—— The Identical Sep 05

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Pleasantville Reviews

April 28, 2014
loved it nice movie of time lost that I love watching again and again
August 27, 2013
I had a pleasant time watching "Pleasantville". It's story is filled social/political satire are something I always love to see in movies. It even throws in some sci-fi/fantasy elements which i'm a huge fan of the genre(s). I absolutely loved the characters and the actors that portrayed them worked perfectly. The visuals were an absolute treat. The contrast from black and white to slowly introducing color look brilliant. I would easily recommend this film to anyone, it's a surprisingly fun and deep film.
December 12, 2011
The concept is really interesting, but the execution could have been better.
Thomas P.
March 21, 2014
With an interesting premise, Pleasantville shows who you really are.
January 25, 2014
Always funny to skewer those stuck in the past and who don't want to change.
January 22, 2014
I would give it 3 stars but since Im a huge 50s fan In giving it 4. The movie was too long and slow at moments. Concept was good but it wasn't enough to be really relevant. Tobey McGuire and Witherspoon looked both adorable.
January 15, 2014
Maybe the most inventive & beautifully shot film of 1998. This film is a treat from another age, a great family entertainment very well directed, written & acted by a bunch of really awesome actors. Brilliant.
January 11, 2014
Every once in a while, after a particularly hectic time in my life, there are moments where I sit back, watch an episode of "I Love Lucy" and just can't help but think to myself: I wish I could trade all of the electronics, all of the stress, and all of the craziness of modern day times, and mold it into what resembles a 1950s, black-and-white sitcom.
If only my friends and I could partake in the same misadventures of Lucy and Ethel. If only I could be married to Lucille Ball and work as a bandleader like Ricky. If only I could wisecrack with pitch-perfect delivery like Fred and get away with it. I'm sure most people, at least once or twice in their lifetime, wishes that their life could only be so simple.
"Pleasantville" is ingenious because it takes this far-away dream and makes it a reality.
The film begins in 1998, and we are introduced to two siblings: David (Tobey Maguire) and Jennifer (Reese Witherspoon). David is shy and without many friends, and his favorite hobby is to sit back on the weekends and watch "Pleasantville", a TV-series that has the sweetness and charm of "Leave It to Beaver" or "The Donna Reed Show." It's an escape from his uneventful life that lacks perpetual optimism.
Jennifer, on the other hand, is confident in herself, maybe even a bit more popular. On one eventful night, the siblings get into a mega-fight over the TV: a "Pleasantville" marathon is occurring at the exact same time as an MTV concert. The twosome end up breaking the remote in a way that could only exist in a movie, and suddenly a quirky repairman (Don Knotts, in a memorable role) shows up at their doorstop. He fixes the TV and gives them a strange remote - which happens to zap them right into "Pleasantville".
The world is literally what is shown on screen - there is no color, sex doesn't exist, every team wins every game, etc. David is in heaven, while Jennifer's scoffing attitude brings in a certain spice that appears in a sort of shock to the creepily perfect fictional town. But the siblings' sudden appearance begins to give new life to the town - and eventually, color.
"Pleasantville" (the film, not the TV-show) works so well because it flawlessly balances satire and the dependable Hollywood formula so well. We're able to get a kick out of the completely G-rated TV-version of the '50s, but it still remains to be thought-provoking. By the end, we realize that, no matter how picturesque and simple a vintage sitcom can be, it is much better to live a life that is unexpected day by day, and full of opportunity.
The film is most definitely a satire, playful poking fun at the cliché characters that live in "Pleasantville" (the TV-show, town), while they sip their Cherry Cokes and eat hamburgers and fries, but there is never a moment of snakiness or wit that leaves us out. In a way, it's a film for everybody, as you can look at it from a sophisticated standpoint and look into the social commentary, or you can watch it simply to be entertained. Either way, you can't lose.
Gary Ross, who makes his directional debut here, balances story and special effects with utter smoothness. Most other directors who had this film in their hands, would rather focus on the look on the film and the sumptuous look of black-and-white combined with splashes of color, but Ross manages to have the cinematography there not as a distraction, but as a pivotal part of the story. Seeing the blandness change into something of a Technicolor dream is a marvel.
"Pleasantville" could be watched again and again and again, and it would still manage to deliver. It has that warming sweetness that most films dream to have, but it's intelligent enough to let us not feel bad about it loving it. A perfect film.
Sheriea J.
December 11, 2013
Great movie really enjoyed it. Pleasantville is an amazing movie full of emotion, a few good life lessons and comedy. Loved it
November 23, 2013
The strengths of this film lies with the skillful handling of its themes, which vary from oppression and repression to the spontaneity of life.
November 23, 2013
"Pleasantville" is one of the most terrific dramedies ever, but it's also so much more than that. There is social commentary littered throughout the movie. Nothing is ever perfect, and everything is prone to change, whether you like it or not. It's all just a matter of accepting it, which "Pleasantville" draws upon with an actually thought-provoking intelligence. The movie is very funny, terrifically acted by everyone, and it comes with such an appropriately bittersweet ending. Don't miss this one.
November 19, 2013
An artistic movie that raises many questions about what truly living means.
November 18, 2013
A great family-friendly movie that carries a good, strong message, filled with heart, humor and hope.
November 14, 2013
its an interesting movie about a teenage boy and a teenage girl that get stuck into the 50s
that's what makes it so Interesting, also tobey Maguire does amazing job playing as david wagner
Adriel L

May 5, 2012
It's not supposed to be anything. These are the wisest words ever said. Beautifully shot, this exactingly euphoric and colorful film.
October 2, 2013
Offering up some fantastic visual disparities, some forthright cultural criticism, and a bounty of dramedic moments, "Pleasantville" surmounts a rocky first fifteen minutes and ultimately sails into the boundaries of a fantastic work of art.
July 10, 2007
Starts off a little too goofy, but it soon finds its footing and completely entertains. Joan Allen was robbed of a well-deserved Oscar nomination.
EntertainMeOrDie
September 21, 2013
83%
Pleasantville is a delightful tale with a great script and a captivating story.
September 8, 2013
Its very pleasant and entertaining to watch, different from what I'm used to.