—— The Identical Sep 05

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Populaire Reviews

August 20, 2014
Adorable retro comedy that, being french, is sufficiently sexualized to tiptap on the head of hollywoodian light romance counterparts of today. Smart and sexy.
July 30, 2014
As someone who grew up watching Jimmy Stewart, Kathryn Hepburn, Cary Grant... I loved this NEW french film set in the 1950's - witty and romantic. Aaron liked it too, and he's not as crazy as I am about old movies.
July 26, 2014
A solid sweet comedy!! The film keeps going despite a predictable script/outcome & a girl from Bas Normadie takes the world championship! Great music accompaniment (unexpected!! Tango/Cha cha in France?!) Best line: "America for business, France for love!!"
July 22, 2014
An adorable movie that is well acted, with likable characters, and fun.
June 24, 2014
Comedia romantica francesa que recupera lo mejor de la era del oro hollywoodense. Bien podria haber sido interpretada en su momento por Cary Grant y Audrey Hepburn, con quien los personajes principales guardan mas de una relacion. Los creditos iniciales simulan los de las comedias de Blake Edwards tipo The Party o The Pink Panther. Para romanticos tan rosa como la populaire de Pamphyle y nostalgicos del star system y el show business clasico. A ratos parce un capitulo alargado de Hechizada (Bewitched).
June 22, 2014
"Populaire" es una comedia romántica ambientada a finales de los años 50 protagonizada por la exquisita Deborah Francois acerca de una joven con un sueño que termina en un romance con su jefe y en una competencia a nivel mundial de mecanografía. El director Regis Roinsard cuida con sumo detalle el ambiente de la época que nos lleva a una época tan bella como simple.
momatduke
May 15, 2014
Ridiculously cute. It captures the era both in culture and film making. The actors are charismatic. Actually, I'm going with ridiculously charismatic.
April 9, 2014
visually cute at times; ultimately lacking in substance, and a little too self conscious
March 16, 2014
C'est Magnifique! I adored every minute of this, I get to one of the films being shown during the Sydney French Film Festival each year and this was the pick for 2014 and as usual it was brilliant. This was like a romantic comedy from the thirties, predictable but quirky, funny and clever with a touch of melodrama that only the French can pull off. Gorgeous costumes, lovely colours and really, really cool typewriters! This film makes typing interesting, even I dare say, thrilling - quite a feat!
February 26, 2014
A well-presented, tidy little farce that entertains.
February 23, 2014
Expected, but beautifully executed and charming in every details...
January 18, 2014
Populaire à le défaut de trop ressembler à un film américain. Charmant dans l'ensemble le film ne s'élève jamais beaucoup au-dessus de ce qualificatif. Pas un mauvais moment de cinéma, mais un moment vite oublié.
January 14, 2014
A simple yet charming film, in a very French way. Everything is simple, from the 1950s setting to the plot and the characters, and of course no twist-and-turn whatsoever. Still, the rapid typing "sport" (!) can bring joy to audience through the light-hearted and somehow innocent acting by Duris and François. The costume design is also perfect for this film with simple but very elegant designs that can make any pretentious Hollywood film look miserable. A joy to watch.
January 2, 2014
French romantic comedy set in the late 50's. Rose Pamphyle is a 21 year old girl, daughter of a village grumpy businessman; determined not to marry the son of the local mechanic she travels to Lysieux and applies for a job as a secretary in a small insurance firm where the boss, Louis Echard notices how fast she can type despite her lack of secretarial skills. Highly driven and emotionally damaged Louis decides to take a chance on her and trains her for typing competitions. Along the way feelings for each other start to surface interfering with the Rose's progress.
This is a movie that has it all, beautiful locations, glossy colours, well researched sceneries and costumes and a relatively rare subject: typing competitions which apparently were extremely popular at the time. It has good lead actors and a director that clearly believed in the story he was making. Some parts of the film remind us of a sports movie, not only because typing was almost a sport but also because of the strong sense of rivalry between participants. The conception of this film has a solid Hollywood influence but without the obvious clichés that can be a little annoying sometimes, so we get quality storytelling but without a moral lesson.
It is good fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
December 27, 2013
Jolly romantic romp with added nostalgia for those who actually remember how physical the simple act of typing used to be. Does a brave job in making that mundane activity cinematic enough to be interesting. Period detail in set design and art direction achingly good. Other period details not so accurate. Nobody gave anyone the finger in 1958, not even American typing champions.
December 26, 2013
Ah-dor-ahbluh! A perfect period romantic comedy centered around a typing competition. They had me from the opening credits on.
December 25, 2013
Really liked this romantic comedy with a good sense of the '50s. Direction is pretty good and the actors sustain the plot in a very believable way. The plot is well built and (apart from a couple of moments toward the end IMHO) everything runs smoothly and well anchored to the progress of the "modern woman" as seen in those years. The characters are nice and the whole movie ends leaving you quite satisfied.
December 15, 2013
Il y a vraiment des répliques brillantes dans populaire, un sens du rythme remarquable. On sourit, on grimace d'incompréhension devant Romain Duris excellent dans son obsession mais qui semble avoir tellement de mal à comprendre sa protégée. Déborah François est excellente dans le rôle un peu potiche mais émouvante et qui s'affirme dans la progression du film. Romain Duris épatant dans un rôle ou il fait tellement sérieux et sévère. Vraiment un très bon film sur cette histoire d'un passé quasi méconnu aujourd'hui mais tellement surprenant.
December 8, 2013
A one line, dry plot, presented with strong visuals and backed by beautiful performance.
December 1, 2013
This movie, while good, didn't really click for me. The visual style, and presentation, is certainly very charming, but the film's script is very uneven. It's clear that the film is a tribute to old 50s movies, like something Audrey Hepburn would appear in. It's basically a tribute to a time in film that's long gone, and the movie pulls it off very well I thought. The film, other than the fact that it's in color, looks like it could've come straight out of the 50s. The problem is that in concentrating so much of the film on how everything looks and how it sounds, the set design, the costume design, and trying to make sure it feels like it could've come from the 50s, they forgot that they actually had to make the movie, the story, and its characters interesting. The leads are quite good, Deborah Francois has that old Hollywood starlet feel. She's definitely no Audrey Hepburn, but she has that same type of likable charm and presence, and that's exactly what the film needed. She's certainly the highlight of the film. Romain Duris is fine too, but I found his character to be a little uninteresting, especially when compared to Deborah. He's certainly good, but I wasn't a big fan of how his character was handled. The movie lacks substance, it never really feels like these two are falling in love. It really is concentrated in style of substance and actual character development, and that's the film's biggest downfall. Your film can have the best set design, the costume design, the best score...but if your story isn't interesting then all that, while it's not unimportant, is wasted. You went through all that work trying to make the film look and film genuine, that you forgot the most important part of the film, the part that matters most in the long run, and that's the story and the characters. And I don't mean to say the film's bad, as implied by the score I gave it, the cast is solid and the film is, visually, very charming. It just should've been much better considering how much work went into everything else. Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't into this movie that much. It wasn't exactly an interesting story or an heartwarming love story, it's still a perfectly solid movie.