Movies Like Plan 9 from Outer Space

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Plan 9 from Outer Space Reviews

Bob S

April 10, 2007
"We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I will spend the rest of our lives and remember my friends future events such as these will affect you in the future!"

That's just for openers.
Spencer S

October 14, 2010
I have seen worse movies in my life, hell, I've seen worse movies this very month, and yet this particular film from the infamous Ed Wood seems to be the seminal in bad filmmaking. Because of Mr. Wood's earnest approach to his source material, his inability to make films without corny dialogue, and his decision to only have one take per scene; make many of his films comically bad. It's sad that the untainted enthusiasm of Mr. Wood is often relegated to mirth, but at least his films are beloved for their camp and corniness, more than can be said for other aspiring filmmakers. This isn't even the worst of his films, but it is the most absurd, as it bridges the genres of zombie horror, sci-fi, and apocalypse film without any seamless transitions. He uses people who have never acted before, homemade sets, and doesn't apologize for the lack of production value. Still, I found the sentiment expressed by the aliens as productive, the sole message of the film positive as it says to do better for the world than the ways humans have before. At least there's that care for human dignity, and that's what makes this film great, even if it's technically bad.
Carlos M

November 15, 2012
Ed Wood's most infamous creation and a definite prove of how outrageously inept he was as a filmmaker. Featuring a lot of laughable acting and dialogue, ridiculous special effects and a disastrous notion of space and time, it's a masterpiece in sheer awfulness.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 18, 2006
Ok, so this film really isn't quite "The Worst Film of All-Time", but it is quite horrible. Part of what gives it redeeming value, though is the fact that it IS a bad movie- mainly due to the ridiculous writing, cheesy dialogue, and the numerous way too hard not to miss errors and goofs. This is a good film to watch for educational purposes especially for up and coming film makers as a way to see what not to do when making a film. Plus, spotting all the errors is fun in and of itself. This is delightfully cheesy and camp schlock at its best.
Lucas M

February 1, 2012
Since Tim Burton's 1994 fictionalized biopic classic Ed Wood, that tell the story about the worst director ever, Edward D. Wood, Jr. and his infamous/famous classic Plan 9 from Outer Space, both creator and creature won, from the new public, a cult following. With incoherent scenes, silly direction mistakes, chronologically and geographically incomprehensible, awful actings by an unlikely cast and poor production design/special "defects", Plan 9 become an unintentionally funny sci-fi, that sometimes bring a poetic narration, and an interesting anti-war message (arguably the best anti-war message in sci-fi since 'Them!'). Ed Wood bring to cinema a, beloved by few and hated by others, trash cult classic 'it's so bad that it's good', directed with stunning incompetence, but widely notorious, celebrated or appalling. Fresh.
Tyler R

March 22, 2012
Didn't like it too much, but Bela Lugosi is in it! That guy is a horror icon!
Christopher H

December 1, 2011
One of the most entertaining inept films ever made. I wouldn't necessarily call this the worst movie ever made since the it still manages to be entertaining. What contributes to this movie's charm is that it is obvious that Ed Wood wanted to make a good movie, and that is what makes this movie so-bad-it's-good. Ed Wood tries to make a good movie, and he fails in the most spectacular way possible.
Alexander D

January 18, 2012
Picture a man facing the camera as if ready to give a news report. He tells his audience: "Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown... the mysterious. The unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing to you, the full story of what happened on that fateful day." These images you are picturing in your mind serve as the preluding sequence in PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, a "Z-Movie" (not a "B-Movie") from cult director Ed Wood. If that sounds like a terrible beginning to a film, you're absolutely right, but the rest of the film, I must honestly say, makes that one scene look like nada.

To say PLAN 9 is corny will not suffice; and the phrase "it's so terrible, it's great" is agreeable, but has been put to an unbearable overuse. The only honorary (or dishonorary) title for such a film that seems to fit is "#1 Z-Movie". The film, produced shoddily on a budget of $60,000, suffers from a horribly-written script (nods to the poor narration from "The Amazing Criswell"), laughable visuals, ridiculous performances, and an aberrant plot. In addition to that, it somehow managed to kill horror thespian Bela Lugosi in mid-production.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 26, 2011
Absolutely terrible! :D
Keiko A. --Samurai--
Keiko A. --Samurai--

January 22, 2011
Director: Edward D. Wood Jr. and Starring Gregory Walcott, Mona McKinnon, Tom Keene,Tor Johnson and almost bela Lugosi.

Project 2 (Films I liked but everyone hated)

They dubbed it the worst movie ever made??? Personally this is one of the greatest sci-fi films from the 50s. It's in my top 5 next to Gojira! Of course it's Ed woods best movie never could get into his other films they just didn't appeal to me that well. BTW the only word for this movie is freaken EPIC.

"Can your heart stand the shocking facts about Graverobbers from Outer Space?" That's the question on the lips of the narrator of this tale about flying saucers, zombies and cardboard tombstones. A pair of aliens, angered by the stupid minds of planet Earth, set up shop in a California cemetery. Their plan: to animate an army of the dead to march on the capitals of the world An intrepid airline pilot living near the cemetery must rescue his wife from this low-budget terror. "Can you prove it *didn't* happen?"

I think this is truly my top 10 most underrated flicks. It truly is the best Sci-Fi horror movie of all time, you don't see these movies ever day.

90% for story: Indeed it has problem after Problem with not just story but visible errors but who CARES??? It has Vampires and Zombies as well as Aliens.

65% for acting: Look it's not bad or terrible just above average nothing specular though, that's truly all I can say.

100% for characters: I think that Vampire that tries to be the old man was the best one ever. As well As vampiria and the two annoying leads.
TOP 3 VAMPIRES

3: Eli-Let the right one in
2: Princess Asa-Black Sunday
1: The old man (Who obviously isn't bela Lugosi)-Plan 9 from outer space.

90% for special effects: Simply they are terribly awesome but they truly made the movie. It packs easy to see strings and cut outs Oh as well as none convincing special effects.

85% for everything else, what's there to say that others haven't?

Truly the greatest accevment in cinema history....or one of them.

Keiko's score 90-100
michael e.
michael e.

January 19, 2011
the film is great when you think of it as an unintentional comedy and it was great
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 6, 2009
Unintentionally funny. So good because it's oh so bad. All hail Ed Wood!
AJ V

September 5, 2010
Wood's classic cult movie is so fun, cheesy, and bad how could you not love it? I've seen this many times and I still think it's funny. Plus, the story is really brilliant if you can look past the bad acting and special effects. I love this movie.
Alexis N

November 9, 2010
I don't get it. Using the dead to convince us that aliens are real, wait, what?!
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

November 2, 2010
I dare anyone to explain me the entire monologue on how a bomb will make the sun explode and destroy the universe. As for the rest of the movie, neither the biggest cinematic disaster you will ever see, and hardly the "avant garde" experimental flick some people claim this is. Just a goofy and poorly made 50's genre flick. Wood's ineptitude behind camera is charming, but at the end the stories behind the making of this fim are just far more interesting than the film itself.
Phil H

July 19, 2010
You gotta like this you really do :) well if your a sci-fi buff perhaps hehe
This really is a case of being so bad its good, the plot is of course typical 50's and full of war properganda with very paranoid, shoot first ask questions later Americans haha

To be honest its actually not bad in places, some of the sequences are quite nice and iconic, Tor Johnson rising from the grave being the best by far with some lovely lighting and Tom Mason actually looking quite eerie with his face covered cape and just lurking but of course the bad outweighs the good by miles. Shockingly bad special effects on the sets, UFO's etc..archive footage crammed in and very obvious and no sense of night and day being the best and most obvious of the editing bloopers.

To be fair you can see the effort and heart put into the film which does make a difference especially as Wood encountered much failure and mockery but his team of outcasts and hopefuls do what they can to make the production work and with all intense and purposes it does work and it is very enjoyable if not taken seriously of course.

Watching Tim Burton's 'Ed Wood' is a great companion to this and any Wood film ;)
Anthony L

November 25, 2009
If it weren't for Tim Burton's beautiful biopic of Ed Wood I don't think I would have found this film half as entertaining as I did. 'So bad it's good'? Hmm, I?m not sure, I think it might just be bad I'm afraid! Good for Ed Wood for making it though, he's a horrible filmmaker but you can't help but love him!
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 22, 2009
not plan 7, not plan 8, plan 9! this is a ridiculously bad movie. so bad that it's a legend.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

July 25, 2009
I saw about 5 min of this and just about died! My grandma came in and was like "where did you find this!" lol it was on tv. SOO CHEESE-TASIC!
Kylie B

September 1, 2008
With Ed Wood's reputation I was expecting something hilariously shambolic. Instead I found it plain dull.