Police Academy 4 - Citizens on Patrol Reviews

½ July 19, 2015
The police commissioner sets up a new program in order to train citizens to act as law enforcement in their neighbourhoods. Of course the recruits are a motley crew of idiots and stereotypes. David Spade, Bubba Smith, Michael Winslow, Bob Goldthwait, and Sharon Stone star. As a child, this was my favourite of all the Police Academy films especially because of the pretty cool stunts.
½ March 9, 2015
Good gravy this is bad. In a way it could be seen as quite an achievement that someone produced such a painfully unfunny film. The truth is that the phrase 'so bad its good' doesn't work with comedies. There's bad then there's worse and Police Academy is getting worse and worse with each installment. How many more of these films were there?
February 25, 2015
One of the all time greats.
½ June 27, 2014
I'm giving it 2.5 stars, just because it was watchable, and apart of the same Police Academy concept... however... there is no fucking story here. It's just scene after scene of gags on Lt. Harris and his second in command(and those gags are all the conflict the film has until the last 20min when some random criminals escape).
It does has its moments... and I still enjoy those Police Academy movies, as it held up its style and substance with the rest. So it was still fun.
June 26, 2014
Best of The Police Academy Movies. Full Bossanova! 5-Stars
June 10, 2014
"Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol", the fourth film in the popular series, has some laughs here and there, but the series started to wear out its welcome. "Police Academy 4" isn't real bad, but some of the humor became too juvenile which was even more evident in the next two "Police Academy" movies. One point of interest: Sharon Stone makes one of her early film appearances here before she hit it big in movies such as "Total Recall", "Basic Instinct", and "Casino".
½ March 31, 2012
Here we go again. Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol, otherwise known as the last film in the series to feature Steve Guttenberg, does more things right than it does wrong, especially compared to the previous sequels in the series. First of all, G.W. Bailey is back, which is a definite improvement, as is the rest of the cast from the previous films and some newcomers that hit the scene in the previous sequel. The story is dumber than the previous sequels by comparison, but it seems to be a bit more fun. Again, the material is more light-hearted and softer than the original film's raunch, but not too shabby. You'll also find, in small parts, up and coming actors David Spade and Sharon Stone. This film REALLY should have been the last in the series. It goes out with a bit of a bang and you'd feel comfortable if it were the last, but even without Guttenberg, they plundered on anyway.
½ April 27, 2014
The laughs keep on coming as Police Academy roles out a fourth installment, Citizens On Patrol. When Commandant Lassard institutes a new program to enlist the citizens' help in fighting crime, the Police Academy opens its doors to a new group of misfits. G.W. Bailey returns to the series as Capt. Harris and brings back some of the charm of the first film. The cast also features appearances by Tony Hawk, David Spade, and Sharon Stone. But the plot still follows the series formula, delivering all of the same old jokes and action beats as the others. Some of it works, some of it doesn't, but on the whole Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol is an entertaining screwball comedy.
August 27, 2013
Well here we are again and its back to training...again!. Yep this fourth time around 'Lassard' calls on his most loyal men to train up a group of civvies for his new programme 'citizens on patrol'. Naturally the resident bad guy (this time its back to 'Harris') doesn't agree with Lassard's plan so he and 'Proctor' are out to foil their plans, so dastardly.

The idea behind this isn't too bad really, its a bit like special volunteer officers which we have here in the UK. So the general concept is sound, the problem is we are back at the academy focusing on training these new civvies and we're seeing all the same stuff all over again!!.

To cut a long story short, seeing as I've explained what happens in the academy for the last three film reviews, we see every character doing their unique thing all over again. This means more martial arts from motormouth 'Jones', 'Callahan' is in the pool getting her huge tits wet, 'Tackleberry' is on the shooting range (where else), 'Sweetchuck' gets thrown around the place a lot, 'Hightower' is on voice commands and 'Mahoney' is lurking around the stereotypical blonde bit of fluff and dishing out his good deed speeches left right n centre.

Everything in this film is virtually a replay on everything we've seen in virtually all of the last three films. The last three got away with it because they were more adult and the idea was still reasonably fresh, no longer does this apply. The whole film is very boring and extremely childish, on top of that nothing makes any sense now, its just bits n pieces thrown together.

Mahoney, Tackleberry and Hightower perform a very elaborate prank on the three young guys simply to prove they aren't ready for the real beat. This whole sequence is completely nonsense, as if you would go to all that trouble for nothing, its total filler that isn't even amusing. There is a fight sequence on a docked ship against some ninjas (!), no idea why this happens or how the officers end up at the docks but hey. I honestly feel they stuck this in simply to utilize 'Nogata' who cameos here, also another martial arts sequence for Jones who appears out of nowhere. He just pops up for this fight from literately nowhere.

Add to that a vast amount of terribly cartoonish visual gags, pratfalls, blatantly obvious stunt doubles, terrible audio dubbing and pretty much no actual main plot (accept for the civvy training crap). There is a jail break midway through which serves as the big finale, this time its in the air with hot air balloons and old biplanes. Now I admit its all performed well with nice aerial stunts and whatnot but its so completely ludicrous. Why on earth would they chase the bad guys in hot air balloons? surely you'd just call in police choppers?? how the hell does everyone seem to be a dab hand at flying biplanes?? why am I even questioning a Police Academy flick?. I might add that Hightower completely disappears for the last half of the film, odd, Bubba must have had better things to do.

This film is quite 'famous' I suppose for a few things, firstly its one of Sharon Stone's early films as she was slowly getting more recognised. Secondly there is a young Tony Hawks in the film showing his skateboarding skills and thirdly there is also a young David Spade as one of the civvy recruits.

This is easily one of the worst PA films in the franchise simply because they reuse every old trick and story sequence idea all over again. Yes I know most of the PA films do this but like I said up to this point in the franchise its been reasonably fresh. This just feels terribly dull, uninspired and has some of the worst 'comedy' I've seen, you can't even call it slapstick, its just shit. Goldthwait as 'Zed' is responsible for some of the worst acting, dialog and sequences in this film, not even Bailey as 'Harris' can save this turd.

Just to really hammer home the final nail in the coffin, right at the end out of nowhere, Mahoney and Sharon Stone's character are seen floating off together in a customised Police Academy hot air balloon. No explanation about how or where this special balloon came from, its just there, one final silly sequence to really take you out of the moment (if you were in the moment in the first place that is).
½ July 1, 2013
This sequel to the Police Academy is the weakest one yet. The story follows the Moronic Recruits as they train citizens to become crime aware. Cpt. Harris is all negative and thinks its a bad idea. The film has fewer laughes and more stuff we do not want. The climax is good like the last one but there isnt anything else that could make this film better.
I have a bad feeling about the next 3.

69/100 C+
½ June 12, 2013
I don't know how this got to four installments but it did.
May 24, 2013
If this movie teaches us anything, it's that memorable, catchy theme songs are important. Mo, mo, mo...
July 7, 2007
This is where it really reached new heights of lameness. How did they manage to drag this train wreck out for so long?
June 19, 2012
I own this in a seven movie pack along with:
* Police Academy (1984)
* Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985)
* Police Academy 3: Back In Training (1986)
* Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach (1988)
* Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989)
* Police Academy: Mission To Moscow (1994)
January 6, 2013
The best one since the first! Which is saying pretty much nothing.
½ December 18, 2012
Better than you think, fun, surprisingly funny, and an improvement over the last few sequels.
December 9, 2012