Ponyo

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Ponyo Reviews

August 17, 2014
It is interesting and captures really beautifully the character of a small child discovering the world. I'm just missing the touch of a deeper meaning.
May 28, 2012
KAWWWWAAAAIII!!!! Soo Cute.
January 28, 2011
(First and only viewing - 1/28/2011)
July 27, 2014
I think a lot of people overanalyze Ponyo; it's not Miyazaki's best, but it is a delight in many ways with strong characters, excellent animation and boundless imagination. I will concede that it's slow in parts and is also kind of creepy as well. Slow pacing often works in this kind of film, but here it felt unnecessary in a few places (for instance, the scene with Sosuke and Ponyo riding on the toy boat and the scene where they eat dinner).
Bradley T. Johnson
Bradley T. Johnson

June 11, 2010
Rereview: Wow I absolutely love this film. Practically perfect family entertainment and a film that should be a classic for the ages. Beautiful, touching, gorgeous, humorous, and heart swelling. Ponyo isn't as complex as Spirited Away but is somewhat better because of it. Miyazaki is a genius. Rating: 96
Matt B.
July 6, 2014
4 stars but 5 if you're watching in japanese with overdubs. The "inspired choice" of using big-name hollywood actors for voices, a rising tradition in big-budget animations, fails here. In Japan, voice-acting is a respected and coveted discipline, and the artistic integrity of it is important. In Japanese, the voices were appropriate and made me laugh, or cry, at moments, purely on delivery alone. In english, the voice acting was 'ok' at best, and distracting (Liam Neeson) at worst.
Visually this is a stunning film, and the plot, while it loses something in it's third quarter, is at least original, despite it's origins.
You can't really trump a Miyazaki film for explorative imaginative scenes, and the best of these are during the water-boating/flood sequences, with a plethora of extinct sealife exposed.
Despite a weak end and lack of an antagonist or any real danger, a solid recommend from me. Just watch in Japanese if you can deal with subtitles.
August 11, 2009
A wonderful, if occasionally schizophrenic outing from Studio Ghibli. Perhaps the best film I've seen from them that is suited more to children of all ages and backgrounds - where other films from Ghibli tend to be enjoyed more so hip young adults. Ultimately a lovely story about friendship and connection - with a little nod to environmental concerns of the present.
July 3, 2014
I have this disc at home. Its a great summer film to just get swept up in!
blackcecily
March 9, 2010
Very artistic and causes a few wtf were they smokin when they made this moments but other then that it was actually quite enjoyable.
June 27, 2014
One of the worst movies i've ever seen, probably the worst. Don't get me wrong, I like anime but this was just the stupidest, retarded movie i've ever seen.
June 26, 2014
Although it is far more cutesy and has a story that is a lot less deep and complex as past Miyazaki films, Ponyo is still unbelievably animated and it is so charming and adorable, I probably said "awww" more then enough times.
June 22, 2014
it was a sweet movie
June 17, 2014
The animation is not at it's highest peek in this Miyazaki film, but Ponyo is still a creative, fun, and cute story that manages to keep you entertained.
June 10, 2014
This movie has it's strange moments, but it's enchanting just the same. Another great Hayo Miyazaki film.
The Tornado
June 10, 2014
A cute, magical and poetic animation that will touch both children and adults. For me, the disappointment was the ending, which wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. Still, "Ponyo" remains a great animated film from Hayao Miyazaki.
Ben D.
June 4, 2014
Gorgeously animated, cute, and adorable, Ponyo is a wonderfully sweet and funny kids film, making for another win for Miyazaki.
June 3, 2014
Even as a ten year old kid I didn't like this movie that much.
May 28, 2014
Very imaginative and visually stunning.
April 23, 2014
Such a cute Japanese aname. My son likes it too.