Five Favorite Films with Uwe Boll

The Postal director has some surprising classics to share.

Uwe Boll Sure, he's confronted his critics -- and Michael Bay -- in the most unusual ways. And yes, he's turned a some of your most beloved video game titles into big-screen clunkers (none of which have yet broken 11 percent on the Tomatometer*). Heck, the man who gave us such stinkers as Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, and Dungeon Siege: In the Name of the King has even agreed to retire if an online petition asking him to simply "stop" reaches one million signatures. But we bet you never expected Uwe Boll to pick veritable classics of cinema as his favorite films of all time...

Read on for Dr. Uwe Boll's five favorite films, as told to RT.

*Boll's latest film, the political satire Postal, currently has a career-high 29 percent Tomatometer.

One of my all-time favorites is Apocalypse Now, because it shows the craziness of war, and you have the feeling that the shooting also was a big adventure. And this is what I like.

What is lost, if you see war movies today -- not like Pearl Harbor, that's one of the worst movies of all time -- but like Mel Gibson's Once We Were Warriors or Soldiers or whatever (2002's We Were Soldiers), all that stuff, you feel it's all fake. You feel they go in the evenings to their hotel rooms and it's all good.

But in Apocalypse Now, you feel like these guys were f---ed!

I love a big adventure; it's one of the reasons I like Dances with Wolves, also on the list. Because I feel that this was also a big adventure [to film] and I like the very realistic feeling, what Kevin Costner did with that movie. I love that movie. It's emotional, and it's real, in a way. I really like it.

[Editor's note: check back for next week's full interview with Uwe Boll as he tells us how he almost got Kevin Costner to join the cast of Dungeon Siege: In the Name of the King!]

A Clockwork Orange would be [on the list]. Clockwork Orange and Citizen Kane, because they're both all-time favorites, and I think Orson Welles did with Citizen Kane so much interesting stuff for the year that he did it, what nobody else did before. The same with Kubrick for Clockwork Orange. They broke a lot of filmmaking rules and the subject matter is, for me, very interesting.

Citizen Kane is, like you see now, P.T. Anderson's There Will Be Blood. It's a good movie; it's the same kind of thing. You follow a crazy character who gets really successful, and in a very bitter way. So I really love those two movies.

It's still one of the biggest crimes of Hollywood that they didn't finance Orson Welles' movies after a while. To have a genius like him, sitting there and trying to get his last 5,000 bucks together to make another movie after he did a movie like this... (Welles' follow-up to Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, was notoriously completed and re-cut without his input.)

Number five...like I said, it always changes. There are a lot of good movies out there [that are] from time to time favorites. I would do The Searchers, from John Ford, with John Wayne. I'm a big Western fan, and this was a great Western.

John Ford is interesting; if you are younger, you don't appreciate John Ford so much. I liked more Howard Hawks and William Wyler Westerns when I was younger, and now, later, if you get a little older, you like John Ford more and more. It's the same with some writers. There are some writers you love when you're 20, and when you're 30 or 35 you think it's completely silly bulls--t what the guys wrote (laughs), but you appreciate other writers.

Tune in next week for our full interview with Uwe Boll, in which the Postal director shares the secret of how exactly he makes money on flicks like Alone in the Dark and Dungeon Siege: In the Name of the King, and answers your submitted questions!

Comments

zzzz

m z

I didn't know this guy had even seen a movie before.

May 13 - 04:38 PM

idontgetit

joe mark

yeah, now there is no excuse.

May 13 - 06:18 PM

MovieSamurai

j _

good stuff

May 13 - 11:09 PM

Brad B.

Brad Belemjian

haha i couldn't agree with you more

May 24 - 10:58 AM

Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris

His taste in movies is inspiring. I, too, enjoyed Mel Gibson's "Once We Were Warriors or Soldiers or Whatever."

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure Coppola himself would feel that anyone who thinks the shooting of Apocalypse Now qualified as "a big adventure" needs to be tied to a rock and dumped in a Vietnamese swamp.

Jun 7 - 09:47 AM

thereign

lance berry

So obviously, Uwe is from the Bizarro World. It all makes sense now! "These am best films me ever see! Therefore, me try real hard to make movies real BAD just like them!"

I can't even believe he'd comprehend the subtleties found within most of these films, but at least he's got some...SOME...taste.

May 13 - 04:39 PM

GriffyMurphy

Frank McCallister

Uwe Boll is one of the largest psychological experiments ever perpetuated. The question of whether people would see a movie that was intentionally designed to lose money has been answered. Unfortunately the mass of animated flesh known as Uwe Boll that was once controlled by a puppetmaster has gained self-awareness and is now unstoppable. Mankind is doomed.

May 13 - 04:46 PM

jimtrots

james trottier

Once again, people think that just because someone makes **** movies they can't appreciate good movies. While people like Christopher Nolan, Quenitin Tarantino, and Alfonso Cuaron make it look easy it is hard to make a really great movie. I have to admit though that I have never even heard of Blackwoods or In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Seige Tale.

May 13 - 04:49 PM

ZiGyStRdUsT

Carlos Monino

you'd think that if he really liked these movies he would strive to make good movies. How are any of the movies he has listed as his top five any inspiration for his own debauchery?

May 13 - 04:49 PM

Bartimaeus

Emmanuel Mark

I Love Uwe Boll, his character,I think he's really funny and he should try documentaries/mockumentaries I think He'd be good at that

May 13 - 04:57 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

I'm with you, Bartimaeus. Even if his movies are not so good, you can't help but admire his sheer ballsiness. And, having met him twice now, I can attest that Uwe Boll is a smart dude - and a fascinating conversation partner.

May 13 - 05:05 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Bruce, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Stephen Dorff (in many, many years) might look kind of like Uwe. Although Uwe's not as filled with rage as Dorff.

May 13 - 05:24 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

that and he has never fought Blade over the survival of mankind.

May 14 - 09:31 AM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Ewe Boll ROCKS! Seriously I have to admire the heck out of him. His end product may well be terrible but he has tenacity in spades and he gets things done. Screw all the film geeks in their parents basements whining about this guy. Do you know how bloody hard it is to get a movie made? Do you have any idea how complex and daunting the process of film making is? Sure he's not actually any good, but he's figured out a way to get it done. I haven't figured that out yet and he has, so really, how can I diss him? He's doing better than me. And he's doing better than most of you too.

May 13 - 04:58 PM

yakabo

Jake Turner

Uwe Boll is able to keep making crappy movies because of a tax law in Germany that allows investors in German films to write all their investments off as tax deductions. i.e.,loans. So they can take out a loan and invest in a movie made in Germany and not have to pay back the loan. The only thing they have to pay are taxes on the profit of the movie......which for Boll is an all-time total of.......$0. oh ya, and if the movie doesnt turn a profit, the investor gets a write off. meaning they dont have to pay. technically hes using the system correctly...but hes abusing it...the tax deductions are in place to encourage investors to invest in German films and help the German film industry. But Boll keeps making terrible movies that never make any money. Hes just wasting money.
and personally, I think hes a douche.

May 14 - 02:08 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

May 13 - 05:05 PM

eldudarino

ted henkels

im sure im not the first to mention it but uwe boll reminds me of ed wood. somebody so in love with movies but can't manage to direct anything even remotely similar to a descent film.

btw the searchers is a racist pos.

May 13 - 05:14 PM

citizenjames

James Ford

is THE SEARCHERS a POS because the characters are racist or is it a POS even if they weren't? in one instance it means an opinion (probably varying from your own) deems a movie good or bad. john wayne's evan is an obsessed racist and it isn't glorified (like BIRTH OF A NATION where the klansmen are the heroes rescuing white women). his character is ugly and vile to the point he's willing to kill his own neice.

now i think MISSISSIPPI BURNING is a racist POS because it takes an actual event and then fictionalizes it making the black people who created and pushed the american civil rights movement to the side while white FBI agents pushed for change. that's the blatantly offensive. if they wanted to tell a story about southern racism they could have fictionalized all the events like IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT.

www.jamesford.wordpress.com

May 14 - 05:26 AM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

The scariest thing is that Ed Wood was a huge Orson Welles fan.

40 years from now Tim Burton is going to make a biopic about him. Who c/w/should play Uwe Boll?

May 13 - 05:20 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Lol that would be ausome. For someone who makes shi.tty movies he sure likes the best movies.

May 13 - 05:22 PM

doktorhorror

Doktor Horror

You. So keep in shape.

May 19 - 08:32 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

May 13 - 05:22 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

May 13 - 05:24 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

that and he has never fought Blade over the survival of mankind.

May 14 - 09:31 AM

Jimbo93

Conor Holt

What does it say about modern filmmaking that your favorite movies can be great and your own movies can be so terrible?

May 13 - 05:25 PM

jerseycajun

Justin Miller

All this proves is that one can appreciate good art while being completely incapable of producing it yourself.

I like the line about "Pearl Harbor" though.

Perfect byline we'll never see: "Even Ewe Boll thinks it's crap!"

May 13 - 05:28 PM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Anyone else think that the photo above of Uwe Boll looks like Terry Gilliam?

Ahh thats it! It is Terry Gilliam! And Uwe Boll is a python character he is pretending to be, and all his Uwe Boll films are just a big gag. Its a social experiment he is conducting on us to see if we find it funny or something. Well Gilliam, I love your usual films, bot sure about this stunt though.

Make Jabberwocky 2 instead!

May 13 - 06:12 PM

witherwings

Jamie Lynn

I don't think he really likes these movies. I think he thinks he likes them because the greats do. If he grew up in a cave and was shown 100 random movies, I don't think he would've picked these five.

May 13 - 06:12 PM

idontgetit

joe mark

yeah, now there is no excuse.

May 13 - 06:18 PM

Project2501

Chelsea Paulsen

I'd been meaning to sign that petition... I want to do my part to make sure that his future films never see the light of day, so that my unborn children can grow up in a Boll free world.

May 13 - 06:35 PM

Hamboner

Brian Lorenzen

Yeah, these are kind of generic answers to the "what's your favorite movie" question and for most of them his rationale is "It looks like they had a hard time making it, so its good."

I like the guy, but I don't think this proves anything about having taste in movies. If anything, someone who shoots out standards like this without any odd or random entries is just trying to sound smarter than they are.

It's like if I said: the Godfather, Metropolis, Dr. Strangelove, or any other of the standard "best film ever" contenders. You'd think I was a pretentious tool. Anyone's real list of favorites will have some odd ones thrown in there. I like movies that have people with superpowers.

And breasts.

May 13 - 06:45 PM

omelette

Bobby Brown

I have yet to see a Uwe Boll film. Maybe that's why I don't hate him, I actually think he's really funny. It's amusing to watch everyone bash him to death, he doesn't even seem to care that he gets so much hate.

May 13 - 06:53 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast