• PG, 1 hr. 53 min.

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 22, 2009
Sally Field, Lindsay Crouse, Ed Harris

Edna Spalding finds herself alone and broke on a small farm in the midst of the Great Depression when her husband the Sheriff is killed in an accident. A wandering black man, Moses, helps her to plant cotten to try and keep her farm and her kids together. She also takes on a blind border, Mr. Will, who lost his sight in the first World War. She must endure storms and harsh labor to try and make her mortage payment on time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of my favorite Sally Field movie's. She gives a great performance along with a great cast. This movie could probly relate to a lot of people who are trying to make it through hard times, while trying to keep their home and family together. I highly recommend this movie to all.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 29, 2007
sally's very good but the film is slow
John B

February 6, 2014
A well polished pieces but sometimes these bits of drippiness weigh heavily on me. Just have to get me in the right mood to like this one more.
July 19, 2007
A sweetly and subtly observed period melodrama, with strong performances and delicate, lyrical writing and direction, and an effective portrayal of religious community that bookends the story emotionally and thematically.
Brody M

June 22, 2011
Places In The Heart was a good movie but it wasn't as good as I heard.I think the best thing about the movie was Sally Field's character & how she did everything she could to keep a roof over her & her family's head.Other then that, It was just OK
jam233
March 10, 2010
A wonderfully simple film, lovingly detailed art direction and costume design. The cinematography is excellent. The performances from everyone are notable. Sally Field gives a very convincing and heartfelt performance. The supporting cast is exemplary. Ed Harris, Lindsay Crouse, Amy Madigan, John Malkovich, and in particular Danny Glover. Impressive production throughout. There are a couple of scenes that are a little overdone, the tornado and the endless cotton picking scene, but overall the film comes together very well and it always held my interest throughout.
May 24, 2008
It's a period piece (The Great Depression). It tells the story of a widower who's husband was killed in an accident, who's left with a farm, kids (2 of them), mortgage and no way to make the payment. She has to find a way, because if not she'll lose it all. She is befriended by a wandering black man name Moses (Danny Glover) whom helps her try to save the farm by helping her plant & harvest cotton. She also takes on a blind border named Mr. Will.
It's a story on the trials & hardships of a woman of that time trying to maintain a home and family with only love, preserverence and friendships
August 17, 2007
Great performance by Sally Field...and although the main part of the story was not about the KKK...that part made me angry...injustice always makes me angry.
blc142
June 30, 2007
one of my mothers favorite films .. it show how terrible the KKK is and how great one women does in a terrible time ..
movieloverforlife
February 27, 2007
A very good movie. It's heartbreaking, but also heartwarming. Sally is amazine in this movie. It has an awesome cast! A movie worth watching!
anni670
February 20, 2007
A heartwarming family drama of a woman who will stop at nothing to keep her home and family together.
tstoombs
June 4, 2006
Spectacular cast with Sally Field in another Norma Rae tough role. Odd lot brought together in hard times.
August 7, 2014
Yes! Absolutely an Oscar worthy movie. Made me cry like a little btch )):
dan u.
July 24, 2014
I really liked this one. It was a bit sad and slow, but I did enjoy it. :)
May 21, 2014
Sally Field is always great and this is no exception, same as Malkovich. Danny Glover is also good in this. It started strong and then sloped into a kind of boring middle and then it picked up towards the end.
January 8, 2013
This is an astonishing movie to me even today after so many years. There are many points of discussion, not just the powerful ending. It is one of those movies that can be used to teach about the depression era or about racism or about perseverance and forgiveness. Or for me about faith. Or all of the above. Field is famous for her Oscar acceptance speech, "You really like me..." Yes. And I really like this film.
November 3, 2013
fantastic movie, loved it.
October 20, 2013
One of the best movies, felt really involved.