97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

The Pope of Greenwich Village Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

May 16, 2008
Rourke is okay but Eric Roberts character is so annoying that you can't wait for the film to end. Geraldine Page was a great actress but an Oscar nomination for this?
Bill D 2007
Bill D 2007

March 5, 2012
I've only been trying to see this movie for 20 years. It finally came to the top of my netflix queue. What a wonderful little movie this is -- and so authentically New York. This is probably the last real New York movie before the bizarre and depressing takeover by the WASP haute bourgeoisie that started in the 1990s and has now been complete -- at least in Manhattan.

The real New York is now only in Brooklyn and the rest of the outer boroughs. But if you want a taste of what real Manhattan used to be, check this film out. It oozes love of NY from every pore.

It's a bit slow at times. The editing could have been more taut. But the story is fantastic, focusing in on two lower-class neighborhood boys (played beautifully by Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts) whose deep love of each other is challenged by a series of excruciating complications that stem from their pathetic attempt at a heist.

This film should be thought of as a companion to 'The Godfather.' The supporting cast is incredibly good, including Geraldine Page and a large group of unknown actors. Director Stuart Rosenberg ("Cool Hand Luke," "The Drowning Pool"), who died in 2007, deserved more recognition than he got for this. Thank you, Mr. Rosenberg, for this touching NY gem.

My favorite line from the movie: "WASPs, they outgrow people. Italians, we outgrow clothes, not people."
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

November 30, 2011
Two restaurateurs turned thieves pull off a heist but anger the mob.
Mickey Rourke was damn attractive in his younger days, and his talent, on full display in this film, makes his career's eventual fizzle all the more tragic. His performance in this film doesn't sink to the depths of cliche the way some New York gangster portrayals do, remaining subtle, understated, and honest. Eric Roberts complements him perfectly with a performance that dances back and forth and around the line between over-acting and portraying a crazy character.
The film, however, ends without resolving many of the conflicts it constructed along the way, and the deus ex machnia is so obvious that it's almost unpredictable. I would have been okay with the ending if the rest of the film didn't have so much grit, epitomized by Rourke who always seems like he's one step away from insanity.
Overall, see this film to appreciate Rourke, what he was, what he still is in films like The Wrestler, and what he could have been.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

January 6, 2010
Substandard; Roberts overacts; Rourke overbroods; predictably plotted; haphazardly directed. Other than Page, no one bothered to realistically convey emotion.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

June 22, 2008
This film almost lost me with how utterly annoying Eric Roberts is in it. But, he's an integral part of this story about family bonds and friendship and a burglary-gone-wrong in the center of it all. Rourke was a rising star at this point and showcased his trademark smooth style. Points also for Frank Vincent being in this.
Lanning :

April 28, 2006
The summer wind came blowing in across the sea . . .

Mickey Rourke's best performance ever. Might be Eric Roberts best ever as well. Can't beat that Sinatra sound. This is another one that looks back at Saturday Night Fever.
nickymo89
nickymo89

March 14, 2009
Decent family/mob-ish movie based in New York's Little Italy in the mid 80's. Mickey Rourke is fantastic and Eric Roberts shows a flair for where he could have gone as an actor (even though his character is BEYOND annoying) and great to see Burt Young chewing up the scenery as Bedbug Eddie. The problem with this film is the overall timing and lack of any sort of rythm. At times, it goes completely over the top. It has also dated rather poorly particularly when compared to the other more impressive mob flicks.
April 28, 2013
This is a classic, and one of my all-time favorite movies. Eric Roberts' performance should have won him an award. I think it's his best performance ever, as he plays his over-the-top character with high energy and a wide range of emotions as he blunders from one situation to another. The interplay between he and Mickey Rourke's character as cousins is endearing, though dysfunctional. There are many other great performances in this movie worth mentioning, like Geraldine Page and Mickey Rourke, of course. I watched this movie several times in the 80's, and not again until this year, and was surprise how well it stands the test of time.
rodjeckrich
January 18, 2013
Eric Roberts is a total stooge in this. This is one where I have heard many people cite this as a favorite and subsequently one that I don't feel the same about but don't think that it sucks..
Will Errickson
April 30, 2012
This was a lot of serious fun. Mickey Rourke is fantastic as a down-on-his-luck Irish-Italian kid whose irresponsible, probably crazy cousin, played by Eric Roberts in a bizarre performance, just lost them their jobs in a crooked Greenwich Village Italian restaurant. Things get worse from there, involving the local Mafia and corrupt cops. Fantastic NYC color, good soundtrack--only very minimally '80s--and terrific supporting cast with lots of solid character actors, and an Oscar-nominated eight minutes of screen time from Geraldine Page. This is an overlooked movie that should be rediscovered!
Philliesking34
January 17, 2012
It's got everything,a Mytery-Suspensful,Drmactic Comedy. With a great story and a fantastic plot,and also great acting.
Brody M

May 23, 2011
Great movie with a young Mickey Rourke & a very young Eric Roberts with a fro.I haven't seen to many of Rourke's early movies but this must've been when he was still a good actor because most of the movies I've ever seen him in have been garbage.Something about the ending of this movie felt a little bit off for me.
May 3, 2010
barisi22v
September 4, 2008
along with the saint of fort washington, one of my favourites of all time.. though i wont say the best of all time.
MovieGuruDude72
April 14, 2008
First off, Mickey Rourke looks about as Italian as Richard Pryor. Secondly, simply having Eric Roberts in the cast list automatically reduces your film to B-Movie status. This was so bad I didn't even finish it. Don't tell me the ending, unless you want me to fall asleep on you.
ouisch27
October 20, 2006
Great performances all around in this charming picture. A mob picture dealing with the daily lives of small timers. Eric Robersts steals the show
filmlover1994
April 15, 2014
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
June 14, 2013
This movie has more heart than "Mean Streets" or "Goodfellas" . Unfortunately, "The Pope of Greenwich Village" is often overlooked or forgotten. Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts deliver career-best performances. The supporting cast, with the exception of Daryl Hannah, is near perfect. From Charlie and Paulie's check scams, and even when they progress to big time thieves, nothing can shake their loyalty. If you enjoy small time mob films, "The Pope of Greenwich Village" is well acted, with a great script. This two hour movie flies by leaving the viewer wishing for more. A great night's entertainment. Highly recommended.
June 12, 2013
Well acting delivered by two main young, then promising, stars. Enjoyable film with humor/sarcasm filling. Some sort of parody on those young people who want it all at the same time.