• PG, 1 hr. 27 min.

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Police Academy 4 - Citizens on Patrol Reviews

Phil H

August 27, 2013
Well here we are again and its back to training...again!. Yep this fourth time around 'Lassard' calls on his most loyal men to train up a group of civvies for his new programme 'citizens on patrol'. Naturally the resident bad guy (this time its back to 'Harris') doesn't agree with Lassard's plan so he and 'Proctor' are out to foil their plans, so dastardly.

The idea behind this isn't too bad really, its a bit like special volunteer officers which we have here in the UK. So the general concept is sound, the problem is we are back at the academy focusing on training these new civvies and we're seeing all the same stuff all over again!!.

To cut a long story short, seeing as I've explained what happens in the academy for the last three film reviews, we see every character doing their unique thing all over again. This means more martial arts from motormouth 'Jones', 'Callahan' is in the pool getting her huge tits wet, 'Tackleberry' is on the shooting range (where else), 'Sweetchuck' gets thrown around the place a lot, 'Hightower' is on voice commands and 'Mahoney' is lurking around the stereotypical blonde bit of fluff and dishing out his good deed speeches left right n centre.

Everything in this film is virtually a replay on everything we've seen in virtually all of the last three films. The last three got away with it because they were more adult and the idea was still reasonably fresh, no longer does this apply. The whole film is very boring and extremely childish, on top of that nothing makes any sense now, its just bits n pieces thrown together.

Mahoney, Tackleberry and Hightower perform a very elaborate prank on the three young guys simply to prove they aren't ready for the real beat. This whole sequence is completely nonsense, as if you would go to all that trouble for nothing, its total filler that isn't even amusing. There is a fight sequence on a docked ship against some ninjas (!), no idea why this happens or how the officers end up at the docks but hey. I honestly feel they stuck this in simply to utilize 'Nogata' who cameos here, also another martial arts sequence for Jones who appears out of nowhere. He just pops up for this fight from literately nowhere.

Add to that a vast amount of terribly cartoonish visual gags, pratfalls, blatantly obvious stunt doubles, terrible audio dubbing and pretty much no actual main plot (accept for the civvy training crap). There is a jail break midway through which serves as the big finale, this time its in the air with hot air balloons and old biplanes. Now I admit its all performed well with nice aerial stunts and whatnot but its so completely ludicrous. Why on earth would they chase the bad guys in hot air balloons? surely you'd just call in police choppers?? how the hell does everyone seem to be a dab hand at flying biplanes?? why am I even questioning a Police Academy flick?. I might add that Hightower completely disappears for the last half of the film, odd, Bubba must have had better things to do.

This film is quite 'famous' I suppose for a few things, firstly its one of Sharon Stone's early films as she was slowly getting more recognised. Secondly there is a young Tony Hawks in the film showing his skateboarding skills and thirdly there is also a young David Spade as one of the civvy recruits.

This is easily one of the worst PA films in the franchise simply because they reuse every old trick and story sequence idea all over again. Yes I know most of the PA films do this but like I said up to this point in the franchise its been reasonably fresh. This just feels terribly dull, uninspired and has some of the worst 'comedy' I've seen, you can't even call it slapstick, its just shit. Goldthwait as 'Zed' is responsible for some of the worst acting, dialog and sequences in this film, not even Bailey as 'Harris' can save this turd.

Just to really hammer home the final nail in the coffin, right at the end out of nowhere, Mahoney and Sharon Stone's character are seen floating off together in a customised Police Academy hot air balloon. No explanation about how or where this special balloon came from, its just there, one final silly sequence to really take you out of the moment (if you were in the moment in the first place that is).
AJ V

September 6, 2010
In my opinion this was the last good movie of the Police Academy series. It's still very funny, got the same actors, and it's fun. I liked it.
Luke B

December 17, 2006
I certainly laughed a bit more than I did with the previous sequels. Once again it's all a bit overcrowded, with characters from the previous 3 outings now being mixed together. Bailey is a welcome return as the antagonist, but he is joined by the sidekick of the last two films' villain. This kind of works, as we get the best of both worlds. On top of this we are also given new characters, everyday citizens wanting to help out. This looks interesting at first, with David Spade and a skateboarding buddy forced into the program, but they are soon lost in the background. An entertaining airborne finale is rather impressive as well. So, with Bailey back, and this being Guttenberg's last, this may be a good stopping point for most viewers that made it this far.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 12, 2009
On land, on sea, or in the air, no place is safe from them!
Anthony L

September 28, 2009
Bobcat Goldthwait makes it worth watching but only just!
Lafe F

July 26, 2007
A decent entry in the Police Academy series, before it really started going downhill. Stev Guttenberg was still around. There was plenty of police action on the city streets and a hip title song to keep us all interested.
Dean !

June 23, 2007
Probably the most popular after the original of the series, as all walks of life are free to sign up to become police officers when some hilarious partners put together.
deano
deano

March 12, 2007
This fourth Police Academy series doesn't make me laugh much enough. And this one's most noticeable for having Sharon Stone in a role that will no doubt now make her squirm to think of.
Dann M

April 27, 2014
The laughs keep on coming as Police Academy roles out a fourth installment, Citizens On Patrol. When Commandant Lassard institutes a new program to enlist the citizens' help in fighting crime, the Police Academy opens its doors to a new group of misfits. G.W. Bailey returns to the series as Capt. Harris and brings back some of the charm of the first film. The cast also features appearances by Tony Hawk, David Spade, and Sharon Stone. But the plot still follows the series formula, delivering all of the same old jokes and action beats as the others. Some of it works, some of it doesn't, but on the whole Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol is an entertaining screwball comedy.
Steven V

December 23, 2007
This fourth Police Academy series doesn't make me laugh much enough. There's nothing remotely arresting about these recycled and pointless roguish antics.
Joseph E

April 13, 2007
I Rather enjoyed the fourth installment, more than I ever could've imagined.
May 24, 2013
If this movie teaches us anything, it's that memorable, catchy theme songs are important. Mo, mo, mo...
May 20, 2012
Definitely one of the worst movies from the series. I can't believe Sharon Stone is in the cast's list. At least they brought G.W. Bailey back, but many characters who were added to the series in the last 2 movies should not be in this one. Humor is almost nonexistent in this one. Also the people who played Tackleberry's family in law are not funny.
May 17, 2010
This is the one with David Spade and Randall Tex Cobb? It's not as good as the previous movies, but better than the ones that follow. I wouldn't go to great lengths to look for it, but if it happens to come on cable and you don't have anything else to do I wouldn't blame you for watching it.
HereComeDaAmish
April 25, 2009
Maybe the best of them all. And an unassailable argument against my theory that sequels are usually a bad idea.
November 12, 2006
The only good things to come out of this movie are Sharon Stone, Leslie Easterbrook, and Corinne Bohrer, simply because they are eye candy thoughout the whole picture; even though they only have brief scenes/shots. Otherwise, this movie is just the same running jokes as the first two, with many repeated "favorite" lines.
firstamb
July 9, 2008
Jim Drake Jr. directs this cilly citizen patrol saga where the stars from the first flick train common folks. Better than the last one, but that isn't saying much.
June 16, 2008
As the movie number gets higher, the rating goes down. They manage to keep the characters, but the story is just getting too cheesy now. And plus even the characters are getting boring. I do give some of the actors props for staying in the movies for so long. This movie also brings in some new interesting characters.
ajverser
September 18, 2007
More funny characters are added in the fourth Police Academy movie, which made it better than I thought it would be.
FriendlySmile
July 16, 2007
Always watch the following movie, what Steve Guttenber, Bubba, David Graf and G.W. Bailey next acting move. Funny.