Polish Wedding Reviews

½ June 5, 2007
Pretty well done. Loved Danes vulnerability throughout film.
December 31, 2010
Polish Wedding is a largely forgettable movie about a free spirited girl, Hala (Claire Danes), and her earthy, sensual mom, Jadzia (Lena Olin) and sad sack father, Bolek (Gabriel Byrne). Hala runs the streets at night, while her mom is having an affair with a guy at work, and her dad sits at home and mopes. The polish accents sounded forced, and were entirely unnecessary, but must have been meant to emphasize that these people were outsiders. This viewer found them annoying. The story followed a fairly predictable arc and the only thing that kept this viewer engaged was the radiant beauty of Ms Danes. Three stars, just for her.
May 28, 2008
Cute. Lena Olin and Claire Danes are very good in this.
May 18, 2007
I thought this movie was VERY VERY Good. Claire Danes looked beautiful in it. Very pretty. I loved how they had so much white in it and at the end the mother was wearing Red. I love symbolism. I wish I knew what the director was thinking. I love big family movies. It makes my growing up life seem normal. Was the wife in the movie the same mother from Charmed? I loved Gabriel Byrne. When is he not good?
December 1, 2007
it wasn't as good as I hap hoped it would be, Claire Danes did a good job as always but The movie just wasn't that funny
April 13, 2007
I just love Lena Olin, what can I say? But. . . it's also nice to see that Hamtramck is featured (albeit some didn't like the portrayl at the time it was shot here).
½ September 1, 2013
claire danes hai rotto il cazzo con i tuoi ruoli da white privileged.
June 21, 2013
Friday, June 21, 2013

(1998) Polish Wedding
COMEDY DRAMA

Plot less movie written by Theresa Connelly centering on a Polish family living in Detroit centering on Hala(Claire Danes) who's eventual relationship with a cop, Bolek (Gabriel Byrne) who makes bread for a living but is not satisfying his wife Jadzia played by Leno Olin who's speaking English with a bad Polish accent. they're living with 3 or 4 other older siblings and one brother who is the youngest. The movie is supposed to be a comedy but the thing is that I haven't laughed at a single scene throughout since the laughs doesn't consist of any surprises. Plus because it's called "Polish Wedding" their isn't a single thing mentioned about what this Polish family had done or used to do as Polish people- Polish culture is never shown except for one scene but it was already too little too late and clumsily uninvolving regarding carrying a wreath by the Claire Danes character. And because they're no real grimacing parts, I ended not hating the film but at the same time not liking it either.

2 out of 4 stars
January 5, 2010
This film was lacking in many ways but I couldn't help but be interested in the day to day lives of this family of Polish immigrants living in Detroit.

The story was lovingly if awkwardly written but the acting from the three main characters: Yadviga (Lena Olin), Bolec (Gabriel Byrne), and Halla (Claire Danes) was brilliant as they always are even if the movies they are in aren't. Bolec (the patriarch) is tired and loving and sometimes generally ignored by his tempestuous wife, the mother proud and unforgiving and having an affair with a wealthy man, and the daughter is sneaking out at night "getting herself into trouble." It's a typical story, but it has heart.

Verdict: if you catch it on cable give it a try. It's alright.
½ October 20, 2006
Here's another film rating.