Total Recall: Hayao Miyazaki's Best Movies

Summary

Hayao Miyazaki's last three films (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle) platformed in America to mild success. For his 10th and latest movie, Ponyo (the story of an ocean goldfish and her quest to become human), Disney will be granting it a more confident, nationwide release this Friday. Frankly, the more opportunity America gets to see a Miyazaki movie, the better: they expertly breach multiple genres and fulfill the visual promise of hand-drawn animation. But they also feel deeply personal. Always directing from his own scripts, Miyazaki can take any story and mold it to his likeness, creating across 10 films a thematically consistent, rich and rewarding universe. This week's Total Recall explores the career of Hayao Miyazaki, animation's grand auteur. Back to Article

Comments

August M.

Agustin Macias

People say it was good, just not as interesting as his better films, like Cars is to Pixar

Aug 13 - 12:10 AM

Gonzobot -.

Gonzobot -

Gotta say, I'm so glad that Disney decided to take on licensing for all the Ghibli films...nobody else would have given the care to the translation and voice work, and would have resulted in an entire country's worth of films being ignored for even longer >.< Love ALL of Miyazaki's work, as do my kids. I've purposefully NOT done any digging online for a Japanese copy, as my daughter (5 years old!) actually asked me to take her to see it, after seeing the previews for it. We almost can't wait to go.

And for those who know, Earthsea was actually pretty good too...not up to the author's standards (but she thinks nobody can do her world like she can, apparently) although the son has a VERY long way to go to catch up to the skills of the father.

Aug 13 - 12:25 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

For best effect though, rather get the DVD and watch the movie with the original Japanese voices. Howl's English version was pretty much ruined by the voices.

Aug 13 - 12:46 AM

JTurner82

Jon Turner

Well believe it or not some people actually like the dubs Disney made for these movies, among them is, believe it or not, Hayao Miyazaki himself. He doesn't think the dubs compromise his movies, and frankly, from watching all of them, I feel that they are all very well done... to the point where I don't even feel like watching the Japanese versions at all, because there's so much to enjoy in the English versions: Phil Hartman as Jiji in [i]Kiki[/i], Luke Skywalker and Mrs. Skinner as Muska and Dola in [i]Castle in the Sky[/i] as well as Joe Hisaishi's own rescore, Keith David and Neil Gaiman's script of [i]Princess Mononoke[/i], the casting of the Fanning sisters (little Mei especially) in [i]Totoro[/i] (I like the FOX dub too, but Disney's is no disgrace to the film at all), Kimberly Williams-Paisley in [i]Porco Rosso[/i], Billy Crystal in [i]Howl's Moving Castle[/i], Patrick Stewart in [i]Nausicaa[/i]... the list goes on and on. So I'm sorry, but I'd rather watch these movies in English any day.

Aug 13 - 11:27 AM

Stephen L.

Stephen Lewis

I agree Howl is the worst but you should check out the book it was based on. Pretty damn good.

Aug 13 - 01:31 AM

Zeiram D.

Zeiram Depadon

I'm so happy that this man is FINALLY getting the recognition he so wonderfully deserved. He is one of the greatest film makers of all time. Period. If you don't know that already, one need only watch his films to grasp their full power. Sure, everyone knows that when Miyazaki won the Oscar back in 03 he became a little more well known than he already was (at least well beyond the animé circles he inhabited up to that point--especially here in the states). But things are totally different now. He has truly entered the mainstream as "Panyo" is getting a wide North American release! Way to go Disney and John Lasseter for bringing Miyazaki-san's work to a larger audience. I will be there opening day.

When I saw Princess Mononoke on the big screen I was riveted. To this day it remains the most immersive movie going experience of my entire life. As if you didn't already know, his movies are not just for children. It takes a real sense of great wisdom and wonderment to craft such complex and timeless stories. When you're a child growing up you can watch Totoro and enjoy the fun. As a grown up you can see things from the mom and dad's point of view. I cry just thinking about it. And this is coming from a person who likes movies like Pulp Fiction, Bound, The Matrix, Wild Things, Blue Velvet, Muholland Drive, True Romance, From Dusk Till Dawn, Million Dollar Baby, Natural Born Killers, Platoon, Ghandi, The Deer Hunter, Deliverance, The Third Man and The Seventh Seal... So you see grown ups, his movies don't just appeal to people in training diapers. I doubt people like that would understand Princess Mononoke anyways.

Aug 13 - 04:27 AM

ybrik222

Someone Someone

@Zeiram D

Stop being so pretentious.

Aug 14 - 11:16 AM

Zeiram D.

Zeiram Depadon

I mispelled Gandhi didn't I?

Aug 13 - 04:29 AM

Angelika C.

Angelika Chifor

I'm just glad to hear that Miyazaki has decided to make more movies and put off retiring. I know he is old and all, but he makes the best, most beautiful movies. I have seen Totoro, Kiki, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and some of Mononoke, and I have to say Spirited Away is my favourite movie of all time, anime or not. Howl was also amazing though, so is the book. Anyways, he is a true master and I hope Ponyo rocks.

Aug 13 - 05:54 AM

Angelika C.

Angelika Chifor

HAYAO MIYAZAKI'S FILMS MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A HUMAN!

Aug 13 - 06:00 AM

vitajex

Mike M

Has anybody seen Miyazaki's son's movie, 'Tales from Earthsea'?

I can't find it anywhere and I'm wondering if it's any good. It was based on the novel written by the lady who wrote 'The Lathe of Heaven'.

Aug 13 - 07:21 AM

tfortier

Thierry Fortier

Tales from earthsea reviews were quite bad. I didnt see it.

For me, Naussica is first, then totoro, and equals are Spirited Away and Mononoke. Porco Rosso sometime get first, depending on my mood, and Kiki is amazing none the less.

Miyazaki is the best living human being! Even Spielberg do **** now.

Aug 13 - 07:38 AM

Kimmycat24

Kimberly Gibson

My favorie Miyazaki movies are Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Kiki's Delivery Service. I am interested in seeing Ponyo.

Aug 13 - 08:56 AM

ahalsell

Allen Halsell

It's inconceivable to me that people here haven't seen 'My Neighbor Totoro.' Granted it was the first Miyazaki film I saw, but it's a classic. There's a great conversation out there between Miyazaki and Akira Kurosawa about the movie.

The Fox dub is still the best ;)

Aug 13 - 09:31 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Porco Rosso is NOT awful!

Aug 13 - 09:33 AM

Garbo D.

Garbo Disko

Ponyo came out a long time ago- I've had it on dvd for a year now, bought the collection last year.Totoro and Spirited Away are the best. Totoro is surprising cause it's older than me and the most depressing movie I've seen is The Grave of the Fireflies only saw it once like 5 -6 years ago and haven't dared see it again-it's horrible! Buy the dvd and see it in japanese with english subtitles in my opinion the english dub ruins the whole experience.

Aug 13 - 09:42 AM

Garbo D.

Garbo Disko

oh yeah and kiki's delivery service rules!!

Aug 13 - 09:42 AM

spitting into the wind

ciaran kelly

I personally think that Spirited Away is one of the most beautiful, touching, absorbing movies I have ever seen.
It is visually stunning and as has been mentioned, does feel like being on a trip.
I was shocked to see it didnt have a 100% rating.
I wonder who the miserable S.O.B's were who couldn't actually enjoy that movie.
Both Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle are both also masterpieces.
Just not quite as stupendous as Spirited Away.
The man is a genius. I have been meaning to watch Porco Rosso for an age now.

Aug 13 - 09:55 AM

1990 M.

1990 Miyazaki

this isn't miyazaki's movie,it's a movie of his partner,it has nothing to do with miyazaki.so please learn something then talk about it.

Aug 13 - 10:25 AM

Scarborough Fair

Kyle Beaudette

Trust Jesus

Aug 13 - 10:32 AM

Premo Beat

John Noto

I think someone should start a petition to get Miyazaki to do an animated Legend of Zelda film immediately. What do you guys think?

Aug 13 - 10:54 AM

JTurner82

Jon Turner

Aug 13 - 11:27 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships