27% The Other Woman Apr 25

—— The Soul Man: Season 3
—— Suburgatory: Season 3

Playing for Keeps Reviews

September 25, 2013
it was pretty good.. I think the soccer made it that much better for me lol
cinaraboliveira
March 5, 2013
A beautiful choice! Your family or your profession, based on this thought the film reveals a beautiful story. Recommend watching.
September 21, 2013
So many good actors and so much fail in this movie. Hanging story lines all over the place and a horrible ending so devoid of goodness. I had high hopes, it was mind numbing in how poorly it was written.
September 17, 2013
We were duped. Thought this would be a cute, predictable rom-com and instead got a confusing, weird, pointless movie that went on for way too long.
September 4, 2013
Absolutely garbage, turned it off after 15 mins.
Cynthia S

August 30, 2013
Oh my...such low ratings. This was very sweet, and romantic. Typical chick flick stuff. (totally unrelated side note--Gerard Butler is unbelievably hot in this). ;)
August 23, 2013
I watched this movie and didn't hate it while it was on ... and that is perhaps the best thing I can say about Playing for Keeps, a dramedy starring Gerard Butler (Dracula 2000) as a retired soccer star who reluctantly takes on the role of head coach for his son's soccer team as a way of spending more time with his son and bonding with him. I cannot tell one much more about the movie as it is a forgettable film and there is little here to recommend. Butler plays George, a divorced man living it up as a playboy in the smallish town he has moved to in order to be closer to his son. When his financial situation gets tough, he takes on the additional job/role of coach and gets to flirt with all of his players' mothers (score!). The film is formulaic and predictable although (also) never disastrously awful. George's ex-wife, Stacie (Jessica Biel - The Illusionist), is still friendly towards her ex but she begins to grow somewhat jealous of the attention he wins from the other ladies played by Judy Greer (13 Going on 30), Catherine Zeta-Jones (Entrapment) and Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction). Zeta-Jones works for a television station and George dreams of being an on-air sports anchor/pundit while Thurman is a rich housewife with an opportunistic but jealous husband played by Dennis Quaid (Frequency). Guess where these relationships go? I'd give you two guesses but you'd only need one. One could read the box cover of the movie and know what'll happen. This is another film in which the central couple -- exes -- flirt and realize that their relationship wasn't as bad as they had believed it to be. This is also yet another film in which a genuinely nice guy -- not George, but Stacie's fiancÚ Matt (James Tupper - Me and Orson Welles) -- is horribly wronged but audiences don't seem to mind. This says a lot, does it not?
November 25, 2012
It was a movie that most can relate to on some level and that true love and family are worth fighting for!!
August 17, 2013
Funny and way different...
August 15, 2013
The fact that Playing For Keeps received such poor reviews doesn't surprise me because movie critics are some of the most closed minded individuals on the planet and this movie doesn't fit into one of their predetermined little genres. It is too raunchy to be a family movie, doesn't focus on relationships or drama enough to be a romantic-comedy, doesn't involved enough soccer to be a sports movie, and doesn't have the proper type of humor to be dude movie. What it is, however, is just an all-around decent film. There's nothing great about it but it does everything pretty good. The cast is great, though they are a bit underwhelming and underutilized in the film, and they provide solid performances, albeit a bit cliche. The plot is decent enough to keep you engaged. Is it predictable? Of course it is but so are 99% of movies made nowadays so that's nothing new. All in all, I think most open-minded viewers will enjoy this as a pretty good all-around movie, nothing more, nothing less.
July 30, 2013
Caught this on Netflix, it was cute but so predictable.
July 27, 2013
This movie is very classic romantic movie. The previews show exactly how this was going to play out and nothing was out of the ordinary. This is a movie that will be watched by a lot of gentlemen who are in a relationship and coming from that perspective this is similar to every other movie that your girlfriend has you sit through. I don't mind the occasional romantic movie so it was decent, at least the cast had known faces.
August 11, 2012
Though initially starting with some promise, this cliche-ridden & formulaic 'rom-com' progressively gets messier and more disorganized as it goes along and not even the kookiest performance from Dennis Quaid could save it.
jjnxn
jjnxn

June 29, 2013
Adequate but all over the place. The ending is sappy and it wastes several fine actresses in nothing parts.
July 13, 2013
Here is another example that a great cast, doesn't make a great movie
DC Edmonds
July 12, 2013
"Playing for Keeps" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: While Gerard Butler hasn't had a great track record with me as of late, he wasn't the problem here. In fact, he did a pretty good job with what little he had to work with. The film starts off with promise.

The Bad: Everyone not named Gerard Butler was dreadful. Biel, Thurman, Zeta-Jones, and Quaid all have solid reps, yet were stiff and terrible in this. The film itself becomes predictable and everyone in the film comes across as a complete idiot, especially the women. Poorly written and a complete waste of time.
July 11, 2013
You really have to wonder what the purpose of most of this movie is witless and the story is impersonal. The film has a large and somewhat talented cast, yes even including Dennis Quaid, but they don't really do anything with them and they, quite frankly, exploit the women in the movie just for George to have some conquests. The lives of these women don't really matter, once George is done with them they're thrown away like trash. It's almost something out of a completely different movie since the story does have to do with George trying to make a better life for his son and that idea is solid, but then he goes around fucking every woman he comes into contact with. I just think they were there to pad the length of the movie, because this parts of the film, with George planting his seed with every woman he comes into contact with, are completely useless in the large scheme of the story. They do tie it to the main story in such a lazy way, it's like why even do it? It's not effective and it only serves to create unnecessary drama. I do like the idea of a man who's been an absentee father almost all his life FINALLY trying to do something for his son, but the execution in this movie is absolutely terrible. Humorless and terrible. If you want to watch a really good romantic comedy, that doesn't treat most of its women characters as sex objects, go watch Celeste and Jesse Forever, that's a great movie. It's not as bad as I was expecting, but it is pretty terrible as nothing really works. If you want something romantic to watch with your significant other, this movie is NOT it.
July 10, 2013
I give it a half-star because, at the very least, Gerard Butler looks like he's having fun. But other than that, man...it's bad. It's really bad.
July 6, 2013
Seems like they tried. But, it's so unoriginal that I can't help but rate it low.