main plot from being as affirming and moving as it strives to be.
½ September 3, 2014
There's some good stuff in this movie, but it overall isn't one I can recommend or say I enjoyed it enough to do so. Sally Field certainly didn't deserve the Oscar for this performance (not that she's bad), it must have been a really weak year. The Ed Harris subplot is just a total waste of time, the whole affair thing should have been cut as it felt like a different (really boring) movie. I like Danny Glover's character, and Malkovich is always interesting, but it wasn't enough to raise above the rest of the mediocre movie.
½ May 21, 2014
Sally Field is always great and this is no exception, same as Malkovich. Danny Glover is also good in this. It started strong and then sloped into a kind of boring middle and then it picked up towards the end.
May 10, 2014
A white woman who's fortunate enough to have a farm might lose it, but poor black people rally around her and help her out. An inspiration to poor people...
December 23, 2012
Superlative Americana period-piece moviemaking.
Heart-felt throughout - quietly shocking in its normalcy. A fresh take on a surprisingly simple story. This. Is. Brilliant.
It will move you in it's quiet complexities of emotion and character authenticity, and for me, spiritual transcendence thru to the awe-inspiring final communion.
I think this is what the meandering film Tree Of Life wished it could be.
And Tyler Perry has been trying to convey - but evidently missing -
a truly redemptive church service like the one here.
I can't express enough the subtle power that is here.
Some will overlook the greatness bc of the quietness of its strength, but those who are thoughtful and considerate will be overwhelmingly touched and gratified. On reflection of the stories' ups and downs, there is a reality of hard country living that shines thru in the kindnesses and hard-fought triumphs that are portrayed by Sally Fields's well deserved Oscar-winning turn here.
*This is no minor family drama*
- don't be fooled by the mismatched reviewers.
It touches on these themes:
the impact of a meaningless death, grief, racism, all-too-common adult bullying, adultery, betrayal, lost love,manipulation by unjust bankers n businessmen, but also justice, tenacity, the power of deep love, reconciliation, and in the finale - the power of forgiveness and ultimate redemption.
If you let it, this movie will overpower you with its gentle graces, just as its characters triumph over their adversities.
Let it in.
Be changed for the better.
It absolutely bears repeat viewings.
Based on the stories and youthful memories of Director Benton in his Texan small-town.
A perfect movie - 5/5.
½ April 6, 2013
Sally Field, Danny Glover, Ed Harris, John Malkovich, and the rest of a brilliant cast bring the depression-era south to life in this timeless classic inspired by director Robert Benton's own childhood. This movie got Field a second Oscar win and put many other actors on the map as serious contenders. Not to mention it's just one of those heart-warming stories that bring me back again and again.
½ May 28, 2012
An all-around tour de force by an incredible cast. Sally Field's second (well-deserved) Oscar win. Ended on a "real" note. Missed top marks due to a few anachronisms that bugged me (They're poor farmers living in Depression-era TX, yet the farm is electrified? C'mon! Really??)
July 19, 2007
A sweetly and subtly observed period melodrama, with strong performances and delicate, lyrical writing and direction, and an effective portrayal of religious community that bookends the story emotionally and thematically.
½ June 22, 2011
Places In The Heart was a good movie but it wasn't as good as I heard.I think the best thing about the movie was Sally Field's character & how she did everything she could to keep a roof over her & her family's head.Other then that, It was just OK
November 14, 2010
John Malkovich, Sally Field, and Danny Glover all deliver worthwhile performances. Several touching moments but a film in which connection to the main characters is hard to find. Good on many accounts but not Oscar-worthy most years.
½ November 14, 2010
"Places in the Heart" is a truly excellent movie that exemplifies acts of courage and commitment. Sally Field does a wonderful job in this film, and from the help of John Malkovich and Danny Glover, the movie is able to play out perfectly.

After a woman who has two children losers her husband, she must attempt to keep her land without being evicted and losing her family. Danny Glover arrives one day, and tells her that he's good at planting cotton. The two take up a business and try to make it in the world. John Malkovich plays a blind man who lives with them, and at the same time, grows as a person. It's fairly decent story, with a lot of good character development, and some pretty touching moments.

Along with the 3 actors that were mentioned, Ed Harris and Amy Madigan also perform in this movie, and they both give pretty good performances as well. That's what worked so well about this movie. The acting was fantastic. Even the people who had one or two lines were good. Everything was executed perfectly.

Their are a few sub-plots that go on at the same time, that describe some of the characters, and it helps us feel a little more attached to the movie. It's no wonder that they called the film the name it was given, because some scenes are just so heart-wrenching. It really is a sweet, and heart-warming film.

"Places in the Heart" needs to be seen, not only for it's amazing film composition, it's fine acting, or plot, but because of it's message. It speaks to all of the feelings that people hold inside. It tells the audience never to give up on something, and not to judge a person because the rest of society judges them that way. It's a great movie, and I highly recommend it. "Places in the Heart" is a film to remember.
March 10, 2010
A wonderfully simple film, lovingly detailed art direction and costume design. The cinematography is excellent. The performances from everyone are notable. Sally Field gives a very convincing and heartfelt performance. The supporting cast is exemplary. Ed Harris, Lindsay Crouse, Amy Madigan, John Malkovich, and in particular Danny Glover. Impressive production throughout. There are a couple of scenes that are a little overdone, the tornado and the endless cotton picking scene, but overall the film comes together very well and it always held my interest throughout.