40% As Above/So Below Aug 29

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Poseidon Reviews

John M

May 11, 2008
Classic remake that comes out pretty decent. I liked the original more but this was not a bad rent.
blkbomb
blkbomb

December 27, 2012
Robert Ramsey: You know, there's nothing fair about who lives and dies. You gave Elena a chance. You gave everybody a chance.

"Mayday"

Poseidon is one of those disaster movies that worries about visual effects over actual human interaction or feeling. Most of the movies that fill this genre are like Poseidon in that regard and that's where the problem lies in most of them. So visual effects and big action sequences must take over and propel the movie to watchable in order to find entertainment in it. Movies like 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow are examples of disaster movies that work despite not having a great human element involved. Poseidon's cool effects and big water scenes make the movie watchable, but nothing more.

A ship is flipped by a huge rouge wave. When the captain of the ship tells everyone to stay in lobby and promises them safety, a small group of passengers rebel and leave the group. They begin to make their way up the ship to the bottom of the ship, which is now the top. Along the way, they have to deal with fires, water, and narrow spaces. It basically winds up being close call after close call, and every once in awhile a character will drop off.

The cast isn't too bad here. Kurt Russell, Josh Lucas, Richard Dreyfus, and Emmy Rossum make for decent main characters. The supporting cast that is assembled around them isn't terrible either. The movie isn't really about acting though, it's about the visuals and the visuals don't disappoint. Where the movie disappoints is when the actors actually have to speak to one another and we have to listen to their dumbed down dialogue.

Overall, I'm pretty much indifferent on this one. I don't necessarily like it nor do I dislike it. It's one of those movies where I just can't form a true opinion on it. I realize it's not a great movie, but I also won't blast it like just about every one else. I'm just going to put myself directly in the middle on this one.
Apeneck F

July 18, 2007
Blueprinted nearly scene by scene from the 1972 original, this remake has more action and better effects as 34 years might enable. Similarly less time is spent on characterization (who cares about that crap anymore?), but the result is still claustrophobic thrills.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 5, 2009
Mayday

Saw it again! Good Movie. Very fun and thrilling movie meant to be watch and enjoyed. Very beautiful woman in this film too.

It is New Year's Eve, and over 2,000 passengers & crew are ringing in the New Year aboard the huge cruise ship 'Poseidon' on the open sea in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean! A small group of survivors find themselves unlikely allies in a battle for their lives. Preferring to test the odds alone, career gambler Dylan Johns ignores captain's orders to wait below for possible rescue and sets out to find his own way to safety. What begins as a solo mission soon draws others, as Dylan is followed by a desperate father searching for his daughter and her fiancee--a young couple who hours before couldn't summon the courage to tell him they were engaged and now face much graver challenges. Along the way they are joined by a single mother and her wise-beyond-his-years son, an anxious stowaway and a despondent fellow passenger who boarded the ship not sure he wanted to live but now knows he doesn't want to die. Determined to fight their way to the surface, the group sets off through the disorienting maze of twisted steel in the upside-down wreckage. As the unstable vessel rapidly fills with water each must draw on skills and strengths they didn't even know they possessed, fighting against time for their own survival and for each other.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 7, 2011
Remake of The superb disaster film The Poseidon Adventure is a horrible mess of a film. I really think that Wolfgang Peterson has made the worst film of his career with this film, and as far as an action film is concerned, there's absolutely nothing great about it. All the characters are pointless, idiotic and annoying. The acting is awful and the directing, well like I said, this is Peterson's worst effort to date. Everything about this film feels wrong. I thought the film didn't really live up to anything, and you end up not caring if the characters live or die. I felt that the cast was awful and there's nothing to redeem the film. The film really relies on its nifty special effects, and beyond that, there's nothing else. There's no consistency to the material, and I became bored after a while. After a while, I really didn't care for this film and I wondered why I kept watching it. The only thing going for it is the special effects. There's no genuine human drama like we felt in the original and I don't understand why they made this horrid film. Another wasted, unnecessary remake. Considering that the first film is such a classic, this remake spits in its face. A horrible film with nothing good, but a good sense of visuals. Disaster films aren't really good anymore, and remaking The Poseidon Adventure is quite the disaster, in fact, this very remake is the exact definition of a disaster film. A horrible waste of time.
Alexander D

August 4, 2011
A terrible remake of one of the greatest disaster films ever to be made. Not worth watching, unless you love seeing an awful vocal performance by Fergie (as usual) and the intended-to-be-ironically-cast Richard Dreyfuss (who is much older and does a dumb performance in comparison to his role in JAWS). Not to say there weren't one or two good parts...
Dean !

April 29, 2007
A cool popcorn version update of the original.
Matt G

January 23, 2011
Yes, this film had it's flaws. Yes, this film differed much from the original. Yes, the character development was paper thin. But I can't help to enjoy it, it is a sloppy, messy piece of fun.

Grade: B+
KJ P

February 4, 2010
Very poor! A total rip-off of titanic in a bad way!
Conner R

November 19, 2009
A disaster of a disaster movie. Poseidon is an unwarranted action movie that feels like an updated version of Titanic. While it has some decent acting, it is irrelevant when a plot was as bat as this. Next to Godzilla, this is Emmerich's worst film. It doesn't have the fun of his other films.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
Sea-sickening remake.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
The original is one of my favorite movies of its kind, so I couldn't have been more hyped to see this one. Looks like most people didn't appreciate it, but I did! It's not as good as the original but it's no clunker either!
Jani H

December 28, 2007
"Oh my God... No!"

Once again, I've got to remind you all of my dislike about remakes. 'Poseidon' is a remake of a film conveniently called 'Poseidon Adventure' from '72. The original may have had some "adventure" in it but this film made by Wolfgang Petersen, who's work can be very uneven, is nothing short of a disaster. But then again, the film does belong to the disaster genre.

First of all, the original wasn't that spectacular so why do it all over? There's really nothing new that can be said or made about boats getting in to shitty situations. 'Titanic' did it all very well, not that I consider it to be a masterpiece, but 'Poseidon' is so full of clichés that I find nothing of interest in it. Even clichés can be made in an interesting way but the only REALLY interesting thing about this all is to know where did all the money go? The production budget was an amazing 160 million USD's! My God...

Another thing is the cast. If you want to get the audience to watch a summer disaster, blockbuster, whatever you wanna call it, I'd assemble together a better cast then the one in 'Poseidon'. Kurt Russell, Richard Dreyfuss and Josh Lucas are more or less well known names but they aren't so called "A-list stars". Dreyfuss was on the top of his game in the 70's and 80's and is a respectable actor, but I'd prefer if he'd decided to sit this one out...

So what do we get for 160 million? A lame, unsurprising script, an OK cast, a dead Black Eyed Pea and decent effects. Worth it all? Hell no. A film that should not have been made.
skactopus
skactopus

April 22, 2009
Wolfgang Petersen is in the midst of a string of thrillers, whether it is action adventure or drama sci-fi. Poseidon may not sound like anything original, but that doesn't mean it is a bad film.There is nothing much to the plot and the buildup isn't that great. On the other hand, the film gets to the good stuff very quickly, which is probably why the film is just over 90 minutes. So, after a brief 15 minutes of unimpressive character introductions, there is a sharp turn as disaster strikes. From here on out, it is all suspenseful sequence after suspenseful sequence. This makes sense, since it is basically a group of characters racing water.The disaster itself is pretty entertaining and a treat to watch. The stuff that is shown during these scenes isn't necessarily R-rated material, but it is close. It is definitely a little more than I was expecting to see in a PG-13 movie. Anyway, the suspense scenes that appear throughout the film are suspenseful, despite being somewhat unbelievable at times.The acting is OK, with the exception of Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss who are good. Josh Lucas isn't that great as the lead and there are a couple characters that are just annoying. In the end, the lack of buildup for the characters really hurt.Poseidon is a film for fans of suspense and big disasters. Just think of it as a Daylight, but with less interesting characters.
Edward B

October 20, 2006
How many times have we seen ships or rooms fill up with water? How many times have we had to watch people running around these rooms trying to escape. Why should I have to sit through another one that takes no chances and uses its characters as nothing more than plot devices?
Jens S

June 13, 2006
A remake of a catastrophe film classic filmed by a director who regularly does films about ships doesn't sound like the most original idea ever but surely not like something that can go horribly wrong either. And that's exactly what the result is like: well done popcorn entertainment with several flaws on the story writing level. While it can be seen as a good thing that the film doesn't need much time to get to the rogue wave that gets the excellent first action sequence starting we don't learn much about the main characters before that. And neither do we afterwards. The only reason to care about their survival is pretty much the sympathy you have for the actor in general, which shouldn't be entirely the point of a film. To waste a great actor like Richard Dreyfus, who is in it for the whole distance, mind you, by saying no more than ten sentences in 100 minutes is a shame. The movie surely could have used 15 more minutes to make us care about the characters or add a few more interesting action scenes towards the end. Still, it's entertaining and over sooner than you can blink, with lots of really nasty death scenes. So not bad for a rainy afternoon.
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 24, 2007
A luxury cruise liner is sunk by a rogue wave. A group of passengers try to make their way off the sinking ship. Kurt is good at these disaster / action movies. It's not quite Titanic, as it's a bit over dramatic. Good effects.
Gx7
Gx7

July 4, 2008
Holy crap! I loved watching this!

Suprisingly enough, there were very few annoying characters in it, (which most movies of this genre seem to have a lot of; Yknow, to get the audiences emotions all rilled up, like, damn that bastard! lol!)
Anyway, I thought that kid (Jimmy Bennet) did very good acting!

The story actually came from a novel by Paul William Gallico in 1969.

Havent seen the first film (The Poseideon Adventure - 1972), maybe Ill try to watch that as well, but for this movie alone, I found it to be AWESOME!

Dont really care what others had to say, I found it good and thrilling, had me hooked every step of the way!

Tight gripping! Dont forget to breathe! *2 thumbs up!*
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 28, 2007
Some good carnage sceens. That's about it.