Plain Dirty Reviews

½ May 13, 2014
Plain Dirty is a modern, Southern Gothic tale of true love and murder. It centers on Inez Macbeth (Dominique Swain), a wisp of a girl just a shade over twenty, who may lack a formal education, but has already been taught plenty by life. She's at a dead end, married to Edgar (Henry Thomas), a petty thief who had his shot and missed long ago, but is too dense to realize it. She spends her days catering to Edgar's whims and fighting off lame advances from his taciturn partner in crime, Flowers (Arie Verveen). One day, Butcher Lee (Karen Allen), Inez's trusted friend and an amateur mystic of sorts, reveals a vision that Inez's One True Love is close by. Determined not to let this opportunity slip by, she vows to act on that information right away. Unknown to anyone, Inez has begun a secret tryst with Druden (James Urbaniak), a sweet-spirited, oddly-romantic, and wealthy young lawyer in town. With utter certainty that Druden is The One from Butcher's vision, Inez plans their escape to Richmond. Edgar gets wind Inez is up to something and blows his cool, beating her and making her a prisoner in their own home. These efforts lead Inez to concoct a desperate scheme involving murder, betrayal, and escape. In the ensuing chaos, Inez discovers the thorny side of true love and that finding one's soul mate is never quite what you'd expect.
October 15, 2011
Loved the southern gothic atmosphere. The movie is watchable despite being on a weird side... but the story left something to be desired and the ending was kind of silly.
April 3, 2007
A very strange movie, I wanted to stop watching it, but I just couldn't. If you see it let me know what you think.
February 15, 2011
A Southern Gothic melodrama so deep-fried you can just about feel your arteries hardening, the Virginia-set "Briar Patch" might have worked as a rollicking Tennessee Williams send-up, if only the filmmakers weren't so unwaveringly straight-faced. But no one (except the audience) seems in on the joke.
½ December 14, 2010
Tuesday, December 14, 2010

(2004) Plain Dirty
DRAMA/THRILLER/ MYSTERY

Sexy looking Dominique Swain as Inez escaping an abusive relationship by involving herself with a much wealthy peer, who is the Henry Thomas character, the first star of E.T. as the abuser and authority figure as Edgar, and his supposedly old friend Flowers. All it is, is 'red necks' or hillbillies and their dysfunctional relationship woes. Karen Allen also stars as the fortune teller.

I was able to watch this straight through because of the backwood settings, photography and atmosphere as a theatrical film, even through I was unable to picture both Henry Thomas and Karen Allen as a couple of hillbillies. Simplistic storyline with plotholes that's been done before.

2 out of 4 stars
½ May 13, 2014
I've been going through what I hope to be permanent changes lately. This means my priorities have been different and I haven't been going out to rent movies, relying on whatever my cable system serves up. After a few weeks I've discovered that approach doesn't get it. There's some good stuff on cable but precious little of the really way out, bizarro films I enjoy. So I went to Video Americain today and lived up to my profile by getting two movies that have never even been released in this country, Larry Clark's "Ken Park" and Peter Greenaway's "The Baby Of Macon".

I saw a real whopper this morning, "Report To The Commissioner". I remember this film coming out with a lot of ballyhoo in the Seventies but nobody remembers it today, and with good reason, it's stupid. It's a bizarre story about undercover work gone horribly wrong and the resultant coverup, but there is a fatal flaw, the wog-boggling lead performance of Michael Moriarity who acts like a pre-Raphaelite flower child when he's supposed to be a rookie cop. It's ludicrous overacting and it's no wonder he spent several years doing Larry Cohen exploitation movies after this. The plot was strange in a couple of ways as well but a better lead actor and director might have worked out of it all. Instead we get two ludicrous chase scenes as padding, one with Moriarity chasing a black guy in boxer shorts over rooftops and one of a legless street beggar careening through Manhattan like a skateboarder!
Some good actors here despite all that, Yaphet Kotto, Hector Elizondo, Vic Tayback, William Devane and Richard Gere as a pimp (!). There's an oddconnection knowing that twenty years later Moriarity and Kotto would be working in two excellent TV cop shows, Moriarity inder control as prosecuting attorney Ben Stone in "Law And Order" and Kotto as LT Giardella on "Homicide: Life On The Street".
May 13, 2014
Unexpectedly good. It won't appeal to everyone, but I liked it. It has a good cast that keeps you watching, and it's interesting enough to keep you, well, interested. Oh, and Henry Thomas (that kid from E.T.) is in it as an abusive husband. Arie Verveen and Dominique Swain are great.

This is a modern, southern take on Macbeth.